Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Tibolone advice please  (Read 1094 times)

renee

Tibolone advice please
« on: November 29, 2019, 09:58:12 AM »

Hello,

I have been on Tibolone 2.5mg for 3 years, I was getting on fine with it until about 6 months ago. I was experiencing signs of the dose being too high so my GP told me to take it every 2nd day as 2.5 is the lowest dose. Doing well on lower dose, recently I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and my joint pain and fatigue is also very bad, my GP suggested increasing Tibolone back to daily use about 7 weeks ago....this has helped my fatigue and joint pain but I now wake up every night covered in a cold sweat, I have to change my bedding etc. Because I was losing so much fluid I keep getting sore kidneys. Went back to GP and he did thorough blood work and they all came back normal. Can these night sweats be too high dose of Tibolone?

Thank you x

Hurdity

Re: Tibolone advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »

Hi renee

Sorry to hear about this. What blood tests did they do? The sweats could be the result of thyroid malfunction and do beware the "normal" comment as results can be within range but you still have symptoms. What was your FSH and T4 result? The fact that you have aches and pains and fatigue - sounds like thyroid - fibromylagia is a symdrome of symptoms with multiple causes - often not identfied and thyroid UK has a while section on fibro and thyroid. Please don;t be fobbed off and do pursue this. Also it could be that your dose is too low rather than too high because low oestrogen and low testosterone also can cause FMS. What were the signs the dose is too high? Also so you often feel cold?

Hurdity x

renee

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 11:15:18 AM »

Hi Huridity,

I had a private lab test which was more thorough for thyroid and it was normal, thyroxine is managing it well. I decreased the Tibolone due to breakthrough bleeding then was scanned and results were thickening of womb and a large polyp which has been tested and is normal. My doctor suggested increasing to daily dose of Tibolone suggesting it might help with joint pain and fatigue, which it has but now I'm left with night sweats, bit of a low mood and anxiety.

Thank you x

renee

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 12:11:20 PM »

Sorry forgot to add my blood tests were, glucose, full blood count, iron, B12 etc x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 08:25:56 PM »

Ah I see - thanks for letting us know - both that you already have a thyroid issue, as well as the problems with uterus on tibolone. Yes that can be a side effect of tibolone - the womb thickening. Could you try another HRT - a transdermal one (along with appropriate progestogen to protect the womb) and then that might resolve the fibromyalgia symptoms - as long as you keep on top of monitoring your thyroid once you change hRT? Also you could then tweak the oestrogen dose so the sweats are controlled ( as long as the Thyroid meds are optimal). It's pretty complex I gather and a bit of a juggling act until settled -  and I'm not an expert but there are others on here with thyroid treatment and hRT who should be able to advise better than I can!

Hurdity x