Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Petticoat day  (Read 2015 times)

Foxylady

Re: Petticoat day
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »

I have no idea what any of you are talking about other than pants!! I must be too young or it wasn't a Scottish thing!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Petticoat day
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »

You're too young  ;D

from a US-based site:

Jane Says:
May 3rd, 2009 at 10:14 am
Would like to know all seven days of May. Am sure there is a necktie day, pigtail day and kissing day (seventh of May) in addition to petticoat day and shoelace day. And I guess it was a New Jersey thing as that is where I grew up and my friends knew it but can't remember all of it. Thanks for any help.

Lisa Says:
May 3rd, 2009 at 11:12 am
I still haven't found an answer yet. But I did find out something interesting about May 1st, or May Day, being petticoat Day.

The Puritans did not like the festivities of May Day. So they ended many of the May Day customs in England ? which they thought were Heathenish. However, according to ?The Story of the London Parks? (1815) by L. R. Sadler, ?young and old still continued to hallow May day with a display of their best silk petticoats and velvet doublets, ruff's and farthingales.

Hyde Park was the place to be seen in spick and span new finery on that day?? So people would still dress up on May 1st and that's why it was ?petticoat day?.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:29:19 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 [2]