Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122215 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3165 on: May 31, 2016, 04:44:28 PM »

I've been watching the web-cam of the Dyfi Osprey Project

Dulciana

« Reply #3166 on: June 01, 2016, 07:24:40 AM »

We've been living in our flat for nearly nine years and we've just discovered our lovely, big local park!  Down in a dip, there's a large pond with ducks, swans and a heron and round about, loads of people were out walking their dogs.   Didn't matter that there were planes flying overhead from time to time - it was (is!) all so natural and wild-life-y. 

babyjane

« Reply #3167 on: June 01, 2016, 09:04:08 AM »

these places are lovely, glad you found yours. 

We are so lucky where we live.  In one direction we have natural woods, in other directions we have playing fields and a short drive takes us to more delights.  A great place to live with a dog  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3168 on: June 01, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »

20 jackdaws here this morning after I put live meal worms out  ::) plus starlings, the blackbird is cheeping gently when she wants feeding, hopping round my slippers  ;D.  I think I was missed last week as robin has been here too. 

HUGE hedgehog poo round the garden so it's been feeding well. 

Hurdity

« Reply #3169 on: June 01, 2016, 05:08:32 PM »

So pleased that all the nyjer seed has been eaten from the very small (ready-filled) feeder I bought from RSPB to see if anything would be attracted! I haven't actually seen any birds eat it though - but I actually had to go and buy some seed today.  I now hear the woodpecker (greater spotted)  visit the feeders every morning - about 5 am - giving its characteristic call note :) .

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3170 on: June 01, 2016, 05:26:36 PM »

Eaten: or blown out in the wind?

Hurdity

« Reply #3171 on: June 01, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »

Whaaaat? C'est impossible!!! They couldn't blow out of a long plastic tube with minute hole for pecking! Anyway they stayed the same level for ages and then I noticed them going down a little - and then a lot and then all gone while we were away :)

I will look out for what's eating them but that feeder is in the back garden by the veggies and don't tend to watch out there ....

Hurdity x

Cazikins

« Reply #3172 on: June 01, 2016, 08:58:31 PM »

I was sitting on the settee chatting to hubby early this evening, I looked up out of the front window & saw about 10 cows running up our road in front of the houses opposite...... :o :o

They were trampling through front lawns & making a hell of a noise. I could not believe it.

Seems they had escaped from the local farm down the lane & decided to take a look around the village.

Hubby jumped up, put his boots on & went out to help herd them back down the lane to the farm. Luckily he use to work on a farm & is very confident with cattle (unlike me a townie).

After about 20 minutes hubby & a few other locals returned safely to their homes - but not before most of them had trampled cow s**t through their houses  ;D ;D.
I shouldn't laugh really as we were that close to doing it ourselves.

We know the farmer as he frequents the local pub  :). he has promised a pint on the bar tonight for hubby.

I shall probably have dreams now tonight involving cows.........

CLKD

« Reply #3173 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »

Did U - dream of cows  ;D

Many years ago we had horses through our open-plan Estate, apparently.  Himself and I never heard a thing  ::)

Cazikins

« Reply #3174 on: June 03, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »

Did U - dream of cows  ;D

No surprisingly not...
They have certainly left a lot of poo around the estate though. People were getting the hoses out on their drives etc to get rid of the ****.

All has been restored back to normal in the village..... for now.

CLKD

« Reply #3175 on: June 03, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »

Not washing it down the drains  :o …….. why not collect it for the compost?

babyjane

« Reply #3176 on: June 04, 2016, 09:10:47 AM »

our garden feeding frenzy seems to be slowing down now the fledglings have fled.  Good job as we can't afford to keep shelling out £10 a week for seeds!

CLKD

« Reply #3177 on: June 04, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »

We didn't see the osprey yesterday but our garden has been busy since our return.  Felt bad about going away and not having live meal worms for them  ::).  As it is the bucket is almost empty and there won't be more until Tuesday .

babyjane

« Reply #3178 on: June 05, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »

out on our dog's evening walk yesterday two blackbirds, a male and a female, flew across the road.  the male was hit by a car and that was that, instantly  :'(  the female fluttered and twittered around what was left of him, it was so sad to see.  Then she hovered for a bit before flying off.  100 yards later we passed the woods where there was a frenzy of twittering going on, news of his demise was clearly being passed round. 

CLKD

« Reply #3179 on: June 05, 2016, 02:18:36 PM »

How sad.  They fly so low and often get hit by the bumper  :'(.  Hopefully her chicks are old enough for her to raise alone.

Sitting on the patio in the shade feeding our wild birds, robin is hopping round my feet  :-*
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 423