Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Medicine not helping my panic attacks right now  (Read 9742 times)

Redlocks

Re: Medicine not helping my panic attacks right now
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »

Hello GypsyRoseLee and Happy New Year:)
Thank you - I'm still struggling with the anxiety and feelings of ‘flatness' today but the consultation went very well.
He said he thinks that if I stay on the 100mcg estrogen patch and take 100mg of Utrogestan for 21 days out of 28, the regime I was originally on, I should improve in about three to four months. I told him I'd been on that dose for just over four weeks without noticing the benefit and he confirmed it was too far early to tell.
So it's an waiting game. He was honest when he said he did not know how much my hormones were causing my anxiety and depression (i.e. whether my issues are caused by endocrine imbalance or psychiatric illness/psychological distress) - I'll have to see how I'm doing around April!
He also said he was glad I saw a psychiatrist because their treatments work faster than HRT. He even said that the blood test results I had were mainly normal (I'll write them up if anyone's interested) but hard to link to moods at any given time because sometimes the symptoms become apparent after any hormonal fluctuations.
As for the progesterone, it appears I'm not an unusual case - he's seen many others do well on the 100mg dose and then not be able to tolerate 200mg, getting various side effects. He also said something about receptors becoming jammed or blocked after high doses of progesterone, but I'm not sure I heard that correctly!
I don't know if any of this is remotely helpful to any of you, but if so then that makes me happy. My next fun adventure is to have a pelvic ultrasound tomorrow, argh!
X
Ps: I promise I'll get back to each post later and see if I can help at all - I didn't realise there were so many posts when I logged back in!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2020, 09:32:46 PM »

Any experiences are welcome.

GRL - Dr Dalton recognised premenstrual syndrome ...... how hormones affected girls to the point that they committed murder.  I think a lot of problems are that there is no empthaty.

Birdy - could you put a Link to this: researchers found that the addictive power of benzos was similar to that of opioids, cannabinoids, and GHB – all substances with exceptionally strong addictive qualities. They believe that as benzos accumulate in the body, they actually alter the structure and function of certain receptors in the brain that make them more susceptible to excitable surges from other neurotransmitters, and further increase and intensify dopamine rushes. . tnx.

Why is my advice not accepted Birdy?  I really wish you'd stop advising people to take benzos CLKD! They are potentially very dangerous drugs.
. Ladies ask for advice about specifics and with experience I can offer up my experience.  My opinion is valid.

I have never become addicted although I have an addictive personality and am learning more about 'me' every year.  But if a GP is responsible, alert and takes care of the patient, support and advice can be given.  Most drugs are dangerous. 

Redlocks

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2020, 09:52:27 PM »

clio51, thanks so much for the encouragement - I was so scared to get help as I didn't want to make it more ‘real', and it was really hard but I'm glad I got the extra medicine to help me, at least for the next few months while I see if I can adjust again to the HRT regime I was on originally.

And is it really too late for you to take progesterone if you feel it will help? I've heard of women in their 70s still taking HRT!
X

Redlocks

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »

Also clio51, when you described your symptoms I didn't think you sounded ‘dramatic' - it really is that horrible! How have you been this weekend?
X

Redlocks

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2020, 10:08:39 PM »

ElkWarning, thanks for the link: I'll have a go! Happy New Year :)
X

Redlocks

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2020, 10:12:59 PM »

countrygirl, I sympathise so much with what you said :( And it sounds like you are a classic case of someone with ‘reproductive depression/anxiety'. I'm not sure if mine's an endocrine or psychiatric problem, my gynaecologist isn't either.
X

Redlocks

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »

CLKD and Birdy,
I really do appreciate your posts.
Benzodiazepines are of course problematic and affect people differently - when I took Valium as a teenager for two weeks while I got used to my first SSRIs I found it very helpful, but a friend of mine said she became addicted after just two days of taking them.
I don't find them to give me an amazing high, and I felt a million times better when the progesterone was doing its job. Luckily my psychiatrist prescribed me another antidepressant to see if that helps.
CLKD, I think it's always a matter of weighing up the benefits and risks, and quality of life is so important! As you said all drugs are potentially very dangerous, so patients need to have all the information available.
And a belated thanks for the hug!  :bighug:
I hope you're both doing ok this weekend?
X
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]