Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1121594 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #750 on: December 01, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »

Our robin does that too!  I have bought new feeders/fat balls/nyger/sunflower seeds this morning as well as poultry mash for the chooks.  Need to de-ice the water again in a short while.  Once I have thawed out.  Waitrose was cosy this morning though didn't have time to meander!

Margarett

« Reply #751 on: December 01, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »

I put an over-ripe pear out on the  snow-covered lawn, and the blackbirds are fighting over it. Saw a flock of long-tailed tits too on my seeds! :)

CLKD

« Reply #752 on: December 01, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »

Great!  I spend a lot of time at the sink washing up ......... I can see most of the feeders from there!

Larney

« Reply #753 on: December 01, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »

I also bought a half coconut (£3 something) stuffed with suet and bits and have barely seen a bird on it!

I got one of these today and it has not attracted any interest apart from the dog who wonders what it is.
They've never been successful for me. Today I melted some very cheap lard, added sunflower hearts and out-of-date sultanas and let it set in tubs, with string through the middle. I've hung them up, but only a robin found them before it went dark.

Eddie

« Reply #754 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »

I've got 6 of these that i re-fill, the birds all sit on top of the trees to wait for them. You can see in my wee pic. Eddie. x

CLKD

« Reply #755 on: December 02, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »

Oh *that's* what it is in your piccie Eddie  :D

Quials moved into the shed 'cos I couldn't open the greenhouse door easily.  Wild birds fed. Water replensished ..... snowing  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #756 on: December 02, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »

I can take a while for the birds to get used to it Larky - even when they are very hungry. what sort of seed have you got on offer - they can be fussy eaters  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #757 on: December 02, 2010, 11:47:29 PM »

A lot of the seed mixes are not really that brilliant I'm afraid but birds normally manage to pick a few bits and pieces out that they like. I feed Sunflower hearts plus black sunflower seeds and this suits most finches, sparrows and tits.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #758 on: December 03, 2010, 07:54:38 AM »

I have to put on Winter wet weathers, warm socks and wellies, take a kettle of boiling water and a saucepan and defrost the 3 ponds this morning  >:( ........

Taz2

« Reply #759 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »

I don't bother with the pond as it isn't that big and the pump is still keeping the waterfall trickling. I have been out and put the feeders back up so that they have unfrozen food for breakfast. My Willie-Wagtail hasn't appeared yet so am a little bit worried about him. He is normally here by 7. I have upwards of thirty goldfinches on the feeders - they are always there just before it gets light and when I put the feeders up I can hear them twittering away in the branches of the plum tree.

Blackbirds are enjoying the sultanas but the robins are fighting so much that they aren't getting any of the grated cheese they love so much and this is being enjoyed by the sparrows who aren't as stupid as to waste their energy defending territories.

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #760 on: December 03, 2010, 09:18:37 AM »

I don't feed our birds but we have a large, wildlife friendly garden so always have lots of birds around. Any point in me putting something out during this deep snow and if so, what? They've probably all gone somewhere else where somebody feeds them all the time anyway!
Bixby x

CLKD

« Reply #761 on: December 03, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »

Don't start if you can't continue!  I spend over £1,000 a year on live meal worms plus mixed bag of seed, sunflowers, nyger seeds .......

I was de-icing the pond and the saucepan fell in as the ice melted  >:( so what now, the stick was too short, I was not going to put my hand in but managed to get a cane and eventually  ::)   ;D

silverlady

Taz2

« Reply #763 on: December 03, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »

Aww Larky - is there lots of cover for the birds or is the feeder a bit in the open?

Taz x

viv

« Reply #764 on: December 03, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »

I moved (well hubby moved) feeders nearer some cover and I have had loads of birds in this extreme weather. I have been putting out water and my fat little robin has loved it. Only problem is the dog has been eating the things they knock off the bird table. Anyone would think I did not feed her  ;)

Viv
x
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 423