Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1112074 times)

babyjane

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #2355 on: September 01, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »

a beautiful dragonfly was flitting about in our back garden this morning  :)

countrylass

« Reply #2356 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »

I love the subsong of robins and sparrows. If I'm close by it's easy to imagine that they're singing it for me, telling me a story.

babyjane, have you ever heard dragonflies snapping at insects? It's like a clicking noise.

babyjane

« Reply #2357 on: September 01, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »

I can't say I have, they are very few and far between here. There is a natural pond nearby and they flit over there but don't often come over our garden. It was a treat :-)

countrylass

« Reply #2358 on: September 01, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »

I bet it was. They are marvelous creatures!

Taz2

« Reply #2359 on: September 03, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »

Migration is underway - I love this time of year - did I say that already  ;D http://btomigrationblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2360 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »

Funnily enough I was just going to post on this thread how the swallows - about 40 of them - were gathered on the wires earlier today and this afternoon were all wheeling about the sky together - it makes me sad to think of them going and that autumn will soon be here... gives me a sort of melancholy feeling - but once autumn is truly here I enjoy it!

You might have mentioned it once or twice Taz.....  :)

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #2361 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »

Swallows are gathering here as well.
I have to say, I much prefer spring to autumn, sorry Taz.

On a less positive note, there was a dead polecat/ferret (not sure which) in the lane.
There were also many more rabbits running around at about 8.30 Monday morning........
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:46:57 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2362 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »

In this area there are 100s of robins at all age stages  :o  I have never seen so many!  Not much of anything else though ……….. wish I had bought live meal worms with me  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2363 on: October 18, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »

Have been trying to buy aconite corms for 3/4 weeks but none of the gardening centres are stocking them, our local tells me that he has ordered 3 times since June but nowt arrived  >:( ……… if anyone sees any 'not' in a catalogue but lose, please let me know  ;) - I have a gap in the garden which would benefit from a blush of yellow in the Spring!

honeybun

« Reply #2364 on: October 18, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »

Been a quick walk to visit my seals. We have occasionally had one or two near us but this year there are ten of them. You can get really close and I see them almost every day. I just love seals  :)

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #2365 on: October 18, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »

If you go to 'river cottage forum' and click on 'chat' - someone has posted lovely photos of a kingfisher visiting her!

We have a small patch of yellow primroses already  :-*

purplenanny

« Reply #2366 on: October 18, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »

HB - how lucky are you! They are so beautiful and I envy you having them within walking distance. Enjoy. PN xx

honeybun

« Reply #2367 on: October 18, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »

I do know I'm lucky in where I live. I have started recognising individuals, they have slightly different markings. They are so laid back. People walk dogs along this stretch of beach and they don't move although you could walk out to them if you wanted.
I love the whiskery faces.

We also have porpoises in the summer. Not seen the local pod for about three weeks so I think they have moved on.
We also have a pretty big basking shark that we spot if we are going on the ferry to our nearest island.

Ok sorry, I will stop going on, I just love my coastline and would love to invite all the interested ladies to come and see.

Honeyb
x

thorntrees

« Reply #2368 on: October 18, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »

Your coastline sounds lovely Honeybun. We so enjoyed watching the seals off the coast of the Black Isle when we holidayed in Scotland. This week we have had the Bluetits and Great tits  back in force on the nuts and fatballs. The surprise though was on Tuesday when we saw a small deer in the garden, looking on google it seems it was probably a muntjac which are quite common. Not seen it before but now looking out hoping for another sighting- a beautiful creature.

Thorntrees

honeybun

« Reply #2369 on: October 18, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »

Oh how lovely.

We have had them, roe deer, walk up the road outside our house but none in the garden..

As you will have gathered, I'm not in a city but fairly rural  ;D

Years ago when my daughter was tiny she told us she had seen Bambi in the garden. We smiled and listened and thought....yea right....until my neighbour showed me a photo .....of a deer in the garden.  ;D

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 422