Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello all...new to all this!  (Read 1007 times)

Tulip-75

Hello all...new to all this!
« on: March 04, 2020, 01:28:11 PM »

Hello all,

I came across this site as I'd been googling perimenopause like a lunatic and not really getting anywhere.

I think I may be in that phase; I'm 44 with no kids....not sure if that would matter though. Since 38 I've been getting palpitations/sudden increase in pulse for no reason whatsoever, odd sensation of the ground coming up to meet my face 😂🙄 Palpitations/increased pulse started at night when I'd go to bed and was very infrequent. Over the last year or so they've gotten more frequent and can happen at anytime...usually when I'm sitting down or in bed. GP has done ECGs etc..all normal, but I was put on cholersterol and BP meds as BP has always been a bit high and there's a strong family history of heart disease on my Dad's side.
Lately I've been having dizzy spells...not accompanied by palpitations but a feeling of nausea🙄 This started about a year ago...right before my period but now it's happening mid-cycle, just before my period, just after my period. I honestly feel like there's about 5 days a month where I feel like me. I'm still getting periods but cycle has gone from a like clockwork 28 days to 24 days; usually pretty heavy day 1-2, disappear in day 3 and return with a vengeance on day 4 and gone by day 5 or 6.

The dizziness/nausea is the thing that's worrying me the most now as I saw a consultant in relation to the palpitations and he put me at ease. Would it be worth asking my GP for hormone testing? I'm based in Ireland so I'm not even sure if this is something he'd do.

Any advice or suggestions for herbal remedies that may deal with the pulse, dizziness and nausea? I'm going to keep a food diary as I've noticed caffeine makes the dizziness worse.

Thanks for reading, so glad I found this site as my Mum is no longer with us and my sisters are younger than me so I've no one to run this by 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello all...new to all this!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »

:welcomemm:

HORMONES  >:( when I had bad PMS I would feel suddenly very sick in the 10-14 days B4 a period arrived.  I was advised by The National Association of Premesntrual Syndrome [NAPS] to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.  To stop the body getting hungry and easing the risk fo sudden low blood sugar dips.  It worked for me and I try to stick to that 20 years later.

Slow release foods: muesli, porridge  :sick02:, bananas, good carbs and protein, dried fruits and nuts.  Even in the night if you get up for any reason.

Browse round.  Make notes.  Is your BP high at home, do you have a self monitor - white coat syndrome is common.  DH used to measure his every morning at 7.30 B4 breakfast.  It was always normal at home ;-).

Herbals might help but if hormones take over, any benefit may be lost.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »

Hi Tulip-75

Just wanted to welcome you.
Glad you've found us.

Xx

CrispyChick

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »

Hi Tulip 75. I hear you.

I am 43 and for the past 2 years have suffered dizziness, with vertigo at times, blocked ears and severe nausea. It has been horrific. Doctors have sent me for all manner of tests. All clear.

Fast forward two years and it dawned on me that it may be my hormones - no doctor has ever suggested this!!! I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'm now 99% sure it is hormonal.

I've had a long few months trialing this and just had to reduce dose due to migraines (new symptom) but I'm now on the combined pill and I finally have no dizziness or nausea. Hallelujah. Im really hoping this will help. It has been a very long road.

I am due at the menopause clinic at the end of the month. Be interesting to hear their take on this.

I don't think blood tests show much at this stage.

I feel for you - although it is nice to find someone with the same symptoms 🤣. I don't havd the palpitations though. X

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »

And I no longer have my mum to ask either  :-*

MoaningMyrtle

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 05:39:46 PM »

Hi Tulip-75
One of my symptoms is severe dizziness/vertigo which can mean a couple of days in bed.  Even lying still with eyes closed doesn't stop everything spinning.   I am prescribed betahistine which sometimes work but give me a dull headache for days after.  Hormones have never been mentioned by doctor.

Jari

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 08:21:41 PM »

Welcome Tulip.

It is a really good time to have a check on what you are eating and if you are getting a good amount of exercise.

If you have high BP, worth checking if you are eating enough foods with magnesium and possibly a magnesium supplement, as magnesium lowers BP.

Magnesium rich foods would be:

Green leafy veg
Soya beans
Cashew nuts
Almonds
Brocoli
Whole grains
Bananas
Prunes....

Maybe start to add some of these daily and start keeping a diary.

If you can keep to a good and varied diet, along with regular exercise like some brisk walks each week and drink plenty of water/herbal teas and cut down on coffee. Maybe one or two cups in the morning but no more. This will all help really well with keeping your hormones balanced. X

Tulip-75

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 08:55:43 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in the second half of my cycle at the moment and no dizziness/nausea the last couple of days TG. I will definitely start to focus more on diet and exercise. Thanks for the suggestions of things to add into my diet 😊