Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: UK Benefits System ?  (Read 1517 times)

pants46

• Still Struggling
UK Benefits System ?
« on: October 22, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »

Hey everyone.
Does anyone know anything about our benefits system ?
If I quit my job through ill health, can I get support ?
How much ? and for how long ?
Can I quit, or do I have to get fired ?
How do I apply ?
I've never claimed any kind of benefit, so have no clue how it works.
Thanks for any help. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: UK Benefits System ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »

Maybe visit a Citizens Advice Bureau or Job Centre? 

Viwi

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »

Universal Credit - application you do online, in 1 week they invite you to Job Centre with required papers - they will list you what they want but usualy it's: NIN document, passport, 3 month bank statement, and papers from work - like P45/P60.
Here more info:
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »

Thanks ladies. x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »

I think it depends on whether you are claiming sick pay at the moment. I'm not sure you can leave your job and then claim benefits on the grounds of being unfit to work without first having had fit notes etc which prove your I'll health? Have you had time off sick which has been logged? I agree that citizens advice is a great place to start.

Taz x

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »

Taz2, yes, I've had time off sick and have copies of the sick notes from the Dr. And I'm off sick at the moment ... had a breakdown on Sunday.
Did look up info on citizens advice website and it is very complicated. Some is means tested, some is dependent on NI contributions, some is neither (but you have to be assessed).
How you are supposed to work this out for the first time, when what is going on in your head is not good, beats me.
I'm usually pretty smart  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:21:11 PM »

It is really difficult when you are already not well. I take it you've been signed off on long term sick leave? Do you get sick pay from your company? With mine I get six months full pay then six months half pay so claiming benefits wouldn't kick in for the first six months at least. Try citizens advice and make an appointment. They will guide you as to your options.

Taz x

clio

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 05:05:34 AM »

If you get finished on I'll health you can claim ESA untill you get your assessment, they will then tell you what category you come under. This is not means tested. If you go to your local office they will give you an appointment, at the appointment they ask about your circumstances and point you in the right direction. I'm in the process of all this, the people I've spoken to so far have been very nice. I thought they were going to look down there nose at me but no very pleasant and helpful. Clio

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 08:18:19 AM »

Hi pants46, good advice from Taz2 and clio and do not quit your job. Your employer has a duty of care and should be monitoring your absence, keeping in touch and eventially when you are up to it arranging for an Occupational Health assessment.  I know you feel now you just want to give it all up but in a couple of months you may feel different and you've nothing to loose by waiting. If you feel better then you will beable to have a phased return with amended hours and duties on full pay. If you dont feel well enough to return it is up to your emoloyer to terminate your employment on the grounds that you are not capable to do the job through ill health, the time for this will depend on your length of service, as Taz2's time is a year, this is usually the maximum. Then you will beable to claim benefits.

I hope you feel better soon but please dont make any hasty decisions, wait till your feeling better then decide whats best for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:37:33 AM by Dierdre »

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »

Hi Pants,you wil need medical evidence and I know in my area ESA has been stopped,and you get UC first and it's not easy to get ,and PIP is even harder
One of my sons was dismissed on medical grounds, and it took months to get any money, and PIP took him over a year