Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Question about oestrogen patches to ladies who have got patches from spain  (Read 1008 times)

Dandelion

Hi My sister got me some evopak from spain but I failed to tell her that they should not be stored over 25 degrees celsius.
It will have been warm in spain at that time of year and on the  flight back, plus i don't know how she stored them when she got home before posting them to me.
I kept them in a drawer in my flat, but when i phoned janssen about some evorel I had on a hot windowsill, they said to discard them.
Will the evopak be safe to use?

Hurdity

Re: Question about oestrogen patches to ladies who have got patches from spain
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:11:42 PM »

Hi Dandelion - whereabouts in Spain was she - I doubt it would have been that temperature at the moment? Please don't worry - and the plane would not have been that hot either I doubt. It's not like it's the summer or even late autumn... Even if it were eg a degree or two above for a short while you might get a tiny bit of deterioration but not enough to even notice.  It is not at all a question of safety but potential degradation of the active ingredient estradiol. This is completely different from storing patches (or anything really apart from fruit you want to ripen or plants you want to grow!) on a hot window sill which is a no-no.

Do not fret and lucky she was able to get some for you in the circumstances :)

Hurdity x

Dandelion

Hot part of Spain, 40 deg C in summer, patches bought early September
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:16:39 PM »

Hi Dandelion - whereabouts in Spain was she - I doubt it would have been that temperature at the moment? Please don't worry - and the plane would not have been that hot either I doubt. It's not like it's the summer or even late autumn... Even if it were eg a degree or two above for a short while you might get a tiny bit of deterioration but not enough to even notice.  It is not at all a question of safety but potential degradation of the active ingredient estradiol. This is completely different from storing patches (or anything really apart from fruit you want to ripen or plants you want to grow!) on a hot window sill which is a no-no.

Do not fret and lucky she was able to get some for you in the circumstances :)

Hurdity x
Hi Hurdity
Thanks for your quick response.
Sorry my concern was about degradation not safety, i should have  made myself clear.
I don't know what part of Spain it is but it gets to 40 degrees C in August, and it was early September when she went, so, still Summer.
Also, don't know how she stored them when she got home and I cannot contact her.
My question should have been, Will these circumstances have degraded the patches?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »

Aha Dandelion - precision is everything when it comes to things like this - especially when the  name is wrong and I've been searching high and low for info on Evopak! It's Evopad!!!

I wonder what Spanish women do? Maybe put them in the fridge?

I presume you must be in contact for her to be sending them to you or giving them to you - so I would ask her by whatever means you can and find out how she stored them. if they have been abovr 25 deg for a prolonged periods of time then yes they may well have degraded - but maybe she would have realised that they should not overheat?

Fingers crossed eh? All the best :)

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »

Aha Dandelion - precision is everything when it comes to things like this - especially when the  name is wrong and I've been searching high and low for info on Evopak! It's Evopad!!!

I wonder what Spanish women do? Maybe put them in the fridge?

I presume you must be in contact for her to be sending them to you or giving them to you - so I would ask her by whatever means you can and find out how she stored them. if they have been abovr 25 deg for a prolonged periods of time then yes they may well have degraded - but maybe she would have realised that they should not overheat?

Fingers crossed eh? All the best :)

Hurdity x
Sorry for giving you the wrong name.
Hi I contacted her through my mum who is worried about me because of all my problems, so I don't think I will be able to find out.
I have two bottles of oestrogel I can use.
I hear that the oestrogel takes a few weeks to kick in though, and as oestrogen cancells out progesterone, it will effectively up my progesterone levels.
Sorry for the other question, does oestrogel take a few weeks to kick in for women new to hrt, or does it take a few weeks to kick in for women going from patches to gel?
Thanks

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »

Hi Dandelion

I don't recall Estrogel taking any time to kick in.  I switched from patch to gel and felt immediate relief of the palpitations the patches gave me x

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »

Hi Dandelion

I don't recall Estrogel taking any time to kick in.  I switched from patch to gel and felt immediate relief of the palpitations the patches gave me x
Thanks Annie, I have oestrodose, a post on here says it's not the same but another post on here says it is. I'm confused

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »

Hi Dandelion

Thanks Annie, I have oestrodose, a post on here says it's not the same but another post on here says it is. I'm confused

Don't overthink it, so many ladies tolerate it well, me included now, I can get itchy but nothing more develops so if I collect oestrodose as opposed to Oestrogel from the pharmacy I don't mind  any more, as an itchy back is better than not using anything x

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »

Hi Dandelion

Don't overthink it, so many ladies tolerate it well, me included now, I can get itchy but nothing more develops so if I collect oestrodose as opposed to Oestrogel from the pharmacy I don't mind  any more, as an itchy back is better than not using anything x
Hi Annie
Thanks, it's just that yellow card scheme and jeepers recent post this year on her problems that scared me.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »

Do not fret Dandelion. As yet we have no evidence that there is any problem with the gels. It's just that a few women seem to like to stick with whichever one they started on either Oestrodose or oestrogel - which are the same (manufactured by Besins) but packaged differently. The thing about the yelolow card scheme is for those women who feel certain they have an allergic reaction to any particular medication and of course there is always the manufacturer to write to. This info is just to guide women as to what steps to take if they feel this is the case ie allergic reaction or ununusual side effects that haven't been reported..

(Annie - have you written to the manufacturer with the batch number or someone can do it for you? It would be important to find out because Besins assure us they are manufactured by Besins at their EU factory from the same ingredients. I thought we covered all this  a year or two back?).

Dandelion - please don't look for problems where there are none - you will only make yourself unnecessarily anxious. You should still be able to get hold of patches - can you be put as a priority at your local pharmacy in view of your history?

Take care...

Hurdity x