Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1124116 times)

Hurdity

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2550 on: March 20, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »

Heard our first chiff chaff in the orchard just after the eclipse.....

Hurdity x  :)

honeybun

« Reply #2551 on: March 20, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »

Enjoyed watching three starlings in our bird bath. All they needed was some bubble bath and a towel. If they had been in a swimming pool they would have been told off for splashing. There were two robins and a blue tit lining up for a turn.

It's really fun to watch.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2552 on: March 21, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »

When ever I put fresh water in a very large pot 'bottom' the birds queue up  ::) - I have a tiny plastic low food bowl which the wren uses it's tucked away out of sight of cats and larger birds.

honeybun

« Reply #2553 on: March 21, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »

Our bird bath is very well used. The blackbirds are the biggest splashers. The blue tits hardly make a ripple and the sparrows go in four at a time.
Great to watch.

Honeybun
X

purplenanny

« Reply #2554 on: March 21, 2015, 10:38:46 PM »

I love to watch the birds bathing, the pigeons sometimes just sit in there, hogging all the space!
Hubby saw our robins mating in the hawthorn tree yesterday, I am so excited we might be having baby robins! We have a huge ivy climbing on a wall so I think they may be nesting there?  We do have a robin nest box but it never seems to be used
I put out little pieces of suet, which the robins love (as do the blue tits)

PN x x

thorntrees

« Reply #2555 on: March 22, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »

Blackbirds are the biggest users of our birdbath. The other morning Mr Blackbird had his bath while Mrs Blackbird sat on the patio and watched then he flew off to dry his feathers and she hopped in for her splash. Reminded me of my in-laws, FIL would have his bath of an evening and then MIL followed using the same water!! -those were the days! Dull here this morning so no birds busy as yet.

Thorntrees

CLKD

« Reply #2556 on: March 22, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »

Sparrows are tweeting in the background; male blackbird is chirping close by for live meal worms; a wren is sending out a warning call so probably means a cat/several about ……. sun is pouring from the sky, pond water is gently bubbling …….

dazned

« Reply #2557 on: March 22, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »

Just brought back 20kg sack of wild bird food ,New fat ball feeder,and balls ,spend as much on their food as ours  :-\

;D

CLKD

« Reply #2558 on: March 22, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »

The wild bird food will be OK with some fresh cream on it  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2559 on: March 22, 2015, 05:40:14 PM »

Had two amazing sights today!!

Went for fantastic walk to one of our favourite bits of coastline (S Jurassic coast) - huge towering chalk cliffs and undercliff. We heard this eerie mewing call and there way way above us perched on one of the outcrops was a female peregrine calling to her mate who flew past and soared above us for a while. Although there is a pair usually breeding in these cliffs we hardly ever see them and usually only ever see one. The female just sat there patiently.

On the way back home we saw a flock - and I mean a flock - of buzzards - at least 25 maybe more (I counted!) - something neither of us has ever seen before.  :) The most I've ever seen at once is 6. About 8 of them were sitting on the ground in a field of sheep and the rest were circling over some woodland nearby and in the sky above the field - fairly lowish. Absoutely amazing and I can't understand why there were so many of them in one place. We'd noticed the ones in the field on the way so obviously they hang around there a lot.

Pleased I went out and also to have shaken off the migraine I've had since Friday... lovely sunshine too....

Hurdity x  :)

Taz2

« Reply #2560 on: March 22, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »

That sounds lovely Hurdity. I've only ever seen large flocks when they are getting ready to follow the plough. I had a friend who used to do contract work with his tractor and he regularly had over forty birds following the plough. I went out with him a couple of times and it was wonderful watching them begin to gather over the field. It must have been great seeing the Peregrine. We did have a nesting pair in the local town which delayed the demolition of an office block where they were nesting but I'm not sure if they have gone now.

So pleased you've got rid of the migraine.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2561 on: March 22, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »

I've seen red kites in large numbers (20-25) following the plough but never many buzzards together.  We lived in Wales for years at the time when the kites were re-introduced and it was un-usual to see them with buzzards, now they seem to take advantage of similar areas and feeding opportunities.

More spawn this morning  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2562 on: March 22, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »

OH came back from golf this morning quite excited that the red kites are nesting in one of the trees on the course. They cruise over the garden every day. The buzzards are always higher up. Freaks the cats out a bit!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2563 on: March 22, 2015, 10:34:24 PM »

We found a kites' nest about 12 months ago  :-X ………. they will take small cats so be careful if yours takes to sleeping in the sun when kites are circling …………

Taz2

« Reply #2564 on: March 23, 2015, 12:10:15 AM »

They very rarely take small animals due to their feet being a really weak part of the body. Sometimes if they are really hungry they will attempt to catch a rabbit but again this isn't usually successful. They are quite lazy and prefer to eat carrion where something else has done the hard work. We often see them on road kill here. I've passed on your warning to the cats though!

OH  not so excited now as the golf club are taking advice on whether they will be able to continue to play the hole near the tree due to them being protected bird.  ;D

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 423