Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Hospitals are not allowing visitors (social distancing and masks)  (Read 30703 times)

Sage 🍃

Re: social distancing and masks
« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »

I think everyone should wear a mask under the current situation, but I accept that many won't for various reasons. The most vulnerable (I'm one of them) should be given proper N-95 masks to protect themselves from people who don't want to or can't wear a mask. I think social, economic and political reasons should never be more important than preserving the life of those who feel vulnerable. There must be a middle ground. Humans are a highly adaptive species, let's use our brains to find new ways of living with this virus and all the others to come. Now is not the time for finger-pointing, nor to politicise the problem.

Sparrow

« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2020, 05:43:23 PM »

Personally I am not convinced by the effectiveness of masks.  If they really are affective why has countries like Spain, who have been wearing them for ages including outside, seen such an uptick in cases. 

I read a piece by a surgeon who said that masks only cover the mouth and nose, leaving the eyes exposed which is also an entry point for the virus.  Also it has always been believed that masks are useless against viruses, and the current change of opinion by WHO is based on very small case studies. 

Sage 🍃

« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2020, 06:09:41 PM »

Hi Shadyglade, there are masks and masks. Proper N-95 masks are effective, otherwise healthcare personnel would be all dead by now.
Comparing countries is not a good idea, really. Each country has its own epidemiological nuances and big ones have huge internal variability. Each country has to find its own way to tackle the situation.

Sparrow

« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »

Hi Shadyglade, there are masks and masks. Proper N-95 masks are effective, otherwise healthcare personnel would be all dead by now.
Comparing countries is not a good idea, really. Each country has its own epidemiological nuances and big ones have huge internal variability. Each country has to find its own way to tackle the situation.

How many people wear N-95 masks.  In fact we were told not to.

Sorry, but the more I find out the less convinced I am. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:23:54 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2020, 06:40:04 PM »

:thankyou: Sage : living with the virus is going to be on-going for several years.  A vacinne is unlikely to be found this side of New Year.  Stick with the masks and distancing .......... we have adapted to other viruses across the years. 

There are already lanyards for those who are exempt, I feel that these should be advertised on TV along with other advice churned out during the day as this is probably an unknown by the majority of the public.  It isn't up to the public to call out those who aren't wearing them.  The Police don't have enough personnel to check every village/town/city .........

After a Summer of isolating when Term began education centres should have had plans in place.  Hopefully Uni students will remain on Campus and not be shipped home to recover  ::)

Sage 🍃

« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2020, 06:42:04 PM »

That's exactly what I meant by saying 'vulnerable people should be given N-95 masks'. The situation has evolved, there's no excuse now for mask shortages, all manufacturers had enough time to increase production. If you had an immune deficiency you would have to wear N-95 masks, so let's treat vulnerable people as potentially immune deficient for coronavirus until an effective vaccine is available. Simples.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »

Thanks CLKD, but this is just my opinion and unfortunately opinions are nothing compared to facts. Until more facts are available we need to be cautious and do our best to preserve our health (mental health included).

CLKD

« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2020, 06:57:48 PM »

Also - no visitors to care homes, hospitals etc.? and no more sharing staff between same ?

CLKD

« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »

Tnx Franny . As for doing Courses on-line,  :-\ that's a whole different subject. 

Dorothy

« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2020, 07:22:57 PM »

Personally I am not convinced by the effectiveness of masks.  If they really are affective why has countries like Spain, who have been wearing them for ages including outside, seen such an uptick in cases. 

I read a piece by a surgeon who said that masks only cover the mouth and nose, leaving the eyes exposed which is also an entry point for the virus.  Also it has always been believed that masks are useless against viruses, and the current change of opinion by WHO is based on very small case studies.

I think masks would be more effective if they were used as well as distancing, handwashing etc.  But I noticed in the weeks before mask-wearing became mandatory in Wales, that those wearing them were moving much closer to others than those who weren't.  I've had people wearing masks physically pushing past me, sometimes while coughing!  I'm not saying it's deliberate - I found when I wore a visor that I tended to move nearer to others unless I was very careful, so it seems that wearing something over the face may alter one's perception of distance. 

"Masks plus 2 metres" would be more effective than "no masks plus 2 metres" - but perhaps "masks plus 1 metre or less" are less effective than "no masks plus 2 metres"?

Sparrow

« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »

It's too optimistic to expect everyone to stick to the rules, even those who should know  better.  Cummings and Prof Furguson for example.

The virus knows nothing about rules, and will come and go whatever we do.

CLKD

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »

I find too that with people I know I am more relaxed.  I hate people who push in front at any time! I often wish that I could growl like a dog ;-). 

Penguin99

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »

My husband is vulnerable and I wear p3 masks when I go shopping & out anywhere ( although I stay in most of the time) we have reusable and disposable ones. I've always got them in my car. I know people don't feel comfortable in them, i get really hot when I've been shopping, but i do it to protect people & myself. Some people, as said, just feel the law doesn't mean them! Personally, and it's just my opinion, I don't understand why people who can't wear masks don't wear a visor?? Is there a a condition  that means you can't wear one? Its an honest question as I genuinely don't know. Then there's others who protect their chins :-\ . I have always worn a mask and will continue to do so, too many vulnerable people out there that need us to play our part as best we can to protect  them.

Sparrow

« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »

I've got two visors Penguin.  Total waste of money.  I don't know if it's because I wear varifocals but they distort my vision causing nausea.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:09:30 PM by Shadyglade »

Dorothy

« Reply #314 on: September 21, 2020, 09:27:08 AM »

I've got two visors Penguin.  Total waste of money.  I don't know if it's because I wear varifocals but they distort my vision causing nausea.

I was using visors before mask-wearing became mandatory, and like you, I found they made me feel really sick (whether I wore them with my glasses or without).  I think it's because you get mini reflections of everything on them, so it causes quite a lot of visual disturbance.  I also found I 'fogged up' quite quickly if I had to speak to anyone.  I found looking down as much as possible helped, and if I had to look up, picking a stationery object and keeping my gaze fixed on that as I walked towards it.  I know they're not as effective as masks, but I felt that I was doing what I could.  Now, I'd be too scared to go out without a mask around here because the level of hate against people who don't wear one is so strong.  Which is sad - as I don't have contact with anyone except when doing essential errands, I'm probably much lower risk of transmitting the virus while wearing a visor than someone mask-wearing who's out in the pub every night!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23