Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Still Hormonal After Menopause  (Read 764 times)

Machair

Still Hormonal After Menopause
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »

Can anyone describe their experiences after menopause who are not on HRT?

I know you can expect to see a reduction in symptoms after about 2 years so hopefully that is coming for me, I am still feeling like there is some kind of cycle going on with PMT type feelings every few months that don't lead to a bleed, and some days when I feel very hormonal even with increased vaginal mucus.  For me it does seem to be the end of periods but not the end of the hormonal shift itself. At 59 I guess I am lucky as to date I have no real symptoms of dryness or hot flashes.It is all getting less often so going in the right direction but still a lonely place! I think Phantom Periods are the way things are panning out- all the symptoms but no action!

I would be really interested if there are any women in their late fifties in my position as I once did a thread on this but I guess most ladies have now left the forum and moved on.

Dotty

Re: Still Hormonal After Menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »

Hi unfortunately my symptoms got a lot worse 3 years after my last period 😢 x

Machair

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »

Oh no Dotty really? What sort of symptoms- did you feel like periods were going to start ie PMT like feelings or do you mean vaginal dryness night sweats that sort of thing? Were you bad for all the three years or did things start up again after 3 years of calm?

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »

It's a bit of a long story 😢.

I was very ill in peri , aged 47 but docs didn't know what was wrong with me and I was diagnosed with ME / CFS. A diagnosis which I now believe to be wrong. After about 3 years I managed to get on a sort of even keel although I wasn't 100%. I suffered with night sweats and then hot flushes and had terrible aches and pains which I put down to old age!

Then at the age of 53 everything went haywire and all the old symptoms came back but were much worse .... horrific hot flushes, total exhaustion, constant nausea, insomnia , anxiety,..... the penny then dropped that my problems for the last 6 years had in fact all been due to menopause. I had my last period aged 50.

I've been in HRT for 2 years now and I'm doing well. X

Machair

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »

So glad you are doing well. I have ME/CFS and have had this for 25 years following an enterovirus related to polio.I was ill overnight- literally caught the virus and it caused so many symptoms as it attacked the autonomic nervous system.  I ended up in a cardiac ward. In my experience ME is a sudden onset and is diagnosed far too frequently without looking for other causes, especially when the onset is gradual.I became ill almost to the minute and never recovered.