Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1124161 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3015 on: January 27, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »

Peregrine Falcon taken to HART Wildlife - ringed in Stockholm so it has travelled quite a way but it is ill with collision injuries plus the horrible trichomoniasis so chances of recovery might not be good https://www.facebook.com/hartwildliferescue/?pnref=story 

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #3016 on: January 31, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »

Well I didn't take part in the Garden Bird Watch but my neighbourhood Sparrowhawk did unfortunately! I wish she had just been intent on watching rather than killing. I know she was only out for her Sunday lunch at her nearest fast-food restaurant, but I am rather fond of my birds!!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #3017 on: February 01, 2016, 07:48:21 AM »

It's part of nature of course. A few years ago the female took the female bullfinch off the feeder right in the middle of nesting season. Bullfinches stay together for life - only apart when they are nesting so that each one gets a turn to feed - which was really upsetting. The male bullfinch appeared after an hour and was obviously looking for his mate. I was really pleased when he brought the chicks to the feeder a week later as I thought he would have abandoned them. Sparrowhawks are magnificent hunters but the garden was very hushed yesterday. Hopefully the birds will be back today but I expect she will be back so they'll have to have their wits about them! https://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/s/sparrowhawk/

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #3018 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:05 PM »

Oh I would have loved to see a sparrowhawk at my feeders Taz, even if a bird had been taken!!! I have only seen one once - it came and sat there on top of the birdtable roof itself, during the breeding season - but I didn't see it take anything. They wouldn't come now as it's not worth their bother - there are hardly any birds - most of them are at the back in our orchard (or neighbour's feeders next to this) or the fields.  Sad about the bullfinch though....but great that the chicks survived :).

I only recorded 6 species yesterday but my husband saw more from his survey point!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3019 on: February 01, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »

Several years ago I heard a sparrow hawk take a small bird, less than 5ft from my face - I heard the thud as the hawk hit the bird.  A few years later we had one fly into our greenhouse, it was after a tit which went over the greenhouse.  Himself got gloves on and took it from the back, a friend took photos before we released it.  There's been a resident here for years, I see it whip between the houses sometimes.

Not many birds about 2-day.

limpy

« Reply #3020 on: February 01, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »

Oh I would have loved to see a sparrowhawk at my feeders Taz, even if a bird had been taken!!!

Yes Hurdity it's really good seeing a Sparrowhawk killing something  :o

When  "a bird had been taken" results in lots of feathers being scattered as the bird is carried off, sometimes blood on the ground. Can't comment on the state of the other birds because they disappear for half a day. Hey, in this weather they don't need the food anyway  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #3021 on: February 02, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »

::) Limpy - sparrowhawks eat what exactly ?  Usually they eat the head first, 1 can often find the remains left behind.  Most protein in the brain apparently.

We have a flock of red kites locally because someone feeds them  >:( - they do not require extra food as they are scavengers and it hasn't been cold here  :-X

limpy

« Reply #3022 on: February 02, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »

::) Limpy - sparrowhawks eat what exactly ?

Not certain - when I've been in a position to watch (they usually carry their prey a fair way away) they hold the victim down with one leg and seem to go for throat and belly.

Taz2

« Reply #3023 on: February 02, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »

My female sparrowhawk eats most of the bird. It uses the fence post as it's "plucking post". It sometimes flies over the other side of the fence - next to the road on the grass verge - and eats it there. The youngsters take a while to get the hang of it and often just take the bird and fly straight down onto the grass with it. There is usually an explosion of feathers while they try to work out what to do and pluck and pluck disappearing in a sea of them. Mum waits around and finally, in exasperation probably, swoops down and carries off whatever's left leaving two (usually) bemused youngsters to sit there before they finally decide to follow her.

As for the Red Kites -I think that they do need food at the moment specifically because they are scavengers. As it has been mild there is less dead wildlife around. The cold spells usually kill off weaker birds etc. but this winter that hasn't happened. Feeding them is popular around here too. In fact our nearest town, Reading, has just completed a survey and discovered that upwards of 300 birds make the daily commute for food. http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/red-kites-commute-reading-food-8981827  Amazing to think of that many flying around! We do have a flock of around twelve locally which spend the day cruising over the school playing field on the lookout for anything edible.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #3024 on: February 02, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »

Oh I would have loved to see a sparrowhawk at my feeders Taz, even if a bird had been taken!!!

Yes Hurdity it's really good seeing a Sparrowhawk killing something  :o

When  "a bird had been taken" results in lots of feathers being scattered as the bird is carried off, sometimes blood on the ground. Can't comment on the state of the other birds because they disappear for half a day. Hey, in this weather they don't need the food anyway  :-\

Feeling better today Limpy?!!!

Thanks for that description Taz - great to be able to see them in action and there usually is not much blood!!!!!!!  That's what's so fascinating - their behaviour - I am interested in all forms of wildlife and it's all part of nature....Actually when our cat catches birds she rarely eats them sadly what a waste - at least the sparrowhawk is doing what it's supposed to. We get all sorts of blood and guts lying around our back door left by the cat, but mostly vole guts - bits of stomach, and there are often shot pheasants hanging up at this time of year and sometimes the odd duck, as our neighbouring farmer brings them to us after the shoot and they hang there until my husband gets around to plucking and gutting them... so we have tasty roasts and casseroles  ::)

I would like to come over where you live Taz or CLKD, and see the red kites - I have seen one twice I think!

sparkle my husband has seen goldcrests regularly in our orchard so they are here but not at the feeders in front garden - they are beautiful tiny birds!

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #3025 on: February 02, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »

Swap you a Sparrowhawk and a Red Kite for some Goldcrests?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3026 on: February 03, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »

;D "cruising over the school playing field on the lookout for anything edible …… "

Can they eat a whole child though  :-\  ;)

1 goldfinch yesterday

Red kites will eat worms, shrews, mice, bits of sheep, rarely birds because they tend to die in hedges.  In Wales they are fed on half chickens - half the World starves, the rest of us  ::) - and locally there is a rescue centre where they congregate >sigh<.  They have been known to take a kitten off a patio which was sleeping  :-\ ……….

If 1 travels along the M40 corridor 1 will see red kites  ;) or visit the Corby area where there are plenty at Rockingham. 

Taz2

« Reply #3027 on: February 15, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »

... or visit my garden to watch them soaring and gliding - they seem especially interested in my smallest cat who runs for cover whenever their shadows cross the garden! They have really weak beaks so rely on another predator such as a fox or buzzard to make a start on larger carcasses before they can eat.

Sad news about Penguins http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/644010/penguin-iceberg-colony-killed-die

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #3028 on: February 15, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »

Yes very sad Taz :(

...can I come and visit?  ::)

Hurdity x

dahliagirl

« Reply #3029 on: February 16, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »

We regularly see red kites on the A1 between Peterborough and Stamford.  I wish DH would look at the road though  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 423