Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Doesn't HRT just delay the evils of the menopause?!  (Read 1868 times)

Emm225

Doesn't HRT just delay the evils of the menopause?!
« on: April 10, 2020, 09:23:27 AM »

Have been doing research and am concerned that if I do take the HRT prescribed for me it is just delaying the evil day when I have to stop and all the flushes, anxiety, broken sleep, catastrophying, etc etc will return...when I stop taking it. 

On the forums I seem to be reading that this is what happens when you stop.  I am 54 and am hopefully on the road to getting a bit better but have had a dive since having the Mirena removed, which I have had in for a good 15 years (not the SAME one!) I had it for heavy periods but haven't had a show at all since it was removed before xmas.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Doesn't HRT just delay the evils of the menopause?!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »

Hi! which forums exactly?

Hormone ReplacementTherapy - does what it says on the tin though can be Trial and Error to find one that suits.  Sometimes it does delay symptoms, for others it helps them through to the other side.  Some take HRT to gain relief, stop for a while after a few years to C what happens and if necessary, restarts treatment.

It is so individual, not one size fits all.

Which symptom would you like to ease first?  I haven't had an evil menopause, fortunately: I did have bad++ periods, clots, heavy bleeds, extreme pain  :'(

Perinowpost

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 11:18:24 AM »

Emm225
Short answer is oestrogen deficiency is for life and causes all sorts of long term issues. I see it as preventative and intend on taking it forever x

Emm225

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »

My doctor said I couldn't take it after 60...so only for 6 years if that's the case....

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 04:01:17 PM »

But don't wait until the 6 years B4 having the conversation?

Emm225

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »

I have to say that's the conclusion I am coming to...although I wish I'd gone to the doctor...and had a sympathetic doctor....years ago as looking back I started it about 5  years ago I reckon as tear and anxiety ramped up then.  It's funny in a way....needing to make decisions about things when you may not be in the state of mind to make decisions due to the very thing you are hoping to cure/help....ie: catasrophying, anxiety, nervous.....as my husband says..."Why do you think you will definitely get cancer/HRT not work.....you don't know!"  (have to say he's been pretty good meno wise)  And yes I agree....it's now I need to start to take...just as supplies are getting shorter (here I am worrying and catastrophying again! Not like me I must say...but like me now!) I have been prescribed ustrogetan 100 and estradot 25

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »

Your doctor is out of date. The Nice guidelines used to say you should stop at 60 but now they don't. If you get close to 60 and he still insists you stop ask for a referral to a menopause clinic.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 04:11:48 PM »

I would ask B4 he even suggests it ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »

I'm 66 and my doctor is still happy to prescribe it. I've been on it for 13 years and without it my pelvic floor/vaginal health is rubbish.

Taz x  :)

hotmama

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 12:10:01 PM »

I'm 70 and have only been taking it for just over five years. Intend to stay on it for the rest of my life with my GP's blessing. Fortunately only need oestrogen.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »

Also: if one gets an ease of symptoms what's the problem?  Menopause means end of periods. Trouble is, it can come with side effects so if HRT help ........

Emm225

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 06:15:29 PM »

Can't say I want periods again tbh...haven't had them since Mirena ..15 years ago...thank god! I just got worked up about the possible risks...ie:cancers, and if I couldn't get the HRT stuff again....as I say I am not normally like this but over the past year or 2 have got anxious and catastrophise a lot...,definitely hormonal.  Anyway..am going to go for it I think...or try anyway!

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 10:32:15 PM »

You're in a fortunate position. You already know you get on well with mirena so that's the progestin sorted. Fellow sufferer of meno related anxiety here now completely gone with hrt. It was awful, I really don't want to go back there again.

Emm225

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 07:30:43 AM »

You're in a fortunate position. You already know you get on well with mirena so that's the progestin sorted. Fellow sufferer of meno related anxiety here now completely gone with hrt. It was awful, I really don't want to go back there again.

Thank you...I started last night so will see how it goes. (Ye gods...how small are the patches?! Very discreet!)