Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1145422 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2865 on: August 11, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »

Mine have never stopped "locating the feeders". It's cost me a fortune as they begin feeding early in the morning and carry on until late into the evening. Lovely to see them though especially when they bring their babies.

Robins can be so tame can't they? We have so many in the garden this year. Seven young ones who are all now being chased away by, I guess, their various dads.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #2866 on: August 12, 2015, 08:18:59 AM »

We get many different birds on the feeders including woodpeckers. Less welcome visitors are wood pigeons. Their population has increased considerably in the last few years. They can be very noisy particularly in the early hours of day light. They run up and down the roof with hob nail boots on and we have become aware that some of the ridge tiles must be loose and make a grinding noise when landed on. They flap their wings very loudly and chase each other waking me up. As bad as DH's snoring! And the bird mess..... and destroyed the bird bath! Thank goodness they don't seem to deter other birds.

Taz2

« Reply #2867 on: August 12, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »

We've got lots of wood pigeons too but I do like them. They are the only UK bird who can drink with their beak in the water using it like a straw rather than having to tip their heads back and they feed their young on crop milk. Although their nests can look like an untidy bundle of twigs it actually takes up to two weeks to construct - each stick woven in carefully - the male brings all of the sticks to the female who sits there waiting to inspect each one and, if she doesn't like it, she throws it away and turns her back on him. I'm sure if she had arms she'd fold them!! They incubate the eggs for two weeks and then feed the nestlings for four weeks before, one day, just not coming back. Cue two really puzzled chicks who, eventually, clamber out of the nest and fly off.  They are big and ungainly looking though - although the feathers weigh more than the actual bird.

The collared doves are more of a nuisance to be honest. Eighteen at the minute all on the feeders or waiting in the tree. Really aggressive to the other birds too. It's make me laugh when they take off though sounding like they need oiling with that squeaky sound their wings make.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2868 on: August 26, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »

Saw a green woodpecker feeding on neighbour's lawn (ants I think according to husband?) for ages in the rain! Watched from our upstairs landing window!

Also we are overrun with wild blackberries - so have been picking and freezing them and eating on muesli for breakfast.

....and ...the fungi season has begun!! Husband found a giant puffball this morning in our orchard and we fried up slices for lunch - along with mushroom soup made by my husband from a basket of field mushrooms brought to us by neighbouring farmer. Yum!

These are the things I love about this time of year  :)

Hurdity x 

Taz2

« Reply #2869 on: August 26, 2015, 10:37:38 PM »

Yes!! Autumn is coming....  :D

The green woodpecker would have been after ants - it's their favourite food.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2870 on: August 27, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »

They also use the formic acid which ants spray to cleanse their feathers of bugs.  I heard a green woodpecker today but couldn't see it, however, I did see an osprey flying away with a trout  :o

Limpy

« Reply #2871 on: August 28, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »

Saw a young hare on the way back from lunch.
It was lovely, so leggy and elegant.

Limpy

« Reply #2872 on: August 28, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »

Sparkle the one we saw today did exactly the same thing.
I was so worried, we were driving slowly but I was concerned in case something came the other way.
Luckily it didn't and the hare ducked under a gate - phew

honeybun

« Reply #2873 on: August 28, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »

I haven't seen a hare in years but earlier this week we did. Again in the road.....wish they wouldn't do that  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2874 on: August 28, 2015, 05:14:09 PM »

Many years ago my dog found a leveret in the form, left by the doe when she went to feed.  It was such a lovely moment.

Hurdity

« Reply #2875 on: September 05, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »

If you're interested in ant behaviour then have a look at this

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/zombie-ants-encircle-ringing-phone

The website is really good as well "IFLS" = I F**** Love Science! Keeps us updated with all items of scientific interest in the news. They have a Facebook page....  :)

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #2876 on: September 05, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »

Thanks Hurdity. It does make me wonder just what we are doing to nature with all of our technology!  I follow Anthill Wood http://www.anthillwood.com/

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2877 on: September 08, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »

Thanks for the link Taz....Saw a young hare on the drive back from the coast today and haven't seen one for ages!

Hurdity x  :)

Limpy

« Reply #2878 on: September 08, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »

Had a small group of Long Tailed Tits flitting around an empty nut feeder.
OH sprints out to put nuts in feeder.
A Blue Tit showed up within 30 seconds.
Needless to say, the LTTs shoved off.

Taz2

« Reply #2879 on: September 08, 2015, 07:53:36 PM »

That's because there's no closed season for the brown hare sadly. Interesting info here http://www.hare-preservation-trust.co.uk/status.php  This charity is completely volunteer run so every donation does go to the cause.

Long tailed tits tend to swoop into a garden for a few minutes then go off again. They often follow the same pattern each day. Mine visit for five minutes at around eight each morning and then appear again just before 4.30. They are usually more than a match for blue tits. I love watching the ones in our local wood just before roosting time in the winter. They all congregate in a particular tree and the twittering they make is really lovely to listen too. Really evocative as everything is beginning to fall silent as the wintery night starts to fall.

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 423