Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1111442 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4200 on: October 23, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »

That's fine.  It's there this evening, I think it was hiding under a shrub because as soon as I walked away from putting food down, it ambled out  ;D.  It isn't cold here.  It's growing rapidly, we can almost hear it .........

Cazikins

« Reply #4201 on: October 23, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »

That's fine.  It's there this evening,

But one evening it might not be & you will never know what happened...

Taz2

« Reply #4202 on: October 23, 2018, 11:39:24 PM »

Thanks Cazi. CLKD if it's small it hasn't got time to lay down the brown fat before winter hits. Without brown fat hibernation isn't triggered and as the food supply dwindles, the weather turns colder the underweight hedgehogs starve and freeze to death. This year is more problematic than normal as more late pregnancies have happened due to the extended mild weather. If it is under 600 grams it will need to be overwintered in a hutch and released in the spring.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4203 on: October 24, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »

Will it go to sleep or does it need to be poked every morning?  We have plenty of meal worms and cat food to hand ...... and several rescue centres locally.

Taz2

« Reply #4204 on: October 24, 2018, 05:54:25 PM »

It will be kept awake. Most rescue centres have a list of fosterers who over winter them under supervision. You take the hog to the rescue for a health check and they look after it from there. In the spring it's returned to you for release in its own territory. That's how our rescue works anyway. Maybe you could weigh it tonight as it's turning colder this weekend?

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #4205 on: October 24, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »

Here's the info from the rescue I volunteer for http://www.hartwildlife.org.uk. not sure if it's brought up the fostering part as I'm on my phone but it's under 'fostering'

Taz x

Krystal

« Reply #4206 on: October 24, 2018, 07:15:18 PM »

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent large birds namely magpies and pigeons from raiding the bird feeders. Last winter we had the feeders in a relatively open area until Monty Don from Gardeners World advised that the bird feeders are best placed in areas which give the little birds cover. The feeders were placed under and close to a wisteria and honeysuckle which are growing along a wall. The little birds do come and feed but those large birds still manage to shake the feeders so the food goes on to the ground until the feeders are empty. The local visiting cat does not come so much now as the sun is off that part of the garden until the afternoon. The cat did not catch the birds but deterred them. Any advice please?   Thank you.   

Taz2

« Reply #4207 on: October 24, 2018, 07:22:02 PM »

Sorry no personal advice on this one as I feed all of my visiting birds including doves and pigeons but you can get feeders with a cage around the outside which the larger birds can't get through. Magpies are not seed eaters so they shouldn't be a problem. Do you have saucers on the bottom of your feeders?

I'm currently a fast food feeding station for a female sparrowhawk!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4208 on: October 24, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »

Tnx Taz.

How many feeders do you put out?  I have 11+ during full Winter months.  I move them round to try and keep the ground beneath clean.

Magpies etc. clear up underneath.  They don't raid our feeders but wait underneath.   

Taz2

« Reply #4209 on: October 24, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »

I've got a small garden so have two large mixed seed, one Niger seed, one sunflower hearts and a peanut feeder. I also put all table scraps, left over cat food and a daily breakfast of wholemeal breadcrumbs, digestive biscuits, sultanas and grated cheese on the birdtable. There's still over 30 starlings eating that each morning. It all costs a lot though as apart from the Niger seed they get filled every day. I feed all year round.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4210 on: October 25, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »

I feed all year too.  At present they aren't bothered with the meal worms ........ but are busy on sunflower hearts and peanuts.  Getting the scales and a bowl ready for later ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #4211 on: October 25, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »

I look forward to news on the hedgehog weighing!

Taz x  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #4212 on: October 25, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent large birds namely magpies and pigeons from raiding the bird feeders. Last winter we had the feeders in a relatively open area until Monty Don from Gardeners World advised that the bird feeders are best placed in areas which give the little birds cover. The feeders were placed under and close to a wisteria and honeysuckle which are growing along a wall. The little birds do come and feed but those large birds still manage to shake the feeders so the food goes on to the ground until the feeders are empty. The local visiting cat does not come so much now as the sun is off that part of the garden until the afternoon. The cat did not catch the birds but deterred them. Any advice please?   Thank you.

As Taz suggested - I have one with a cage round for the fatballs otherwise the magpies and jackdaws eat the lot within minutes and would be far too expensive!! Only thing is the blackbirds can't get in although they can feed on what drops off to the ground.... If you have too much cover then you can't see the birds! I think as long as there is cover nearby - somewhere to hide, perch and fly to the feeders from you should be OK if in the open although the sparrowhawks will have a good view  ::)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #4213 on: October 25, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »

Sparrow hawks coast along the hedgerows in order to flush out small birds.  I haven't seen ours for ages.  I have feeders close to shrubs and some in the open ..........

Two hoots

« Reply #4214 on: October 25, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »

I feed all year too.  At present they aren't bothered with the meal worms ........ but are busy on sunflower hearts and peanuts.  Getting the scales and a bowl ready for later ;-)

I have the theme tune to the film Rocky playing in my head now  ;D

.....it's the eye of the tiger......... It's the thrill of the fight ........
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:33:12 PM by Two hoots »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 422