Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 82

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 168879 times)

rebecca

Re: Cycling
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2009, 11:16:18 PM »

Well done with your mileage Bramble. I got my new Raleigh bike delivered 3 days before I went on holiday so did not get much chance to ride it.  :(
Am now in Phoenix Arizona and it is 116 degrees this weekend, there is bike rental nearby but frankly I think we would be pretty stupid to waste our money in this heat ! I am so missing my bike rides though. Checked at Lidl for riding stuff before I left the Uk but they did not have any :(

I think I will have a walk in the morning before the sun gets too hot.

Keep up with the mileage.

Rebecca

Cazikins

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2009, 12:06:20 AM »

Oh Rebecca, cycling in that heat in Arizona must be unbearable, have you been to Sedonna yet?... it gets hotter there.  8) 8)

I am getting a bike tomorrow  :o. I just want a bike that I can cycle around the village & go to the local shops to get a few things rather then take the car. It is a smalll bike with a basket on it, but hey it is a start . I got it from my M.I.L. who doesn't need it any more.
Watch this space.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2009, 07:44:47 AM »

I don't like heat so parts of the World would be 'too much' for me ............ I don't do early mornings either  ;D ..... we were going cycling yesterday but I was too tired to move!  It's ready though.

How long are you in the US for?   Is cycling 'big' over there?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »

Girls - check out this site -

www.freeyourbike.org.uk

they are giving out free packs about where to cycle, how to keep your bike in good condition and preparing for riding.

DS did 16 miles today but I've been busy doing other things & not had time to ride ... yet!  Might squeeze an hour in before bedtime.

bramble

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »

Rebecca,
I am so envious of you being in Arizona. I had booked a holiday there that went from Phoenix down to Tucson and then up to the Grand Canyon about 3 years ago and cancelled it at the last minute (panic, anxiety etc). I am determined to go there eventually! Congratulations on your new bike. Will look forward to hearing about your travels on it.

Cazikins - congrats on your bike. I found it hard at first, still do, but I really enjoy it. I hope you do too!

Penny - got my padded knickers in the post on Saturday - still have to try them out but they seem VERY padded. Takes me back a few years........
Bramble

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

I picked up an old book at a garden fete last year and have finally started reading it.

Thought some of you cyclists might enjoy it! ;) It's called "Full Tilt" and is by Dervla Murphy.  In 1963 she rode her bike from Ireland to India.  Bear in mind that it was not like the bikes of today!! 

On a stressful day in our house, the idea of getting on a bike and just riding away is very tempting. ;)

bramble

« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »

There's an awful lot of hills between here and India so don't think I would make it (with or without my padded knickers!).
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »

I read that years ago and really enjoyed it.  Did she have her very young daughter with her or was that pre-child?   I might have a look-see ....... to read it again, she's written since and is always very entertaining!

If you head this way PF, the kettle is always on!

bramble

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

Just did 20 miles today - all flat along the canal - and got soaked twice! I feel tired now! Had my padded knickers on and bum was fine. Shoulders sore though at
the end of the ride and knees a bit achey now.

The rain looks as though it is on for the day here.
Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »

CLKD - just checked my mails from the hotel reception and saw your question. I am in the US for 3 weeks.
Drove over from Phoenix to Las Vegas for a couple of days and has a flutter on the slot machines but did not win big  :(

Far too hot in Vegas, it seemed hotter than Phoenix - got into Santa Barbara California yesterday and being on the coast now it is Much cooler   :)  A few fires to watch out for though!!!

Looking to rent a bike tomorrow and get around along the seafront - I soo miss my cycling.

Bramble - I'm sorry to hear about your panic/anxiety attack. You really must try and go to Phoenix - it is a lovely place and the hotels are Very cheap as most Americans avoid it in July as it is too hot. I paid about £40.00 per night for a 4* hotel - beautiful, the British Airways flights were also cheap. Last week in Page, Arizona  a Navajo indian took me round a cave where he grew up as a child,  the pictures I got were breathtaking.

I look foward to catching up with your cycling news when I return to the UK next week.

Rebecca  ;)

bramble

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:51 PM »

Cazikins,
How are you getting on with your bike? Are you enjoying it?
Bramble

Cazikins

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:35 PM »

Oh Bramble, I knew I shouldn't have mentioned getting a bike. I am ashamed to say that I have not taken it out yet  ::).
I went to Halfords to buy a cover for it (as I knew if I put it in the garage it would not be used) & it has been in the garden ever since. I nearly rode it to the shops the other day but it was easier to go in the car. :(
I will do it, I haven't given up yet - I just need the right day & to be in the right frame of mind.

I did go on a 20 mile bike ride about 15 years ago, it was on the Tissington Trail, in Derbyshire if I remember correctly. It was an old railway line & I really enjoyed it. We had Bakewell pudding when we got back, very nice it was too.

Love Cazikins xx

bramble

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2009, 06:07:42 PM »

Cazikins,
One of these days you will do it. And remember the first time will be the worst - after that it will become a habit and get easier. I remember the first week when I had 20 miles to do and it felt like a mountain to climb and now I can do 20 miles in a day!
Bramble

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2009, 08:03:38 PM »

Did anybody get to Lidl for the "cycling special offers"?  I was there at 9 am and got some panniers for DHs bike, some bike lights and some gloves for DS and a few pairs of cycling socks.  Now I know you don't need special socks for cycling BUT these are really well made and SO cheap.  They're breathable and shaped beautifully to mould to your feet.

The helmets looked good value for money and the gel seats too. Nearly bought some cycling trousers but I have a couple of pairs plus shorts and they are still as good as new.  The jackets were tempting too, but I must wear mine out first! ;)

bramble

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »

Rebecca,
I bought a jacket and top. The jacket is just showerproof but at £10 who can complain!
Bramble
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 82