Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: sedation v GA for hysteroscopy?  (Read 3411 times)

Maryjane

Re: sedation v GA for hysteroscopy?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 05:20:38 AM »

I'm due a hysteroscopy & biopsy & will be having a GA not putting my vagina through anymore trauma than is necessary with me needing peeling off of the ceiling.

Wrensong

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 12:33:56 PM »

Katejo,
I still think that they will have trouble getting a sample fir biopsy as the layer is only 4.5 mm.
  Not sure how thick it needs to be, but my biopsy returned mucus only (sorry if tmi) - report said uterus was atrophied - & they didn't suggest repeating for a more meaningful sample.  Mine was for postmeno bleeding on Evorel Conti & meno clinic (not where hysteroscopy was done) later suggested the intermittent bleeding was actually due to the atrophy.

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »

Katejo,
I still think that they will have trouble getting a sample fir biopsy as the layer is only 4.5 mm.
  Not sure how thick it needs to be, but my biopsy returned mucus only (sorry if tmi) - report said uterus was atrophied - & they didn't suggest repeating for a more meaningful sample.  Mine was for postmeno bleeding on Evorel Conti & meno clinic (not where hysteroscopy was done) later suggested the intermittent bleeding was actually due to the atrophy.

Hi Wrensong Yes I remember reading your account of the thin layer/no good sample. I used it as an illustration of the point when I queried the need to have it done. Anyway today I had a much more productive appt. with the meno consultant (apart from the hospital appointments staff cocking it up and giving me a non existent slot at 8am! I had to wait 1.5 hours).  I then got the chance to express my confusion at the need to have the hysteroscopy so quickly. I referred to a study which BearG had sent me in which it says that bleeding up to 12 months is common for women who start HRT several years post meno. 92 % have no bleeding beyond 12 months. The consultant knew of the study and said that there is a move to delay   the hysteroscopy to 9-12 months but that it hasn't yet been agreed so the  NHS 6 months rule still applies.
She doesn't think that they will find a problem but I still have to have it done. I have a pre op appointment on saturday 7th March and then the hysteroscopy date will be about 2-3 weeks later. I need it to be a Monday because it is the only day when I have someone to accompany me home and stay with me.

I haven't had any more bleeding for nearly 2 weeks.

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 03:31:38 PM »

Hi Katejo - firstly I still find it unbelievable that a biopsy is being suggested for what appears to be a normal uterus lining as THIN as 4.5 mm   :o. The whole point of the scans was to determine the thickness of the uterus and if any abnormaliities could be detected which would then indicate whether a biopsy is advised.

In your position - there is no way I would have a general anaesthetic for a procedure that to me seems questionnable at this point  - with the risks involved in that.

This has come up before - have a look at this recent thread:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45272.msg728642.html#msg728642

On it I posted a paper abstract which someone sent to me - where investigation was carried out into the cancer risks for women with different endometrial thickness with or without bleeding (not on HRT). I will reproduce it again here. Even though you are taking HRT which would imply greater tolerance of endometrial thickness, you are in the bracket for extremely low risk of cancer.

"How thick is too thick? When endometrial thickness should prompt biopsy in postmenopausal women without vaginal bleeding" (Bindman et al 2004)

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Transvaginal sonography (TVS) is routinely performed as part of a pelvic sonogram in postmenopausal women, and images of the endometrium are frequently obtained. In women without vaginal bleeding, the threshold separating normal from abnormally thickened endometrium is not known. The aim of this study was to determine an endometrial thickness threshold that should prompt biopsy in a postmenopausal woman without vaginal bleeding.

METHODS:

This was a theoretical cohort of postmenopausal women aged 50 years and older who were not receiving hormone therapy. We determined the risk of cancer for a postmenopausal woman with vaginal bleeding when the endometrial thickness measures > 5 mm, and then determined the endometrial thickness in a woman without vaginal bleeding that would be associated with the same risk of cancer. We used published and unpublished data to determine the sensitivity and specificity of TVS, the incidence of endometrial cancer, the percentage of women symptomatic with vaginal bleeding, and the percentage of cancer that occurs in women without vaginal bleeding. Ranges for each estimate were included in a sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of each estimate on the overall results.

RESULTS:

In a postmenopausal woman with vaginal bleeding, the risk of cancer is approximately 7.3% if her endometrium is thick (> 5 mm) and < 0.07% if her endometrium is thin (< or = 5 mm). An 11-mm threshold yields a similar separation between those who are at high risk and those who are at low risk for endometrial cancer. In postmenopausal women without vaginal bleeding, the risk of cancer is approximately 6.7% if the endometrium is thick (> 11 mm) and 0.002% if the endometrium is thin (< or = 11 mm). The estimated risk of cancer was sensitive to the percentage of cancer cases that were estimated to occur in women without vaginal bleeding. For the base case we estimated that 15% of cancers occur in women without vaginal bleeding. When we changed the estimate to project that only 5% of cancers occur in women without vaginal bleeding, the projected risk of cancer with a thick measurement was only 2.2%, whereas when we estimated that 20% of endometrial cancers occur in women without bleeding, the projected risk of cancer with a thick measurement was 8.9%. As a woman's age increases, her risk of cancer increases at each endometrial thickness measurement. For example, using the 11 mm threshold, the risk of cancer associated with a thick endometrium increases from 4.1% at age 50 years to 9.3% at age 79 years. Varying the other estimates used in the decision analysis within plausible ranges had no substantial effect on the results.

CONCLUSIONS:

In a postmenopausal woman without vaginal bleeding, if the endometrium measures > 11 mm a biopsy should be considered as the risk of cancer is 6.7%, whereas if the endometrium measures < or = 11 mm a biopsy is not needed as the risk of cancer is extremely low.

Regarding sedation or GA - I had a hysteroscopy with biopsy a few years ago (due to thickened lining - expected on cyclical HRT, + an area of abnormality - turned out to be small fibroid) and opted to go to the main city hospital rather than the smaller local one which would only do the procedure under GA. Having never had one of these quite honestly the prospect of that terrified me as I felt it completely unnecessary for a minor procedure.

I was advised in the leaflet to take two paracetamol and two ibuprofen an hour before my appointment time. When I got there I asked about local anaesthetic or sedation and they said they don't usually advise it as the procedure is so quick (15 mins) and I had taken the painkillers.

So in my case it was absolutely fine - no problem - however I've had several children so not sure if that makes a difference?

If I wanted something and was worried, and sedation was on offer - I would take that over the GA. My husband today has had what would also be an extremely painful men's procedure - more invasive and an operation rather than like a hysteroscopy - and was given heavy sedation (through cannula in hand) - I think it's benzodiazepenes (sp?) - and was fine when I picked him up. He was vaguely aware when it was happening. Somewhat painful afterwards but he's on painkillers.

If you have to have the procedure that's what I would opt for - sedation and painkillers but must stress as I've never had a GA I don't want one unless aboslutely necessary ie an actual operation rather than a comparatively very minor investigative procedure!

Re the endosocopy - I've never had one of these either but I would definitely have sedation - that seems to me far more invasive and scary than camera through cervix - but we each have our own fears and worries, and therefore needs....

All the best and hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »

Hi Katejo - firstly I still find it unbelievable that a biopsy is being suggested for what appears to be a normal uterus lining as THIN as 4.5 mm   :o. The whole point of the scans was to determine the thickness of the uterus and if any abnormaliities could be detected which would then indicate whether a biopsy is advised.

In your position - there is no way I would have a general anaesthetic for a procedure that to me seems questionnable at this point  - with the risks involved in that.

This has come up before - have a look at this recent thread:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45272.msg728642.html#msg728642

On it I posted a paper abstract which someone sent to me - where investigation was carried out into the cancer risks for women with different endometrial thickness with or without bleeding (not on HRT). I will reproduce it again here. Even though you are taking HRT which would imply greater tolerance of endometrial thickness, you are in the bracket for extremely low risk of cancer.

"How thick is too thick? When endometrial thickness should prompt biopsy in postmenopausal women without vaginal bleeding" (Bindman et al 2004)

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Transvaginal sonography (TVS) is routinely performed as part of a pelvic sonogram in postmenopausal women, and images of the endometrium are frequently obtained. In women without vaginal bleeding, the threshold separating normal from abnormally thickened endometrium is not known. The aim of this study was to determine an endometrial thickness threshold that should prompt biopsy in a postmenopausal woman without vaginal bleeding.

METHODS:

This was a theoretical cohort of postmenopausal women aged 50 years and older who were not receiving hormone therapy. We determined the risk of cancer for a postmenopausal woman with vaginal bleeding when the endometrial thickness measures > 5 mm, and then determined the endometrial thickness in a woman without vaginal bleeding that would be associated with the same risk of cancer. We used published and unpublished data to determine the sensitivity and specificity of TVS, the incidence of endometrial cancer, the percentage of women symptomatic with vaginal bleeding, and the percentage of cancer that occurs in women without vaginal bleeding. Ranges for each estimate were included in a sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of each estimate on the overall results.

RESULTS:

In a postmenopausal woman with vaginal bleeding, the risk of cancer is approximately 7.3% if her endometrium is thick (> 5 mm) and < 0.07% if her endometrium is thin (< or = 5 mm). An 11-mm threshold yields a similar separation between those who are at high risk and those who are at low risk for endometrial cancer. In postmenopausal women without vaginal bleeding, the risk of cancer is approximately 6.7% if the endometrium is thick (> 11 mm) and 0.002% if the endometrium is thin (< or = 11 mm). The estimated risk of cancer was sensitive to the percentage of cancer cases that were estimated to occur in women without vaginal bleeding. For the base case we estimated that 15% of cancers occur in women without vaginal bleeding. When we changed the estimate to project that only 5% of cancers occur in women without vaginal bleeding, the projected risk of cancer with a thick measurement was only 2.2%, whereas when we estimated that 20% of endometrial cancers occur in women without bleeding, the projected risk of cancer with a thick measurement was 8.9%. As a woman's age increases, her risk of cancer increases at each endometrial thickness measurement. For example, using the 11 mm threshold, the risk of cancer associated with a thick endometrium increases from 4.1% at age 50 years to 9.3% at age 79 years. Varying the other estimates used in the decision analysis within plausible ranges had no substantial effect on the results.

CONCLUSIONS:

In a postmenopausal woman without vaginal bleeding, if the endometrium measures > 11 mm a biopsy should be considered as the risk of cancer is 6.7%, whereas if the endometrium measures < or = 11 mm a biopsy is not needed as the risk of cancer is extremely low.

Regarding sedation or GA - I had a hysteroscopy with biopsy a few years ago (due to thickened lining - expected on cyclical HRT, + an area of abnormality - turned out to be small fibroid) and opted to go to the main city hospital rather than the smaller local one which would only do the procedure under GA. Having never had one of these quite honestly the prospect of that terrified me as I felt it completely unnecessary for a minor procedure.

I was advised in the leaflet to take two paracetamol and two ibuprofen an hour before my appointment time. When I got there I asked about local anaesthetic or sedation and they said they don't usually advise it as the procedure is so quick (15 mins) and I had taken the painkillers.

So in my case it was absolutely fine - no problem - however I've had several children so not sure if that makes a difference?

If I wanted something and was worried, and sedation was on offer - I would take that over the GA. My husband today has had what would also be an extremely painful men's procedure - more invasive and an operation rather than like a hysteroscopy - and was given heavy sedation (through cannula in hand) - I think it's benzodiazepenes (sp?) - and was fine when I picked him up. He was vaguely aware when it was happening. Somewhat painful afterwards but he's on painkillers.

If you have to have the procedure that's what I would opt for - sedation and painkillers but must stress as I've never had a GA I don't want one unless aboslutely necessary ie an actual operation rather than a comparatively very minor investigative procedure!

Re the endosocopy - I've never had one of these either but I would definitely have sedation - that seems to me far more invasive and scary than camera through cervix - but we each have our own fears and worries, and therefore needs....

All the best and hope this helps :)

Hurdity x
   Thanks Hurdity for this but they want to do it because I HAVE had vaginal bleeding. I did try to have it done without GA  but with painkillers but it was too painful. In comparison the endoscopy was easy. Just a bit of discomfort and I didn't even have the numbing at all let alone a GA. My cervix is very tight (have never had kids). I have decided to go ahead with it now. A friend has had it to remove polyps and found it ok. It may be that sedation is enough.

I did put the question of the mm thickness to the consultant but she said that, with bleeding present, it must be under 4.5mm to not need a biopsy (even when using HRT). Mine was 5mm. I sensed that she wanted to agree with me but had to apply the rules.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:42:21 PM by Katejo »

suzysunday

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 07:55:54 PM »

I had a GA for my hysteroscopy.  It was not offered but I found out I could ask for one.  I knew I could not cope without one.

Katejo

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »

Hi Katejo
I had this procedure for post meno bleed.
I had it done at hospital, it was a bit uncomfortable and the lady who did it said it would be slightly uncomfortable.
She couldn't manage to get to see.
So she said I'd have to go back and have it done under GA.

She said to sit in corridor till I felt ok and asked did I want a drink.
I saw partner coming down the corridor, so walked up to him.
By the time we'd got outside the hospital building, I was doubled up in pain
I literally thought I was going to faint(used to faint at school with period pains). I was to scared to move to get into the car, partner was going to take me back into hospital
I just wanted home! I went straight to bed with 2 paracetamol and hot water bottle. Within hour I was fine. Apart from labour pains, that was the worse pain I've had.

The same with me, I never took paracetamol BEFORE procedure!!

I had private health insurance, so I had it done under GA at Bupa hospital.
I was fine😁 absolutely nothing like without GA.
   I felt fine after trying to have it done locally  (minimal discomfort) but the actual procedure wasn't helped by the painkillers at all. The first part was ok but my cervix was far too tight (haven't had kids). I now have a pre op appointment for the GA on Saturday.

vickypk

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 12:39:08 PM »

Hi Katejo
I had two hysteroscopies last October due to vaginal bleeding.
I had the first hysteroscopy and scan within two days and a polyp was found. I found it very painful, didn't know they were going to even  do that and took no painkillers.
A week later had a GA and hysteroscopy and .D&C. Even though I was so scared it was a lot better having a GA.
Hope you are okay Katejo.
Best wishes
Vicky xx

Katejo

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 04:27:07 PM »

Hi Katejo
I had two hysteroscopies last October due to vaginal bleeding.
I had the first hysteroscopy and scan within two days and a polyp was found. I found it very painful, didn't know they were going to even  do that and took no painkillers.
A week later had a GA and hysteroscopy and .D&C. Even though I was so scared it was a lot better having a GA.
Hope you are okay Katejo.
Best wishes
Vicky xx

Hi Vicky  i had the pre op for mine today. I am not too worried about the result though i do want it out of the way. I'd have preferred to wait a little longer to see if I really needed it. I already know that I have no polyps/fibroids and that it looks healthy but still have to have a biopsy. The consultant said this week that she wasn't expecting a problem result.

How did you feel after the GA (several hours afterwards when you were allowed to go home)? The hospital insists that I have to go back by car not train even though there is a direct train line from near the hospital which stops right close to my house! I thought it would be enough for a friend to accompany me home and stay with me. I don't  like travelling by car that much and the car journey will be much longer.

Tc

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 04:36:26 PM »

Katejo. I'm glad you have sorted it out now. I do wish you all the best.

aside from my major surgery I've also had GA for minor surgery (neck biopsy)  and I definitely wouldnt have wanted to be getting on a train after that as It hadnt worn off enough when i went home two hours later.

Xxx
Pages: 1 [2]