Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Good Doctors that talk about HRT?  (Read 1360 times)

KaraShannon

Good Doctors that talk about HRT?
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »

Hi all

I remember listening to a doctor from the US talking about HRT.  It was on You Tube.  She was the first doctor to make me think I'd be better off on HRT rather than not (I haven't started taking mine yet).

As the NHS website in the UK still talks mainly about risks, I'm wondering if there's anyone that I can listen to or read who is in favour of it and particularly the newer ones.  Are there any good books out there or speakers about it?

Thanks.  Back to nesting the house, I seem in permanent nesting mode at the moment and still waiting for a period that's 2 months late.  ;D

Dotty

Re: Good Doctors that talk about HRT?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »

Hi KaraShannon - for a reasonably up to date book that comprehensively examines HRT risks & benefits & addresses the findings of the major flawed studies, I'd recommend Oestrogen Matters by Dr Avrum Bluming.  He worked with breast cancer patients for many years & his wife & daughter both developed the disease yet went on to use HRT afterwards with his blessing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:20:22 PM by Wrensong »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »

There was a BBC programme called "The truth about Menopause" with Mariella Frostrup that my DR suggested I watch when I was hesitant about increasing HRT. It's really interesting and it's available on catch up, I just checked.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »

I remember a friend who couldn't talk on the 'phone B4 a period, she was too busy cleaning the house  ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »

Hello KaraShannon.

My trusty meno book which I purchased a long time ago, was written by a female doctor and was very pro HRT. She took it herself and said that it was unfair to expect women to live the last portion of their lives without supplementing oestrogen. This made me wonder how so many women seemed to be happily doing just that. At  my surgery I've encountered some GPs  who are pro and others anti.  Basically the advice you get depends on who you are talking to.

In an ideal world we would all have free access to HRT but also effective help and treatment for those women who cannot or do not want to take it or who have found it has brought problems of its own.

Take care ladies.

K.

Penelope

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 06:56:12 PM »

The more I read the more I can see the benefits of being on HRT the protection it gives you in so many health episodes as you age is wonderful.Its almost like taking a preventative medicine.
Anyone else find that?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »

We are all different and some women are effected more by hormones than others it would seem, including myself. Interesting what you say Stellajane it made me think of my mum who in her 50's suffered from depression and was on fairly high dose anti depressents until she died a year ago. She had migraines up until her late 50's. I bet the depression had a hormonal element as did her previous headaches, but she'd never heard about hormones. I've never made the link before.

Jari

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 09:21:43 PM »

Hi KaraShannon

I think it really depends how bad your symptoms are, if you have any?

I took hrt for a short 3 months because I was having intense hot flushes. I had been given the impression that this was how it was going to be for the next few decades, so, was determined to get Hrt.

My GP was totally against it, so I paid for it through a private doctor. This was a mistake in hindsight, because I got very bad side effects so came off it.

Since coming off it, my symptoms have very much faded.. had I known that I was only going to have symptoms for a year or two then I would not have been so keen to get onto hrt.

All the replies are really just based on our own individual experiences. Some women get on well with hrt and some women do not feel the benefits.

It all depends how severe your symptoms are and how you feel about it. X

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:26:51 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/results'search_query=british+menopause+society

The British Menopause Society has made a series of you tube videos, and one of them is Dr Heather Currie, of this site.

Joaniepat

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 09:36:35 PM »

Yes, it can be true the more you read the more convinced you become that its a good thing.

However ..... it also cannot be denied that there are loads of women who never feel the need to even enquire about taking it and get along perfectly well.

How many of us had grandmothers who lived to a healthy old age sans hormones?
It's an interesting point stellajane. My mother and maternal grandmother lived into their 90s but I can't say the last ten years of their lives were healthy. My mother's health problems, which included osteoporosis and urinary incontinence, would appear to be hormone related.

It's a relatively new thing for HRT users to be prescribed it into old age and until the end of life, and for those who have this opportunity it will be interesting to see how they fare compared to those who have never used it.

Also we need to remember those in care homes suffering greatly with urinary problems, never having been prescribed even local oestrogen  :'(

JP x

KaraShannon

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »

Complete total and utter fatigue is a main symptom, to the extent that I won't respond much to posts and then other times I'll speak a lot more.  Can't right now. 

The other symptom is new, totally new, which is pelvic floor weakness.  When I had the flu I was peeing every time I coughed.  Now that flu is over I'm finding I can cough and sneeze ok again, but aware my pelvic floor is suddenly weaker than it was (and not just because of the flu and the cough I had for 8 weeks). 

Other than that I haven't really got symptoms, I don't get hot flushes, I had terrible heart skips and palpitations but these have calmed down since my period stopped just over 2 months ago.  But pelvic floor weaker.

I'm really thinking in terms of preventative medicene and who knows if taking it is right, or not taking it is.  All I know is things have changed with me and it hasn't been gradual.  I've got crow's feet!!!  They appeared almost overnight.  All around the same time that my period has been absent.  That tells me that the hormonal changes may actually be responsible for those aspects of what we call ageing. 

But I really think the jury's out and I respect all viewpoints. 

Thanks for the references, I'm going to check them all out and I'll get back when not so brain fogged! lol

Jari

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 10:03:59 PM »

KaraShannon, for me, my best investment ( ?2 on Amazon) was Dr Marilyn Glenville's book Natural Solutions to menopause. I follow her Hormone balancing diet/lifestyle and I now have very few/almost no symptoms and I am nearly 2 years post menopause now 

Can definitely recommend this, if you?re interested in the natural route, but it really depends on what you feel is best for you. X

KaraShannon

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 10:19:52 PM »

Thanks Stellajane

I have hashimoto's, since 2000.  I am overdue for a blood test, though they keep telling me it's normal lately (since my old doctor retired and I have to deal with the shiny new one, lol).  I will be more insistent this time that I am given my numbers and I'll make my own mind up.  But the dose I'm on 200 mcg, I should be stable now.  Let's see.

The crow's feet are not really a problem, they are quite gentle looking and I've seen them on women younger than me, it's just that they appeared so suddenly, it was unnerving, along with the coughing and peeing with the flu and the absence of my period.  But your experience is interesting, I've taken note, thanks.

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 09:37:04 AM »

The British Menopause Society has also produced some videos - which were mentioned and linked to on this thread:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46515.msg750887.html#msg750887

Also here is their youtube channel:
https://thebms.org.uk/publications/videos/bms-tv/

You won't get much better than this - all the best experts spouting their stuff!

Hurdity x