Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling dizzy and odd!  (Read 1834 times)

Ellen May

Feeling dizzy and odd!
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »

Happy new year to you all 😊

I am looking for some help, guidance and general reassurance that I am not going mad....

I have been perimenopausal for a few years now and think I have been camping fairly well. Had several trips to a&e in the beginning until cardiologist suggested menopause and it all made sense. Saw gynae who recommended hrt but wanted me to have a mirena coil which I am not happy with so have been managing ok since then.
Have had dizziness, anxiety, palpitations, nausea, trembling limbs etc etc but all manageable. The worst one is the health anxiety so I can diagnose many terminal illnesses in one day!

Anyway, over the last few days I have been having these odd sensations of dizziness and feeling as though I may faint even though I haven't and it passes. I missed my own New Year's Eve party as ended up in bed at 11.45pm with dizziness and nausea. I had it again today and felt as though I had a hot flush too but not sure, could be panic that made me hot.

Sorry for all the rambling but I feel so anxious and worried. Any advice and guidance on how I can manage these symptoms would be wonderful.

Ellen May

Re: Feeling dizzy and odd!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:38:48 PM »

Coping fairly well, not camping!!!

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:53:23 PM »

Oh yes,
They all sound VERY familiar and you are defo NOT going mad.
Mirror image of myself 2 yrs ago!
You sound like you have all the lovely symptoms of peri.
Until HRT got rid of them all, i really didn't put the pieces together and how significant the decline of Oestrogen has on EVERy system in the body.
Anxiety was superb, nothing quite like it, along with cotton wool head/out of bodyfeelings/glue thoughts/insomnia/night sweats-wow/bladder urgency/breaking nails/achy bones/vertigo/dry eyes
Needless to say since HRT and a lot of tinkering they have all gone.

Tropicalmoment

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »

You have just described me and my life!!
I had very similar symptoms about 8weeks ago...dizziness and nausea took myself off to the GP and when he took my pulse he said it was very high - although I was feeling very anxious and I'm sure it was white coat syndrome, the dizziness went after 2 days. Anyway, around 10 days later I had my first period in 5months and thinking about it logically  I'm sure I'd had some kind of rise in hormone levels and that was what had caused the dizziness and nausea. Hope this helps.

Erika28

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:38:58 PM »

Usually, dizziness, anxiety, palpitations, nausea are caused by the drop in estrogen.

Ellen May

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:31:56 PM »

Thank you all for your replies, glad to hear I am not going mad 😊

I did wonder if it was oestrogen levels or iron? I am going to try to get an appt with my GP tomorrow so will ask then...

Penelope

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 11:04:20 PM »

Hi Ellen

Maybe your heart pounds quickly and loudly, your hands shake with tremors, you feel dizzy, and it's hard to catch your breath. You break out in a sweat, gripped by a sense of fear. Or maybe you feel your heart skipping beats, racing, fluttering, or pounding. You may not realize that what feels like a panic attack or heart palpitations can be symptoms of hyperthyroidism or autoimmune Graves' disease,Hashimoto’s thyroiditis all of which involve an overactive thyroid. Because your thyroid and your heart are so closely intertwined, having any sort of thyroid disease can result in heart symptoms.

The Link
Your thyroid and your heart are closely linked together and what affects one can affect the other.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:07:48 PM by Penelope »

Pamela03

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »

My first post here ! I've also been coping really well, minor symptoms (I'm 54 and periods just going closer together and clotting) but this month and last month I've been so tearful and on and off anxious. I've always had a bit of health anxiety but it's been off the scale for a few days this month and last. Every single slight change or twinge I'm dying and can't seem to get it under control. I'm feeling much calmer today but I dread it coming back.
Desperate to get a handle on those worries becoming overwhelming. And stupidly it's so bad when it comes that I'm too terrified to see the doctor as I'm convinced I'm on the way out !!
Im very capable, busy, generally really lucky person with no known health problems...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »

I have a nerve in the back of my neck which if I move makes me go 'oh!' as I feel really weird.

Pamela03 - browse round.  Make notes.  What's the worst that can happen?  Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.

Ellen May

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »

Keeping a diary is a great idea.

I have health anxiety these days so every twinge or change sends me into a panic. The only thing keeping me sane really is that I have had these symptoms for over 2 years now and nothing serious has happened, so far anyway! They haven't got worse or increased so must be menopausal. Keeping a diary would help on the days when I can't help overthinking and worrying as I can look back and feel reassured....

Mogster71

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 04:51:08 AM »

Keeping a diary will also help you identify patterns...now I know my headaches come in the week around my period! It doesn't make things go away but if you can rationalise them as "oh, it's THAT time again" they can be easier to deal with. Plus, if you need any ammunition/evidence to get some support from your GP then you've got something documented - e.g. I've kept a log for the last 3 months and every x I get y kind of thing....

Each of you could have written my story for the last 3 or 4 years but minus the panic. Dizziness and nausea for sure, along with headaches for the last 2. You don't have to have a lot of oestrogen missing to feel rough!