Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194049 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2610 on: October 31, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »

James Gallagher

It feels like history is repeating itself.
In March, the government was trying to slow rather than stop the virus. Then modelling said huge numbers of people would die and we ended up in lockdown.
A key difference this time is the government's science advisers called for a circuit-breaker six weeks ago.
The price of delay is cases are higher and we have missed the boat for doing it at the same time as school holidays for extra impact. It means we may have to lockdown for longer.
The spring lockdown did bring cases down. A lockdown now would be expected to do the same.

Now the Press Call has been put back until 5.00  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #2611 on: November 01, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »

It feels like half a lockdown. People still allowed to go to work and schools still open seems to allow for a big transmission of the virus. One of my sons is considering coming back here for the month as he lives in an HMO and the others all work in the care or supermarket sector while he can work from home. However if the lockdown is extended then he wouldn't be allowed back to his house  :-\

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2612 on: November 01, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »

I would suggest that he stays with you?  I can't see why schools aren't closed  :-\ as it has a knock on effect when a child is suspect: family members have to isolate which may take some out of the work place.

'experts' told Boris that he needed to shut down 3-4 weeks ago, why didn't he?  Pushed from different depts maybe?  Our dentist has brought out appts forwards to this morning  :o so I may B gone some time .......... instead of mid-November.  As we are in the same bubble it makes it easier for him to get ahead.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2613 on: November 01, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »

It is a half lockdown. They've said they'll look at the situation in a couple weeks time if the infection rate hasn't lowered. My opinion is, it's not going to lower if university's and schools remain open. Parents still have to pick children up from school, and if everywhere is like round here, there's no masks and distancing happening. 🤷‍♀️
My son and OH will still be at work. OH is a key worker, son, in a well known car factory.

Sparrow

« Reply #2614 on: November 01, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »

You must be glad they have jobs then Jillydoll.  After all this there will be may that don't.

Very worried about both my sons employment prospects.  The damage from this will be horrendous.  :(

Penguin99

« Reply #2615 on: November 01, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »

It will be awful. My son has been looking for work for ages and he's not having any luck. I think its stsrting to get him down. I only grateful he hasn't shut down manufacturing places so hopefully he can get some work. I'm a key worker and I will be going back to work since my operation a few weeks ago, what a week to go back! I just can't see an end to all this :'(

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2616 on: November 01, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »

I'm worried about my sons job. With this going on AND Brexit, Christ knows what'll happen.
His factory is already asking for voluntary redundancies.
It's such a worrisome time for everyone. In every aspect of employment.

Penguin99

« Reply #2617 on: November 01, 2020, 09:38:41 PM »

Such a worry for us parents. He's applied for a job doing covid swabs. I hope and pray he gets it. Just so annoying when I think he is such a lovely young man, never rude to anyone, always helped our elderly lady neighbour, he even got up and saw to  her  at 2am! I just wish someone would give him a chance, and it's only going to get worse. There's a programme on tomorrow night about the job crisis because of covid, I don't know if I'd dare watch it. Its not just the worry of staying safe now is it?

CLKD

« Reply #2618 on: November 01, 2020, 10:01:54 PM »

Originally it was 'stay at home, save the NHS' - now it needs to be focussed on job losses etc.; all those musicians that are self employed, many who travel World wide  :'(

jaycee

« Reply #2619 on: November 01, 2020, 11:20:26 PM »

I can't see this getting any better unless they also close schools and colleges,
Parents will still be meeting at the school gates and talking,
I must say here i haven't seen many people who don't wear masks,even in the street,
Just when businesses are getting back on their feet they are going to have to close again,it's terrible
Luckily for my daughter she works for the council park and ride,and finished work yesterday on full pay until at least Easterm but who knows what will happen after that,it has been very quiet even when it opened up again last Easter,
One site has already closed down

Blot

« Reply #2620 on: November 01, 2020, 11:31:36 PM »

I’m trying to understand the logic of it all but to be fair there is very little risk of catching covid from talking to someone outdoors.

Whether schools and colleges should be closed, who knows but this isn’t going to go away and lockdown may just take the pressure off for a few weeks till flu season kicks in then we are stuffed. Gonna be in and out of lockdown like the Hokey Cokey but it solves nothing.

Penguin99

« Reply #2621 on: November 01, 2020, 11:47:53 PM »

I agree, it solves nothing, its still going to be there. It hits the people that abide by the rules as those, who quite frankly don't care less will continue to not care less :bang:

Sparrow

« Reply #2622 on: November 02, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »

I’m trying to understand the logic of it all but to be fair there is very little risk of catching covid from talking to someone outdoors.

Whether schools and colleges should be closed, who knows but this isn’t going to go away and lockdown may just take the pressure off for a few weeks till flu season kicks in then we are stuffed. Gonna be in and out of lockdown like the Hokey Cokey but it solves nothing.

I agree.  It's just like sticking your finger in a dam.  Remove it and we are back to square one.

I found the announcement on Saturday insulting.  Many people are now much better informed and the graphs they used were nonsense.  People need facts not wild predictions.

C.C.

« Reply #2623 on: November 02, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »

For the past week, the province has been reporting new cases, at least 900 per day.  Some hot spots went back to Stage 2 but with some concessions but it obviously hasn't done anything.  No talk of a lockdown as the economy would plummet again.  More children are leaving the schools and opting for remote learning, the teachers are taking their classes outside as much as possible.

I have no clue if we'll have restrictions during Christmas. :-\ 

CLKD

« Reply #2624 on: November 02, 2020, 06:34:30 PM »

Places of worship will close, unless they are being used for funerals, to broadcast acts of worship, individual prayer, formal childcare, or essential services such as blood donation or food banks .......... how does that work  :-\.  They should always be open!
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 179