Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estrogel dose  (Read 1122 times)

Clarekins

Estrogel dose
« on: December 14, 2019, 03:03:26 AM »

Hi ladies,

I've been using evorel 100 patches which have been good for me,  but due to shortage I've started using estrogel 80 mg pump pack for about the last week.
My joint and muscle pains are back with a vengeance.   I thought I was getting flu but just realised this is how I used to feel before my patch dose was increased.
I'm using 2 pumps, I'm not sure how this compares to my patch dose?
I much prefer patches I find the gel messy and takes ages to dry.
Anyway, can anyone help?  I can't face going back to gp again!   :bang:

Thankyou!!!!  :thankyou:

Bobidy

Re: Estrogel dose
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 03:59:16 AM »

Hi

The comparable dose for a 100 patch is 4 pumps of gel.

I split mine 2 pumps am and pm on inner thighs as opposed to outer arms. Some ladies do all pumps at once, but I think this would be a lot of gel to rub in at a time.

At this rate 1 canister will last you 2 weeks.

I spread 1 pump on each inner thigh, about the area of your hand, then (whilst sitting a bit like a frog) rub in simultaneously with each index finger for maybe 5 mins until dry. Then I just use a tissue to wipe each finger, flush it, and wash hands thoroughly. You can dress pretty much straight away then but I tend to leave it about 10 mins whilst cleaning my teeth etc. It takes about 2 hours to absorb into your system so avoid skin on skin contact with others.

It always needs to go onto clean skin, although at night I just pop it on over the top of the morning dose.

It is a bit of a faff but soon becomes routine. I understand the Sandera gel is much runnier and takes longer to rub in.

I increased my dose gradually but if you are used to 100 patch you should probably be able to use 4 pumps from the go get.

I hope your muscle and joint pains subside, this is my worst symptom so I quite literally feel your pain!

Good luck x

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 06:08:39 AM »

Hi the equivalent dose is 4 pumps .... Bobidy is right x

Clarekins

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:59:59 AM »

Thankyou so much ladies and Thankyou Bobidy for taking the time for such a detailed reply. I'll start with 4 from today.
I can't actually believe lack of oestrogen causes such muscle and joint pain, my knees were struggling with stairs and hands swollen and sore.
Fingers crossed!
Thanks again xx :foryou:

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 07:08:29 AM »

Hi I use 4 pumps every morning. 2 on each shoulder and outer arm. Rub it in and it dries very quickly. I thought it was a faff at first but now it's just part on my routine and very easy. Good luck xxx

Clarekins

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »

Thankyou dotty, it's so great to hear what others are doing and getting some tips xxx

Bobidy

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 07:55:07 AM »

You are welcome.

I hope you have recovered well from your hysterectomy, I had one this year too retaining ovaries x

Foxylady

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »

Hi ladies, I've been prescribed oestrogel now also due to the shortage in Everol patches. Have enough patches to do me for the next week then start the gel, feel slightly apprehensive but no choice as can't source Everol 75 patches anywhere & from what I read I'm probably fortunate to have been able to source them up until now. Hope the x4 pumps improves your symptoms Clarekins, I believe it's x3 pumps for me!! x

Bobidy

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 09:03:00 AM »

Hi

Yes 75 is equivalent to 3 pumps. I use 3 pumps so 1 canister lasts me approx 3 weeks.

I scribble the date I started the pump and the approx date it will be used up on the canister cap so I know what's left for when I go on hols or away for the weekend. X

Clarekins

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »

You are welcome.

I hope you have recovered well from your hysterectomy, I had one this year too retaining ovaries x
Hi bobidy,
I have finally recovered! It was a long slog I'd say it took 8 months really. I went back to work after 4 months. Felt under a lot of pressure as kept being told 6 weeks recovery, I thought I'd fly through it as was slim fit and healthy! I did have a lot of endometriosis too but definately underestimated the op and the menopause symptoms have been terrible, which you don't get informed about. Who would be a woman?! How did you find it?

Good luck foxylady. I'm in the same boat as you. Was happy with patches but no choice now.
That's a good tip about writing the date in the bottle! I will do that xx

:thankyou:

Bobidy

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »

Yes, I'm fully recovered now thank you, but the same as you it took over 12 weeks to get there.

I was in peri for a couple of years before but didn't realise it, and started hrt after the op. I'm just about there with that too but because I've kept my ovaries I'm getting fluctuations of my own hormones which isn't great.

Sammiejane

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »

hi clarkins

have they offered you progesterone too as you should really have this if you had endometriosis as estrogen can stimulate it to grow back !

Foxylady

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 07:10:23 PM »

Yes great tip Bobidy, was thinking about how I would judge when to get a repeat prescription. x