Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1116459 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4080 on: June 01, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »

It happens a lot across the UK.  Leicestershire had fly problems years ago.  My friend would have her windows covered with flies.  In the attic, in the cob-webs, in the door ways ......... no known cause other than weather conditions.  Maybe use a hoover?

We have spent 4 hours watching our garden birds.  We are at this moment being sung at by a male blackbird.  Which will stop when I feed him.  There are 3 locally, two which collect meal worms from us.  If they meet  :o.  We have 2 pairs of blue tit parents.  One set of parents are calling for their young to leave the box but we think that they are too full and lazy as the parents take a meal worm in and if it isn't grabbed, come out again  ::).  Blue and great tits have blue legs, don't you know  :D.

Sparrows follow on quietly.  Starlings aren't far behind.  Robin ......... can't pick the roses, a) they are too wet after the storm last night and b) one is growing up the post that the nest box is fixed too. 

I don't have much to do with the RSPCA.  Too much money to be spent on not a lot!  As with hedgehog rescue, there are various swan charities across the UK, if necessary phone somewhere like Slimbridge in Gloucestershire for advice. 

No honey bees but plenty of bumbles on the raspberry flowers today.  Also I have a thistle plant and they are on that.  Tadpoles are beginning to show leg stumps. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4081 on: June 01, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »

Yeah two hoots,
It's horrendous, those poor people,
Apparently, the council was down there today trying to sort it out,
According to the radio, hope they sort it soon.
One lady said, she looks after the old lady next door, think she said she was
92. (?) and when she went round in the morning at 6am, she found
her sitting in the chair covered in flies!!
Unbelievable.

Two hoots

« Reply #4082 on: June 01, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »

Oh no that's terrible poor lady  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #4083 on: June 05, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »

Right now - I have a blackbird singing his socks off
Another male round my feet for meal worms as well as a pair of blue-tits - young fledged earlier with lots of noise from the magpies and blackbirds  :o as well as a great tit who seems to be raising a brood on his own  ???
A wren and a dunnock are joining in it's like the Dawn Chorus  ;D

Sun is shining on the back of my neck. 

Two hoots

« Reply #4084 on: June 05, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »

It's a lovely time if the year just to take a few minutes and sit, listen to the birds and see the garden looking green and lush  :). Our peony buds are huge I can't wait for them to open, it's 51 weeks waiting for 1 week of beauty  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4085 on: June 05, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »

Peony plants can be so temperamental!  Any slight breeze and they give up their flowers instantly  >:(.  Lovely though.

Krystal

« Reply #4086 on: June 10, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »

Just been for a walk and have seen that the nesting swan has hatched three cygnets. Did not want to stand there too long in case horrible people saw the swan nest and came back later to destroy the nest and hurt the swans. The local country park has had problems in the last two years with nests being destroyed and some of the swans being shot with a crossbow. The location of the nest we keep an eye on is about a mile away from the country park. Perhaps the swans remember what has happened in previous years. The sun is shining although the wind is still cool. Have not seen any herons or crows hanging around to pick off the swan babies. We always know when the baby ducks are about to hatch as the heron turns up and waits and waits ..... Hope everyone reading this are well. 

CLKD

« Reply #4087 on: June 10, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »

I can hear:

a male blackbird
sparrows
a wood pigeon
rooks

I am not flavour of the day as I have run out of live meal worms and apparently, dried ones Simply Won't DO! even soaked  ::)

We saw blue tits leave the nest box in Mum's garden, I picked two up as they were waddling towards the road. One sat on my finger and gave me The Stare  ;D ...... the parents soon came to feed them once they were safely in a shrub which they promptly fell out of  ::).  The ones here went too but we don't know how many although the magpies were present, hopefully they didn't catch any, we could hear them twittering close by  :).  The gardens are flourishing!

Krystal

« Reply #4088 on: June 12, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »

I love the sound a blackbird makes especially in the evening, to me it is the sign that at the end of the day all is well.

The magpies are getting very cheeky and have taken to swinging on the tubular feeder so that the nuts and seeds fall out. When the grass was mown last week tiny amounts of peanuts were found hidden in the grass all over the garden. Does anyone know if this is the work of Mr and Mrs Magpie?

The magpies have also taken to sitting on the outside window ledges on the first floor. I first saw this at my neighbours house, it looked as if they wanted to get in. Now I do not want to open the windows too far in case I find two Magpies making themselves comfortable in my house!   

Mother and father swan have been seen taking the baby cygnets for a swim. Could not count them as too much long grass in the way.

We do not use the large feeder with the anti squirrel cage around it at the moment and the pigeons have gone elsewhere for their entertainment.    Currently feeding the little ones with seed and peanuts everyone seems happy with this as it is all gone and no mess on the ground. Apart from the hidden ones.

CLKD

« Reply #4089 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »

Sadly I can't buy live meal worms for love nor money and my birds are hopping round my feet in the day ......... baby blue tits - about 8 this morning at 7.15 - were brought to the pea-nut feeders and shown how by the parents  :)

Have watched an osprey and heard the cuckoo.

CLKD

« Reply #4090 on: June 13, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »

Have been to a shop that sells reptiles.  They have meal worms ;-).  But the birds have fled ....... except the wren who couldn't believe her eyes at the SIZE of them  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4091 on: June 13, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »

My dog is REALLY blowing her coat now,
It's coming out in big clumps, I've started brushing her over the park,
instead of using the ‘blaster' (which is like an industrial hairdryer. Lol)
in the garden, last time we used it, I had to go and sweep all the hair blown out,
of our neighbors gardens, it was everywhere, unbelievable, stuck in trees, plants
in between peoples block paving, all down the street, it was like a hair storm. Lol   ;D
Google it, and you'll see what it's like. She's an Akita.
It's nice though when the birds take it, which they do in the park, for there nests..
She really is a great big fur ball..lol  ::)
Jd x.

CLKD

« Reply #4092 on: June 13, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »

Akitas are HUGE - and come in different colours.  We split a blue tit nest apart today, the young fledged last Tuesday.   We had plucked a pheasant and emptied a pillow onto the compost so there were feathers; lots of moss which formed the bottom; fluff from somewhere; and cotton wool.  Now pulled apart on the compost so that it can be used again.  It was quite clean inside considering ...... sometimes the nest is full of mites  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4093 on: June 14, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »

I sit here trying to type and the baby bluets with parents are round my feet for  live  meal worms  ::).  Which are as rare as hens teeth which means that the dried ones will go up in price!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4094 on: June 14, 2018, 06:28:49 PM »

Ohhh how lovely CLKD.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 422