Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1151170 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2715 on: May 24, 2015, 04:03:11 PM »

Your Good Deed for the week!

Taz2

« Reply #2716 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:48 PM »

I guess so. It didn't used to be such a trek as the hospital was only ten miles away but then they moved into their purpose built place which is lovely but it's twenty five miles away which does take that much longer and also costs on the petrol. Worth it though. A chimney sweep arrived while I was there with three baby jackdaws. He had done a job at a house which was being renovated and was assured by the builder that the nest in the chimney was empty but when he came to vacuum everything into the bag he found three really dusty and cross nestlings scrambling about. They were a feisty threesome though - should do ok.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #2717 on: May 24, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »

I'd only got my dressing gown on - nothing underneath it - so I was really hoping that it wouldn't suddenly fall open - not a nice sight for the neighbours. Could easily put them off their breakfast. Still you have to do these things sometimes. The cat that caught and then lost it has been backwards and forwards all day checking out the forget-me-not patch.. just in case..

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2718 on: May 25, 2015, 03:38:09 PM »

I learned last week that if a corvid is found on the ground it will not survive.  Rooks/crows/magpies are programmed to feed their young in the nests and when they fledge, in the tree canopy for at least 3-4 weeks.  If the young fall onto the ground the corvid won't recognise that it's young requires food! so it is essential to ring the local Wildlife Rescue for advice.

I thought I was too old to learn much else but that's 2 things in a week  :o

oldsheep

« Reply #2719 on: May 29, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »

Taz, that's a fantastic sounding facility near(ish) you. And so great what you did.

The baby parakeets sound a lot bigger, judging from the wing flapping that goes on at feeding time (I just get the noise through my flat's understairs cupboard). I'd expect no less noise from a duck or two  ;D  I expect they'll fly off soon.

Taz2

« Reply #2720 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »

I'm work as one of the volunteer casualty collectors for my area oldsheep so get to rescue lots of things. http://www.hartwildlife.org.uk/

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2721 on: May 29, 2015, 09:16:27 PM »

How about the Drake that has had a 'wake' - apparently after 25 years the fox got him  :o so the village flags have been at half mast  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #2722 on: May 31, 2015, 06:45:19 PM »

Went for a walk in the lanes today and looked up in some overhanging tress and there was a Little Owl sitting about 12 feet away from me in a branch with eyes semi-closed! - this was early afternoon. I couldn't believe it just sat there looking at me as I was talking to it saying how gorgeous it was (must have thought I was mad). After about a minute I looked away and as I looked back it decided to flap off a bit further along - never seen one that close!

Also my husband went to a weekend vintage show near Salisbury and there was a red kite circling the main area - wish I'd gone as I've only seen one a couple of times! (I know I know lots of you have them near you and see them every day!!!).

Fantastic amount of activity on the bird table and feeders, flocking and chirruping and babies flapping their wings and opening their mouths to be fed - lots and lots of sparrows - eating the seed as fast as I replenish it, blue tits, great tits, goldfinches, blackbirds - as well as a few jackdaws and collared doves. Lovely to see them so busy  :)

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #2723 on: May 31, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »

My son used to travel quite far up the western side of Scotland for work. One of the areas he went to had a lot of Red Kites.
The locals seemingly were less than impressed about the numbers they had ....due to the amount they poo, they were known....lovingly I'm sure, as Red Sh***tes.  ;D

I have never seen one yet  ::)

Lots of bats out and about at dusk here...which is late, around 10:30.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #2724 on: May 31, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »

We had a Little Owl in our fields for years.  I saw it every day when I walked  :scottie: …….. the tree where it bred is now down in a storm 5 years ago.  One day whilst alone, dog had gone on ahead: I could hear the female clacking and eventually I saw the reason: 3 owlets out of the nest.  1 was fully fledged, below on the next branch was one which was half fluffy and on the next branch down a sibling, *all* fluffy.  No camera.  No one to share it with.  I went 'oh', as you do and stood for ages, watching.

Along the same length of hedgerow I was mobbed by a wren - the reason, 3 young ones newly fledged.  That was the same year.

Lots of starlings here with gaping mouths, now gone into the fields.  Blue-tits not fledged yet ……

Kites everywhere locally  :whist:

Taz2

« Reply #2725 on: May 31, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »

"Our" blue tits who have nested under the eaves via a small hole in the brickwork fledged today - so proud of mum and dad as it's not been an easy spring. Not sure how many but at one time there were five in a row in the apple tree - what a noise! Yesterday walking with one of my sons in a really old forest near us we heard young tits but couldn't work out where they were when, really low down in an oak tree, we saw a tiny little face peeping out of a slit in the trunk. Great to watch the parents flying back and forth with caterpillars.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2726 on: May 31, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »

I hope that our tits will fledge quietly as there are 2 magpies around  :-\ ……… if not I will be shooing wildly  :D ……
Frogs everywhere these last couple of days, always a sign of a change in the weather ………
We saw a blue-tit nest in a metal lamp post today: the grill where all the gubbins is was hanging half off so the birds have taken advantage.  I watched 1 nest in the centre of a way post on a public footpath one summer, that was Great tits in and out.  Yet they don't use many of our boxes put up specially  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #2727 on: May 31, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »

Tit's fledge quietly? Can't see that happening!!  ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2728 on: June 01, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »

Neither can I  ;D - 1st robin is out, flew straight into our utility room, twice  ::) and when DH picked it up it swquaded loudly.  We put it in a shrub and hopefully the parent found it.  Magpies are being kept active on a pile of old grated cheese in another part of the garden.

DH could hear the blue-tits earlier but I as munching granola so that tweeting went over my head!

CLKD

« Reply #2729 on: June 04, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »

Due to very blustery winds earlier in the week our 1st rose stems cracked so yesterday I picked 5 newly opened blooms. 

Can't hear our bluetits babies and there is no activity around the next box.  :-\ - hopefully the magpie didn't get them!

A large cockchafer beetle was dead on the garden path …….. I thought I could hear some flapping against the bathroom window on Friday!
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 423