Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Periods after stopping HRT  (Read 2116 times)

Glass.half.full

Periods after stopping HRT
« on: December 15, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »

Hi ladies,  I stopped HRT 3 months ago when it became impossible to fill my prescription.  I've been very lucky that I haven't had any return of the symptoms I had when I went on HRT 5 years ago.  My first period post HRT was normal, the second period was fine but I also bled mid month around ovulation time.  This month I've bled lightly but continually since mid month and now my period has started properly.  Is this usual?  I have read that periods can go a bit bonkers when coming off HRT, has anyone experienced this?  Oh and I'm 52 x

Hurdity

Re: Periods after stopping HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »

Hi glass.half.full - a girl after my own heart :)

It depends where you were in menopause when you started HRT 5 years ago. I mean if you were already peri and skipping periods etc you would hope that they would not necessarily return with quite the same frequency after 5 years.

Are you saying that you had your first period 1 month after stopping and then the second after another month and then middle of the third month?

What HRT were you on? How your body is reacting depends to some extent on what you were taking and of course where in menopause. If you are still having regular (normal) periods then you are still very much peri-menopausal and as such your symptoms may come back. However the bleeding could be eg due to a thickened womb lining built up while you were taking HRT or possibly fibroids that have grown?

You are only just at the average age of menopause so  you may well still have periods for a while yet.

Depending on what you were taking and where you were in meno when starting hRT - keep an eye on it and do not hesitate to go back to the doc if the bleeding continues and uf you are at all worried that it seems abnormal or unexpected. Anything goes in peri-menopause - but you don't really know if this bleeding is normal or not for you, without a quick medical check...

Hurdity x

Glass.half.full

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:10:57 PM »

Hi Hurdity,  pre HRT I was 46 and had been having a very very heavy periods one month followed by a light bleed half way through the second month and then a proper period at the end of the second month.  My period followed this cycle for around a year before I went on HRT. 
I was on sequential patches, FemSeven 50mg until they were no longer available then Evorel sequi 50mg.  I had already started to cut the patches in half about 6 months prior to the shortages and when they were no longer available i just stopped them altogether.

I stopped taking them at the end of a packet, so I was just about to bleed.  This was the usual.  Then after 4 weeks I had another bleed which was the usual.  The following month I had spotting around the time I would ovulate (approx day 12 of my cycle) and then a full bleed at the end of that month.  The following month I had similar spotting mid-month which continued for 2-3 weeks until my period kicked in. 

I thought I would see how I go over the next couple of weeks and make an appointment with my GP if there's no change. 

Thanks for your advice, it's truly appreciated x

Glass.half.full

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »

Oh and I should add that I do have fibroids - didn't occur to me that they could have grown - oh joy 😳