Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1132843 times)

Blue

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #1890 on: March 24, 2013, 12:45:07 AM »

Saw a red squirrel last week running down a tree. I had to speak and scare it as I was worried the poor thing would meet my terriers if it came too far down.

Shame it was soo cute with its bushy Tufty tail.

Taz2

« Reply #1891 on: March 24, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »

Lucky you - I've never seen a red squirrel. Do you have a lot where you are?

Taz x

Blue

« Reply #1892 on: March 24, 2013, 07:55:13 AM »

I haven't seen one for years, but I think there are a few still about.
We used to have one come for nuts.  It thumped on the window if the feeder was empty ;D ;D

But I have too many cats so it stopped coming.

There are greys all around now, so I suppose its just a matter of time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1893 on: March 24, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »

Tufty Club anyone ;-)

Blue

« Reply #1894 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »

Yep I remember it.
I always call the reds Tufty!! ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #1895 on: March 24, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »

Have you seen this Hurdity - looks like they have been through a tough time but are now recovering http://www.lancswt.org.uk/redsquirrels

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #1896 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »

Thanks Taz, interesting - no I didn't know about that - hadn't really thought about them recently! Had a quick google and find out they have been re-established not far from where I live now in Devon too....

Hurdity x

fenella

« Reply #1897 on: March 25, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »

What a nice thread this is! I truly believe that I owe what little sanity I have these days to all the birds and animals that come into my garden, I think being removed from nature makes a lot of people poorly in one way or another. I see a lovely variety of birds here, at the moment about half a dozen each of tree sparrows and reed buntings come in every day. Last week, before the cold set in, there were three hedgehogs that had come out of hibernation (all gone back in, no doubt!). I have never seen red squirrels though, only greys, and I'm on North Lancs coast, so I guess I'm just a bit too far south, seen them round Silverdale which is only a few miles further up. I would love to have badgers coming in, but not that lucky.

ellie

« Reply #1898 on: March 25, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »

We still have red squirrels in the NorthWest, but We have never been lucky enough to see one in our garden, nor a grey......
I am sitting watching the Blue Tits going in and out of the bird box in our garden......Watching and feeding the birds gives me a great deal of pleasure.
    The frogs have been very active in the pond and it is full of frogs spawn.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1899 on: March 25, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »

Welcome Fenella.  Don't wish badgers on yourself though ........... they are best where they are  ;)

Off to fill up the pea-nut feeders

Firewalker50

« Reply #1900 on: March 25, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »

Welcome Fenella.  It is a lovely thread, isn't it?

We had a charm of goldfinches for a couple of years.  They have not returned this year so far which is disappointing since we had up to 15 of them.   We also had some BlueTits and a few different finches.

They are all quite absent this year.  I was probably not diligent enough feeding them when my OH moved into his own house.  He used to feed them religiously every day and still does when he comes to mine.

Those are at the front garden.  At the back we have hundreds of tree sparrows, starlings, a couple of pigeons, a magpie and a family of blackbirds.

I have put up a few nesting boxes but never been fortunate enough to have anything nest. 

We have quite a few foxes in our area (usually see at least one every night driving home) although I don't put anything out to encourage them.
No badgers here.
No squirrels I have seen so far.
Lots of deer nearby and sadly often knocked down by cars when they bound out of nowhere across the road.  Gives drives a huge fright - not to mention damage to the car.  All round a sad situation.
Bats at night.  I naively thought they were small birds flying in the dark hehe.

Fx

Hurdity

« Reply #1901 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »

I have never seen red squirrels though, only greys, and I'm on North Lancs coast, so I guess I'm just a bit too far south, seen them round Silverdale which is only a few miles further up.

Hi fenella

Actually the the red squirrels are quite far south - the main reserve is at Formby (may even count as Merseyside?) just round the coast from Liverpool - near where I lived very many years ago until 13.

Here is an extract from the link Taz gave - here it is again:
http://www.lancswt.org.uk/redsquirrels

Even more exciting, there is strong evidence that red squirrels are breaking out of their stronghold in the woods near Formby and are moving into new territory. Sightings have been reported from outlying areas such as Knowsley, Rainford, Bickerstaffe, Skelmersdale and our nature reserve at Mere Sands Wood near Rufford.

Yes I discovered this thread on re-joining the forum recently - missed it before - and I agree it is lovely to be in touch with nature and be able to recognise creatures and plants in our natural environment.

Hurdity x

Hurdity x

Blue

« Reply #1902 on: March 28, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »

Great to hear the reds are making a come back. Go Tufty  ;D ;D

If you want badgers anyone come here and take them all.
As cattle people 'fraid we don't want them as they carry bovine TB.

Had a white otter in one of our ponds last year, catching eels.  S/he was super.

Hurdity

« Reply #1903 on: March 29, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »

I saw a blackcap hopping about the front garden and hadn't realised that they are now resident until I looked it up. Also a treecreeper in the orchard.  :)

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #1904 on: March 30, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »

We have a pair of black caps during the winter - they love the honeysuckle berries. I think the female one is lovely with her glossy brown cap.

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 423