Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1152135 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4845 on: November 06, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »

send me an e-mail ? then I can wave  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #4846 on: November 06, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »

I often forget to fill-up my feeders - I mean they are filled up most of the time but eg last couple of days they had run out and needed washing out so only did that today. I can't imagine this doing any harm. The birds will have their regular routes - and anyway in the wild they will have to search for food not necessarily flying to where they know it will be. I agree in v cold weather they should be topped up always but it's mild at the moment and there are tons of berries and apples about, especially in rural areas!

I heard and saw the fieldfare flock flying over today at last! That amazing chattering sound - gives me shivers when I hear it!

Sounds lovely jaypo - is this a holiday or where you live?

Hurdity x

jaypo

« Reply #4847 on: November 06, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »

I live in Wiltshire hurdity but I'm from Aberdeen originally so my OH bought us a lodge just outside Dunoon for a compromise   ;D we try and go every two weeks if we can but the business has been busy lately so haven't been up in over 6 weeks,hence all the feeders empty x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4848 on: November 06, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »

We have very few birds in the garden at the moment mind you I have no food out for them!  This year has been poor.  I had loads and loads of full feeders out in the cold weather but barely a bird and I was throwing peanuts and food away that had gone mouldy.  I thoroughly washed and dried everything and refilled but no real success.

We have lived in this house about 30 years and in all those years we have had lovely house martins.  I recorded their arrival and departure.  Last year they arrived, stayed about a week and disappeared.  This year they arrived, started nest building and cleared off again.  about a month later they came back, started building and disappeared again.  Very disappointing. 

jaypo

« Reply #4849 on: November 07, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »

I wasted heaps of food too(at home) but I persevered and they did come,they absolutely love sunflower hearts,don't buy expensive stuff to start with,I bought a huge bag from wilko and kept putting that out and after a week or so one by one they appeared 😊

CLKD

« Reply #4850 on: November 07, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »

I buy hearts, less messy than black seeds and the pigeons clear up under the feeders which I move several times a week anyway.  Goldfinches everywhere, think that they know it's going 2 get colder.  8 out there now.  That is 8 degrees .......

CLKD

« Reply #4851 on: November 12, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »

5 long tailed tits around this morning  :-*

The birds will be through all the sunflower hearts by the time I get back at the end of the week but the nuts should keep them OK ..... I need to buy more sacks on Sat.  :o

Wrensong

« Reply #4852 on: November 20, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »

Very cold here again today  :o.  Early morning trip out yesterday with heavy frost sugar-icing fields & hedgerows.  Looked magical, sparkling as the rising sun glinted on ice crystals here & there  :).  Magpies bouncing around comically, a kestrel perched primly in a roadside thorn tree, scanning the field for breakfast. 

No frost today, but feels just as cold!  No birds on the feeders as I write, but past few days long tailed tits are back  :).  Yaaaay!  Wren aside, they are my favourite garden bird & always arrive en masse, mostly in Winter.  I love their acrobatics on the feeders & in the potted acer.  They are soooo cute viewed through binoculars.  Little pink, white & black fluffy golf balls! :)

Two hoots

« Reply #4853 on: November 20, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »

Birds are busy on our feeders, one has sunflower hearts and the other peanuts. On the weekend we had a very tame robin, not seen it before but I was afraid to step back in case I squashed it, it was that close  ;D

If you looked outside now what bird would definitely be there, for me it's chaffinch, always hopping an the ground under the feeders.

CLKD

« Reply #4854 on: November 20, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »

We have 1 female chaffinch.  No green finches due to disease  :-\

Nowt about now, it's dark  ;D. I did hear our wren yesterday morning  :-*

Two hoots

« Reply #4855 on: November 20, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »

We had lots of green finches, always squabbling but don't see them anymore either  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #4856 on: November 20, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »

they suffered UK-wide from a virus picked up from dirty feeders  :'(

Wrensong

« Reply #4857 on: November 21, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »

Yes, greenfinches were our most common garden bird here until a few years ago.  Rarely see one now. :'(

jaypo

« Reply #4858 on: November 25, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »

I know it not bird related but did anyone read about the 14000 sheep drowning on board a sinking ship in the Black Sea?rescuers have gone back because they hear noises from inside the container  :'( :'(

CLKD

« Reply #4859 on: November 25, 2019, 09:13:37 PM »

How awful  :'( ........

Sparrow hawk has visited our gardens every day this week.  Must be hungry ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 423