Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ovestin v Vagifem Inernally  (Read 3541 times)

CherryC

Ovestin v Vagifem Inernally
« on: February 20, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »

Morning,
I suffer from some VA and dryness. I have been using Vagifem for many months now (a 2 month daily load at the consultant's suggestion) and then 5 days a week. I still suffer from the razor blade feeling internally during intimacy (particularly on the left-hand side - I am wondering if this is where I had an episiotomy many years ago!). 
As I am not feeling any improvement, I am trying Ovestin internally 5-7 days a week instead.   I have only just started this but wanted to ask if anyone has had better success internally with Ovestin than Vagimem?
I am also on full hrt -  100mg Estradot patch and 100mg utrogestan vaginally nightly.  I use the ovestin in the morning.
Thank you! x

LizzyLoo

Re: Ovestin v Vagifem Inernally
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »

Ovestin all the way for me (but I only use twice weekly) x

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »

Hi CherryC,

Re Vagifem versus Ovestin, it's a case of try it and see, as what works for one doesn't always work for another. Also, if you are dry inside, Ovestin may work better, as for some the Vagifem doesn't dissolve too well.

The advantage with Ovestin is that you can also rub some directly onto the labia. Regarding the old episiotomy scar, rubbing some Ovestin in gently might help. Has anyone examined you there, or have you had a look yourself?

If you have Facebook, it is worth joining the private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook group run by Jane Lewis (Maryjane on this forum). She has also written a good book called "Me and my Menopausal Vagina".

JP x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 01:26:29 PM »

I use both.  Vagifem internally and estrogen cream externally.  As for intimacy, many ladies seem to like Intrarosa.  You may want to put Intrarosa into search engine as there is an excellent thread on this product.  Unfortunately I am not a candidate as I require much stronger VA treatment due to severity but for ladies with mild to moderate VA, Intrarosa seems to be an excellent option.  Hope you get it sorted.  Such a long road to hoe.

CherryC

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »

Thank you for your helpful replies ladies - I will report back after a period on the Ovestin x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »

You are meant to use Ovestin at night.

CherryC

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »

I use the Utrogestan vaginally at night so thought it might be better to use the Ovestin in the morning?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »

The reason for using it at night is to give it time to be absorbed, maybe use Vagifem as that can be used anytime.

Tc

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »

Hiya cherry.   I switched over a few months ,ago. From vagifem to ovestin.  I did a loading dose even though I'd been on nightly vagifem.  I find better results with ovestin

X

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 05:47:41 PM »

Tc...could it be estroil vs estrodiol that is the reason you prefer Ovestin?    Seems so many of you UK ladies have such good success with Ovestin.  I live in Canada and estroil is not an option😕.   We do now have Intrarosa approved by the FDA but NP says not strong enough for me. 

Tc

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »

Hiya whatsup.  Very interesting question.

I have tried to research estriol vs estradiol for VVA  and   all the info I could find was more looking at the systemic absorption side of the comparrison and not  specifically whether vaginal and bladder tissues respond differently from one to the other. 

It seems  clear that  low dose e3 and e2 are  both considered effective.treatments for VVA  in clinical trials.  But as for differences it seems we only have personal experience and preference to rely on.

Since the delivery methods differ we are comparing a tablet with a cream.  The cream element may be the factor in estriol working better for me and there isnt an estradiol cream available for me to compare that to.

I think it might help to be specific when saying exactly why I personally prefer one to the other..

When I was using vagifem inside and ovestin outside (vulva)  I found the first inch or so inside the vagina still very dry.  I tried inserting vagifem lower to no avail and so I ended up putting some estriol inside the lower vagina as well as using vagifem. It worked.  Since I use nightly i was  then  using  half dose of ovestin plus the vagifem internally so thought  I would be best to make the switch to just ovestin  and it does seem to have continued to  help the issue of the dryness. In the lower part of vaginal canal even though I insert it high up. Maybe the cream smoothes itself along the canal better.

. I can compare ovestin to estriol 0.01 cream And found ovestin much more effective for me.  The dose is the same so I think it might be due to the consistency.  The estriol seemed to form "globs" and a fair amount would leak out onto underwear whereas ovestin doesnt with me.

I believe a forum member has tried introsa and has a thread on it.

Whatsup. Are you finding vagifem doesnt work well for you? 

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:58 PM »

I do find Vagifem has definately helped, Tc, but after 6 mos. of daily use I still have some discomfort.  I get discharge from the Vagifem fillers which does have a tendency to irritate tho nothing I can't live with.  I'm always willing to try something that many of you have found very effective.  I was.  interested as to why you changed and I thank you for clarifying.  I like the ease of vagifem plus applicator being very slim, I can snuggle it up there.    Thx. for answering.  Someday if I ever  win the Lotto 😂I would pop over to the UK (which I love), meet some of you incredible ladies and pick up enough Ovestin to sink a battleship!  Also Tc, Vagifem is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE in Canada and in US.

Tc

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 10:46:21 PM »

Whatsup. Maybe we could do an exchange visit. You could come to UK  and  stock up on ovestin and I could come to Canada and do something I cant do ilegally n the UK...now let me think.......🤣🤣🤣

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 11:04:58 PM »

😂.  Yup in Canada now when someone snarkly says 'so stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it', well we Canucks respond 'alrighty I'm on it'. 

Tc

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 11:16:25 PM »

😎👍🌿
Pages: [1] 2