Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: NEW PERIMENOPAUSAL MEMBER!  (Read 1048 times)

lucysavill

NEW PERIMENOPAUSAL MEMBER!
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:51:05 PM »

Good afternoon, I'm a new member and just learning all about being peri and came across this forum.

I would love to use it for advice and recommendations etc

So quickly about myself,  I am Lucy and just turned 52, started this time last year getting lets say it how it is, an itchy fanny! lol!!!

I saw 3 doctors and a nurse who offered no real help or solutions. I had lots of fluxanole and itraconazole things of the 'ole' group as they said I has thrush but I knew I that wasn't the problem, so finally convinced my 4th doctor I needed HRT and had blood tests and although there isn't a great fall in hormones she agreed, which was great except there isn't any available! So I did finally come away after another week or haggling with some Ovestin and Vagifem and they have helped after the first 2 weeks enormously and restore some of my mojo but for the first time ever im having another period 2 weeks after the last one started. I am still getting periods sometimes missing a month or two and then back again regular and going again, I'm on that kind of pattern.  I don't really have mood swings or hot flushes but I have lots mojo and I am aching all the time! And a touch of anxiety which I have never had before!

So is the Vagifem causing me to have another period?

The Elleste Duet isn't available for another 6 months, so looking for recommendations for a duo patch or something similar that is available, the Everst Conti is that any good for me as I'm having periods still.

The HRT combi sequential tablets, do your periods eventually go completely or as the doctor says will I always have periods on them???

I would like something that gives me what I need but won't stop what happens with my period, I don't want to have periods till I'm 55, which the doctor suggested

I watched the videos on youtube from the clinic and found them very informative but before I go back to the doctor I would like to be armed!!!

Sorry for the long post and if anyone reads this and can help I would be eternally appreciative

Lucy x
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:08:36 PM by lucysavill »

Hurdity

Re: NEW PERIMENOPAUSAL MEMBER!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:30:27 PM »

Hi lucysavill

:welcomemm: and the wild and wonderful world of menopausal women, symptoms, sweat, tears and laughter!

If your periods are only just starting to become irregular then you are still in early peri-menopause so this phase may last another few years yet - or maybe only a couple.

Yes as directed, if you start HRT you should have sequential preparations which give you a withdrawal bleed. 15 % of women do not get a bleed on sequi preparation according to the stats on this site but if you are early peri then you will most likely do so. If you stay on sequi HRT then you may always get a withdrawal bleed ( as I do in my 60's - unwillingly though - but because I don't like taking the progestgoen part all the time).

If you have been on HRT for some time, because 80 % of women have gone through menopause by age 54 (again according to stats on this site), then if you have started sequi HRT well before this age, once you reach 54 your doc can put you on a trial of continuous combined (no bleed - once it's settled) HRT to see if this suits you. You may well naturally go on to have periods until 55 anyway.

Combi tabs that are well tolerated are Femoston 1/10 or higher dose 2/10. If you want to have Evorel sequi then if the Evorel 50 patches are available then you can be prescribed Evorel 50 mcg together with Evorel conti  and do two weeks of each. That's all Evorel sequi is anyway. You doc should know this.

Vagifem should not bring on a period - it's not that strong although with advanced VA (vaginal atrophy) the insertion can cause trauma and light spotting, although in your case if you are still having periods then unlikely. It wouldn't be a proper period if this happened anyway.

If you continue to have bleeding in between period or are worried about abnormal bleeding then do consult the doctor to get checked out further although this is a common occurrence during peri-menopause. In the meantime read as much as you can - on the menus on this website - and have a look at this article about peri-menopause too:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf The British Menopause Society has also produced some videos which are on Youtube now.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

lucysavill

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:43:47 AM »

Thank you so much ? thats more info than the doctor gave me ? its much appreciated and I will go through all the info available on here ? thank you again!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.

lucysavill

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »

So the Femoston is on order ? hopefully it will pick me up and a bit and take away the brain fog, aches and pains etc ? thanks for your kind words ? CKLD I've been avidly reading!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »

That's good!

My periods waxed and waned for several years.  Then stopped.  I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years though  ::)