Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 206244 times)

Tc

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2145 on: June 12, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »

Cassie no one should question what you feel you need to do to keep yourself safe.  It is up to us all as individuals to take that responsibility for ourselves.  But I also feel a responsibility to others especially my parents and the older vulnerable in my family. I personally have only been to the shops.  I wont be meeting up with friends I havent seen in the park etc or doing anything I think is unnecessary because I want to visit mum and dad in their garden and I feel a responsibility not to put them at risk.  But not everyone in my family thinks that way.  For instance I can now go into my mum and dads flat if I want to.  But I dont think my sis should as she is working with lots of people and my niece and nephew are too.  The potential is there for a family row.  And when it comes down to it. I cant tell my sister what to do. I've been accused of being paranoid too.  Plus I know for a fact if mum has me there no way will she have one daughter and not the other.

The lifting of lockdown whilst necessary is creating these intra family dilemmas everywhere I would imagine.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:50:02 AM by Tc »

Barnacle

« Reply #2146 on: June 12, 2020, 10:44:39 AM »

My sister lives alone and couldn't decide between our parents households, so she has decided to visit neither and form a bubble with her friend who is also on her own.

Bleedin' nightmare!

Jeepers

« Reply #2147 on: June 12, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »

Hi TC

I can identify with what you are saying.  I have 3 sisters, one has cancer and is isolating, and another lives 150 miles away.  So the remaining sister, has 5 kids and assorted grand kids all in and out of her house, bending (breaking) the rules constantly.  So, sister will not visit my Mum across town, even to see her through the window, or in the garden.  She even suggested that my 83 year old mum get the bus across town and visit her!  As her house has more space and easier to distance apparently!

I feel so sorry for my Mum.  My daughter and I do as much as we can, bring her shopping, visit and sit in the garden (or talk through her window sometimes).

I did wonder if I should create a bubble with my Mum rather than my bf, but in the end I thought it would be better to continue as we are, sitting in the garden etc.  Because my daughter who lives with me still has to go out to work, and the office she works in is small, and they still have bail hearing etc.  Added to that they are starting jury trials again, and lots of people will be passing through her workplace.

Jeepers xx

Tc

« Reply #2148 on: June 12, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »

Barnacle. Maybe I should advertise for a "bubble friend" 😁

Jeeps. That sounds like a sensible solution to me.  Each family has to weigh it all up I guess.  My worry is  that if I make my bubble anyone but my parents then should they need me that would prevent me from going inside their (small) flat.  My instinct is to "reserve "  my bubble for the time being in case they need me there.

My 74 year old uncle has just been called for jury service. The age was increased from 70 to 75 only a few years back.  I wouldve thought given the current situation they wouldve started by calling under 70s first.

Xx

Jeepers

« Reply #2149 on: June 12, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »

Hi TC

He can ask to be excused?  I'm sure in the current climate, that would be deemed reasonable excuse.  My daughter tells me she is really surprised at the amount of people ringing up saying they are looking forward to it!  Everyone must be really bored.  I've done it, and its a lot of sitting around, waiting.  Added to the risk factor, its not really an inviting prospect.

thats a good point about if your parents were to need you, what a lovely daughter you are  :)

Jeepers xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2150 on: June 12, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »

There really is no logic is there  ::). He can refuse, of course.   It is illegal for the over 70s to mix, how many healthy over 70s have had to isolate  :-\

Mum's fine whilst she continues to moan  ;D and I have no desire to drive for 2 hours to be told that she can't sit for long as someone might sit in her chair  >:(

Jeepers

« Reply #2151 on: June 12, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »

The jury selections are done by computers.  I suppose they haven't changed the algorithm to exclude any over 70's, or had any human intervention to filter them out. 

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #2152 on: June 12, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »

Probably didn't cross anyone's mind that over 70s are still isolating .......... I hope he says a firm 'no'! 

CLKD

« Reply #2153 on: June 12, 2020, 12:06:36 PM »

Hair salons aren't open  :-\   ???

Well done Tc on your Dad playing golf. I think more people are likely to die in the over 70 age groups from lack of exercise!! They are in the fresh air after all .......... golf however, spoils a good walk  :D

Kathleen

« Reply #2154 on: June 12, 2020, 12:48:42 PM »

Hello ladies.

The easing of the Lockdown is making me anxious. I realise that the economy needs  businesses to open but it seems that some people are acting as if the danger has passed and it hasn't.

My nephew has continued to work, travelling all around the country including hotpots like London. He has now invited himself to his parent's house for lunch even though his father has health issues including compromised lung function due to cancer. When we mentioned that this visit  might be a bit risky we were told we were making a fuss.  My SIL wants us to visit too but how can we insist on social distancing if they behave as if it is no longer necessary. They will end up being physically close to us and we can't run away!

Friends of ours who work in the local hospital say all staff have had their July leave cancelled so perhaps a second spike of COVID is expected then, possibly as a result of the relaxed regulations.

I will be continuing with social distancing for the time being and wait with baited breath to see the results of the recent changes.

Take care ladies.

K.

Tc

« Reply #2155 on: June 12, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »

Kathleen. It's all so difficult for family relations. .  I agree that the next few weeks will be very telling in terms of another spike.  However hard we try to keep safe we are being effected by how others choose to view the seriousness of this.

Clkd. Dad makes exactly that point about exercise and fresh air.

Aah. Thanks jeeps.  And thanks for the info about jury service being computer generated.  My uncle has said no.

Clkd. The chair thing.  Oh my days.  I've seen ppl in a care home have a fight over a chair!!

Xxx

Two hoots

« Reply #2156 on: June 12, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »

I check every day how many new cases have been reported in my county and how many tests have been carried out.  I feel better about going out when I read its usually 0 or 1 new cases but I still keep my distance. I try and find any positive news that I can, at the moment the second wave of infections doesnt seem to be happening in europe, even though they have started to open businesses and schools according to the professor I follow on twitter. Fingers crossed second wave doesnt happen here either  :)

CLKD

« Reply #2157 on: June 12, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »

Distance and hand washing in hot soapy water regularly are key.

Does anyone really need to rush to the shops, by the way the Royal Mail were talking through March and April, people had been buying on line  ::)

Teresa - we have our own bubble here  ;).  It's usually much quieter too, I'm sure we will all be hoarse and deaf by C.mas  :D

Leave being cancelled is probably to relief those who have been on the Front Line.  If Staff have been on Duty in non-Covid areas they will be drafted to other areas to cover those already exhausted workers.  Leave being cancelled is usual in a 'major accident' scenerio, that is over 42 people involved in an incident.

;D. I've seen daggers drawn - years ago I took my dog visiting the local Private Retirement Home and if anyone sat in someone else's chair  :madeyes: if looks could kill - I suppose it's security? 

A 2nd wave isn't expected.  Apparently.  It really does depend on which hymn sheet 'they' are reading from  >:(

Tc

« Reply #2158 on: June 12, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »

Two hoots. I hadnt thought of checking locally. But I think maybe going forwards there will be more obvious"pockets" where infection rates are higher. I've just checked my local figures and my borough is half way down the list of London boroughs (confirmed covid cases). But my local paper has reported that the more "deprived areas" of  my borough are showing a higher percentage of cases and higher death rates than the rest of the borough.  They list my area as "more deprived" 🙁 not that I didnt know that already. But maybe it's no coincidence that I've spent the whole of lockdown moaning that ppl in my area are not distancing and havent from the start.

Teresa sending you a big hug. I know what it feels like to suddenly realise you havent used your voice for days. 

When everyone was in the same boat with lockdown I had no shortage of friends calling during the day and weekends.  Group chats, group quizzes etc.  In fact I had more interaction daily than I have the whole time I've lived alone. But ppl.are going back to work as you say. And soon ppl will be resuming other areas of their lives and the last couple of weeks my phone hasnt rung as much.

When it gets like that I usually get a glass of wine  and sit and go through my phone list and call anyone who will answer.   :)   

I'm glad you met up with a friend. Even distanced it's still good to have that interaction.

Xxxx

Two hoots

« Reply #2159 on: June 12, 2020, 04:28:50 PM »

If you want to check local numbers the ONS postcode area map has been updated, I used google to find it  :)
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 179