Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122309 times)

Hurdity

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2925 on: November 08, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »

Hi there Taz - yes I meant the're not resident here in our small village - we never see them during the breeding season and never at all in our garden or at the feeders - but we do get the large flocks now and again and the odd murmuration which is lovely to see. I don't know where they breed near here?

The fungi were delicious - the ones we ate are very easy to identify but you fdo need someone to show you first of all and there are some that my husband eats that I won't because I am ultra-cautious!!

Also we have a group of coal tits that now come reguarly to the feeders - have only had the odd one in previous years, but they are getting through the whole sunflower seeds at a prodigious rate - striking looking birds and so fast!

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #2926 on: November 08, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »

I've noticed more coal tits this year too - in fact all of the different tits seem to have had a good season!

As for the starlings  some of mine nest under the eaves in our house. There's one hole that my husband forgets to fill in each year and then, when they start nesting, he remembers but can't obviously do it then and after they've gone and all is quiet again.. he forgets. I don't remind him because they do need more nesting sites. Maybe you should put up a nest box or perhaps you haven't got many holey trees around?  http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/s/starling/nesting.aspx

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2927 on: November 16, 2015, 05:26:03 PM »

....talking of tits we had a riot of them visiting today!! Coal tits galore still - but the long-tailed tits visited the fat balls, and blue tits and great tits were at the table and the peanuts - a pleasure to see all four common species here at once :)

Thanks Taz ( re starling info) We do have lots of trees as we have a small orchard and some of them are old and holey and there are plenty around but the birds (starlings) just don't seem to be resident in the village at any time of year - as I said, just the occasional vists from small flocks.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2928 on: November 16, 2015, 07:18:13 PM »

Anyone find that the birds don't eat the pink coloured fat balls?  I had to throw some out as they ignored them.  Perhaps they are too full of berries and goodness  ;D

I think it's been too warm for birds to be bothered with too much on the feeders yet, John is on The1Show so maybe they will be back by Thursday. 

Taz2

« Reply #2929 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:18 PM »

Mine have been busy all year but, then again, they always are. They never seem to have a holiday from my feeders!  ;D

Taz  x

Limpy

« Reply #2930 on: November 17, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »

Our birds have been very busy on the feeders.

Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Woodpecker, Nuthatch. Long Tail Tits occasionally.
Sparrow hawk wanting to feed on the gathered birds.

CLKD

« Reply #2931 on: November 17, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »

Sparrowhawk will take 1 bird at a time  ;)
Anyone know why there is sweet corn in the black sunflower seeds  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #2932 on: November 17, 2015, 01:48:20 PM »

Sparrowhawk will take 1 bird at a time  ;)

Well that's OK then   ???
The one bird still ends up pretty dead though  ???

The SH then keeps coming back.

CLKD

« Reply #2933 on: November 17, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »

Yep.  If we put out food it is like hanging chocolate on a C.mas tree  ;) - I have counted 7 blue tits and 3 Great tits on one nut feeder …….. mild 2-day, they are probably anticipating the forecast cold spell  :o

CLKD

« Reply #2934 on: November 27, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »

I keep reading reports about starlings dying in their dozens by drowning in ponds or puddles ……. hasn't happened in our pond fortunately, wonder where 'they' get these stories  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #2935 on: November 27, 2015, 11:53:57 PM »

It makes interesting reading especially as the Starling is on the Red list for endangered species http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/12016839/Starlings-mysteriously-drowning-en-masse-in-garden-ponds.html

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2936 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:39 AM »

I read that but haven't known of any evidence locally and certainly, 'our' starlings seem OK

Taz2

« Reply #2937 on: November 28, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »

It's only a very small number of reported incidences but it's just interesting as to why it happened.

"Researchers studied 12 separate incidents of starling drownings between 1993 and 2013 and found that in 10 of these incidents more than 10 birds died."

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2938 on: November 28, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »

Not many then  ::) and probably juveniles ………

Hurdity

« Reply #2939 on: December 01, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »

Saw a merlin (so my husband says that's what it was) dashing along the lane and dipping up and over the Devon hedges as I drove back this afternoon from being out working. It was tiny and very fast :) I can't recall having seen one for very many years...

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 423