Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Time to recover from GA after minor procedure (day surgery)  (Read 4067 times)

Katejo

Re: Time to recover from GA after minor procedure (day surgery)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 06:28:15 PM »

Quote from: Katejo
[/quote
I can eat before 7am and drink water before 11am.   Staying overnight will only happen in the event of a complication. Otherwise it isn't available.
I agree, my first op I was home that evening, 2nd op I couldn't weight bear & was crying in pain, couldn't move, so stayed overnight. If they are not happy they won't let you go home.
I hope all works out well for you xx
I am not expecting to be in pain after the biopsy unless something goes wrong ! A friend has had the same procedure and was ok afterwards.

Penguin99

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »

Hi, sorry I didn't mean it to sound like it does, I meant they will look after you,  you are by far in the best place and they will make sure you're ok. I was just unlucky with my 2nd op. I went in around 12 with my first op, op done around 2 then I was home at 8:30. It affects people differently.  I  had to go to our local hospital the other week for an xray, it was so quiet. I got there at 2:50 & was all done and out by 3:05. My husband has to have infusions every 8 weeks and he had to go last week, understandably we were worried but they had everything sorted and were very reassuring when we called. They were fantastic  :)

Salad

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 11:53:15 PM »

Hi - I think you?ll be absolutely fine with your plans.
Your procedure isn't for long. The hospital won't release you until you?re awake, eaten, had a drink and peed.
Have easy to fix meals for a day or two when you get home. Fill the kettle with a cup of water rather than completely fill it when you use it.
Try and just relax, read, watch TV and sleep as you need - good luck  :foryou:

Machair

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »

Katejo it was absolutely fine. I was very nervous but it was unfounded. I was awake very quickly afterwards in no pain at all and went home three hours later. I was very well cared for and to be honest it was the thought that was worse- the actual procedure I was totally unaware of and did not suffer pain at all afterwards.

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »

Katejo it was absolutely fine. I was very nervous but it was unfounded. I was awake very quickly afterwards in no pain at all and went home three hours later. I was very well cared for and to be honest it was the thought that was worse- the actual procedure I was totally unaware of and did not suffer pain at all afterwards.

Thanks Machair
A friend here has told me the same. A new development is that I have to go for a pre op appointment tomorrow.  Didn't expect it because I have already had one in March.  It turns out that I have to have a Covid 19 test !  With all these nurses unable to get one even with symptoms,  I have to have one without any. Then I travel home on the tube and back to the hospital for the procedure on Thursday!

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 10:08:50 PM »

Whenever I have had a GA it has taken a week to get over, whatever I do and however minor the surgery.

I feel fine and awake, and sometimes full of energy, then suddenly very tired and have to lie down immediately.  Last time, I just gave up and paced myself accordingly and found out how olives are produced (amongst other useful information) on Ch 4 daytime tv.

Hope all goes well and you don't catch anything on the tube rides :-X (FWIW, I know someone who works in a London hospital and travels in every day and is still fine)

Katejo

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »

Whenever I have had a GA it has taken a week to get over, whatever I do and however minor the surgery.

I feel fine and awake, and sometimes full of energy, then suddenly very tired and have to lie down immediately.  Last time, I just gave up and paced myself accordingly and found out how olives are produced (amongst other useful information) on Ch 4 daytime tv.

Hope all goes well and you don't catch anything on the tube rides :-X (FWIW, I know someone who works in a London hospital and travels in every day and is still fine)
Hi Dahliagirl  Thanks for warning me of the possible fatigue for several days afterwards. I had expected it on Friday but thought I would be ok by Saturday. In practice I felt pretty good immediately after the surgery on thursday evening (enough to feel that I could have travelled home by tube on my own without any problems so was pleasantly surprised). It hit me on Friday and I was pretty drowsy and couldn't concentrate on anything but it was actually worse yesterday. I had muscle aches all over as well as the fatigue. I began to wonder whether I had picked up a virus!   ;D  Today things seem better. I don't feel drowsy at all at the moment and the aches are improved too. Hopefully it is on the way out.

I am not generally worried about tube travel. I have been doing it regularly for 30 years but I am concerned as to what will happen when more people go back to work. It is too far for me to walk to work and I would be dead within a week if I cycled! I only enjoy riding in car free areas/on separated cycle tracks or very small side roads.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 11:35:45 AM »

:tulips2: :tulips: :foryou:

Katejo

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »

Good luck!
Thanks for your messages CLKD. Sorry for not replying before now but I didn't feel too good yesterday/Friday (see my reply to Dahliagirl). The op went fine.  Have to wait for the biopsy result but the consultant appeared to hint afterwards that there wasn't too much to worry about. I hope that I won't have too long to wait.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »

You'll be tired for a while, after all there's a build up prior 2 any procedure ........

dahliagirl

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 05:32:23 PM »

Glad you are back ok.  :foryou:

You just have to drink plenty, not get too excited when you feel good, and be prepared to rest as and when.  (Probably not a good idea to clean the bathroom and toilets - took me days to get over that after I had my wisdom teeth out  :-\ )

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 05:39:11 PM »

;D  I read that as 'rest and wine'  ::)

Oh don't remind me about wisdom tooth removal  :-X  :o

Katejo

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 06:01:24 PM »

Glad you are back ok.  :foryou:

You just have to drink plenty, not get too excited when you feel good, and be prepared to rest as and when.  (Probably not a good idea to clean the bathroom and toilets - took me days to get over that after I had my wisdom teeth out  :-\ )

Things have continued to improve during today. No sleepiness, little aching, and I can think straight again. I hate cleaning bathrooms  ;D  I was due to have a lovely new one fitted last month but the starting date was just at the beginning of lockdown so got postponed.

i had my wisdom teeth out when I was 19. I don't think I had a general anaesthetic.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »

I had 1 removed under LA but my others were too entwined that a GA was required.  Chisel and hammer.  Apparently.  Certainly felt and looked like it  :o  ;D.  Had I know how painful that was going to be I would never had signed the Consent Form! and it was years B4 the sockets stopped aching pre-periods.  So badly that I was unable to eat at times.

dahliagirl

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2020, 10:56:25 PM »

I had 2 out at the dentist with LA and 2 out in hospital that were impacted.  They did a very neat job - I had two matching bruises, one either side about the size of a 10p and a few stitches.   Can't complain.  I had 3 pre-schoolers at the time, so a nice rest. ;D  Until I cleaned the bathroom, so mother-in-law decided it was time to go home, then I struggled through the next couple of days until the weekend.  ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3