Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: I don’t know what’s going on?  (Read 617 times)

Lollypoplols

I don’t know what’s going on?
« on: December 10, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Please help me I'm at my wits end.
3 years ago at the age of 38 I had a complete hysterectomy the ovaries and everything. I was sent from the hospital with Everol patches which I gave up on after about 6 months. I wanted to see how I would feel without them so came off. Since then
I have only had about 3 hot flushes in 3 years, rarely any other side effects so felt I had got off scott free. Yay for me!

Now fast forward 2 1/2 years and for the last 6 months I have suffered sever depression, anxiety and fantasies about suicide ( which I have no intention of carrying out please don't worry ) I have days where moving around feels like wading through treacle. My mood is all over the place. I used to run and go to the gym but now getting out the door is a struggle. If I have a busy day it takes me a day to recover.
I went to the doctor and he gave me an antidepressant called Citalopram which has helped somewhat but I still have some very low days. I went back for a review and he told me to go on HRT again. He ran all sorts of blood tests and nothing showed up other than low oestrogen and progesterone which makes sense.

How do I know if this is menopausal symptoms or if I'm just cracking up with depression and anxiety? The doctor can't tell me he just says go back on it.
I can't find anyone to get any advice from I'm only 41 my friends aren't there yet and I don't know anyone else who's had surgical menopause.
I'm lost and confused.

Anybody that can tell me where to get help or share any experiences I would be so grateful.

Thank you xx

sheila99

Re: I don’t know what’s going on?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »

I'm not an expert but - I agree with your doctor. No one can tell you the cause for certain but low levels are a strong possibility, many of your symptoms are meno ones As you're so young you should be on HRT anyway to protect your heart and bones. Is there some reason you don't want to go back on it? That would be the best way to find out if this is the problem. Have you done anything to protect your bones or had a dexa scan? Osteoporosis is something you definitely don't want.

Lollypoplols

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 10:40:52 PM »

Thank you Sheila99
I came off hrt originally because I struggled sleeping on it and having had ovarian cancer 15 years go I was worried about the risk of breast cancer.
 I am worried about osteoporosis but  the doctor said taking a calcium tablet would be enough.
Hopefully I'll pick up soon back on the hrt but you're right taking it will be a good way to find out

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:53:09 PM »

hi

like u i had full hysterectomy at 35 had no symtoms for 4 years and then i started getting vaginal dampness possible  VA i never took hrt !
last year i went on hrt elleste solo mx40 patch didn't suit me so stop 7 weeks later then 2 weeks later started vagifem and 5 weeks after this started shedding hair ! ( previously hadn't shed hair) so changed vagifem to ovestin and then started estrogel and am still shedding hair so not sure if the estrogel has caused it to further shed ! in terms of mood aniexty depression headaches this cane for me starting hrt ! but i only take estrogen and i believe it's imbalance that's causes this ! i'm going to hrt free for a week or so see if shedding stops and then i see my gp friday so i think i shall start all 3 hormones together and stick to that for a while and see how i go , estrogel i find give me a thick head to but again is this lack of progesterone . i've been on hrt a year and still not balanced x