Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Taken HRT for 2 weeks  (Read 1747 times)

Shaz7172

• First Flush
Taken HRT for 2 weeks
« on: December 24, 2022, 08:23:43 AM »

Hello. I have taken combined HRT for 2 weeks felt awful on it so came off. Now I am bleeding and quite heavy. It’s day 4 of not taking it. I had been post menopause and not had a period for over 1 and a half years. I cannot believe this has happened I am worried it’s not going to stop and I am also worried that this will have triggered periods again. And my final concern is does this mean I’m fertile again?? Sorry if any of these concerns are ridiculous

Taz2

Re: Taken HRT for 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 08:39:55 AM »

Hi Shaz7172. Welcome to this great forum. No concern is ridiculous.

Your periods have not returned. This bleeding is purely in response to the HRT and the sudden stopping of the progesterone element. The oestrogen in the HRT has built up your womb lining and now that you have stopped taking it the withdrawal of the progesterone has caused it to shed. This keeps your womb lining healthy. You are not fertile again so no worries on that score. It hasn't kick- started your ovaries.

It can take up to three months to settle on any HRT. In what way did you feel awful and which type of HRT were you using?

Taz x   :welcomemm:

Shaz7172

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 09:48:24 AM »

Thanks so much for your reply Taz much appreciated
I felt sick dizzy bloated and wanted to scream like pre menstrual tension
Do you know how long this bleeding will last? Xx

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »

I'm afraid that's a 'how long is a piece of string question'. If that hrt didn't suit you there are others you could try that you might get on with better. It would be very unusual for hrt to restart your own periods after this length of time though the nhs use the one year = meno rule for safety and some people do have natural cycles again having been longer than a year without

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 10:42:21 AM »

Some HRT regimes may trigger breakthrough bleeding.

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?  MayB think about which symptom you would like to ease first.

Let us know how U get on.