Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Can't Sleep?  (Read 46880 times)

pixie

Re: Can't Sleep?
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »

Hi girls,

I don't dream much, but having a run of bad nights at present.  Last night I must've woken up 5 times, and  had 2 toilet trips!  Must cut back on the horlicks tonight. Anyway not been too tired today and clocked about 7 hours of interrupted hot and cold sleep! ;)

Taz2

« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »

I've been researching this for my eldest son who is having trouble sleeping properly. He suffers from sleepwalking and sleep eating during periods of high stress and he finds it most embarrassing. He has to barricade himself into his room to stop himself waking up with a bed full of the contents of the fridge. During my internet rambles I came across this site http://www.insomniacs.co.uk/ Apologies if it has been posted before but I don't want to wade through the whole thread!

Taz x

pixie

« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »

Hi Taz,

This research on insomnia is really interesting.  I think its very easy to get so hung about not sleeping for  for 8 hours, just because it is supposed to be 'normal'. I've had problems getting off to sleep all my life, however, it has got worse lately and with the peri.  Although I sometimes wake up all night and sometimes only have 4 hours, I still function ok in the day.  Naturally we need less sleep as we age.PX :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2020, 06:29:04 PM »

I slept well this morning.  From 10.40 until 12.15.  Without a break.

I woke thinking "I couldn't do this if I had puppies".  So my questions to you who have difficulties:

Light levels
Bed time routine
Correct weight of bed linens
Cats on the bed or around the house
Dogs that need to go out in the morning, early
Children or visitors in the house at night

R there a lot of vehicles by the property in the night, early hours
Noise from local hostelries or eateries
Do you live in a stag/hen party area with lots of background noise
Do you live near a school
Do you live near essential services that are active 24/7

Is your property noisy as it shuts down enough to disturb sleep levels
When did you buy a new mattress

soniad

« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2020, 07:34:43 PM »

Hi Lynne888,

I had zero problems sleeping all my life until I reached perimenopause.

I now take HRT and melatonin and have a great sleep most nights.

cheers

Countrygirl

« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2020, 06:09:58 AM »

I keep seeing melatonin mentioned for sleeping, but wouldn't know where to start to get some. Are there weaker ones to start off on or do they tend to be one strength, sorry for all the questions, but my sleep has gone to pot badly x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »

I put 'melanin' into google several years ago - maybe look on the NHS Sites? 

Because I had slept well yesterday I didn't get off until 4.45 this morning  ::)

soniad

« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »

Hi Countrygirl,

I'm from Australia and over here, you can buy it over the counter - heaps of health shops sell it - but you don't really know what you're getting.

I started with 0.5mg and slowly built up from there to the right dose for me. Everyone is different.

There's a medically approved version called 'Circadin' which is slow release, but it only comes in 2mg and is very expensive, especially if you need more.

I take 4 mg every night, prescribed by my doctor and I have it made up by a compounding chemist. It's slow release. I take it half an hour before bed and by the time I'm ready to sleep it starts working.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:25:49 PM by soniad »

Foxylady

« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »

https://fast-asleep.com
Came across the book at supermarket beginning of the week. I have been following the fast 5:2 for over a year, although been lax recently seems to be vicious circle, can't sleep, eat rubbish and so it goes!! I found it useful reading the science behind sleep, research etc. Hopefully it will turn things around for me and anyone else in same position (lack of quality sleep). x

sheila99

« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »

Countrygirl melatonin isn't available in the UK but you can get it mail order from USA. I didn't try it as hrt sorted out my insomnia but Ladybt uses it and can suggest where to get it from if Google doesn't work.

undergroundbarbie

« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2020, 03:24:40 AM »

So glad I found this thread. I've had problems sleeping for about 2 and half years. Had to come off HRT due to breast cancer diagnosis. ( all good now) I go to bed tired but the minute I lie down I'm wide awake, hence I'm writing this at 04:20. GP prescribed Zopiclone about 2 years ago but I don't take it regularly as it leaves me feeling out of it during the day. Also take certraline following breakdown of marriage. Funny thing is that when I do fall asleep it's often for about 10 hours, which I know isn't good either. Lately I have been feeling very fatigued during the day as opposed to tired and really need to lie down. As a shift worker it is very hard to get a sleep routine. Sometimes feel at my wits end. I eat reasonably healthy, moderate exercise, just not sure what to do next.

sheila99

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2020, 12:59:13 AM »

Perhaps try melatonin? It's difficult when you work shifts as you can't get into a routine.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]