Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New member and looking for advice.  (Read 1155 times)

Tia56

• First Flush
New member and looking for advice.
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »

Hi, I'm new on here looking for some help.  I'm 51 and according to my doctor I'm in peri menopause. I've not had a period since April when I had a 2 week period which was incredibly heavy. In may I started having hot flushes so I went on menopace which stopped the hot flushes immediately. The only other symptoms I've had are weight gain and a bloated look in my tummy and stiff joints/aching bones. I went to see the gp about the bloating and arthritis in my fingers and she has advised me to start hrt patches. I'm on week one and have woke up this morning to bleeding. They have made me more tired than usual but I'm more concerned about the breast cancer risk. I'd be interested to know how other women have found hrt and if the benefits have outweighed the risks. As I have no other menopausal symptoms than those I mention, am I starting hrt too soon. None of my friends are on hrt and aren't planning too either. Any help, advice or past experiences would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: New member and looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:33:39 PM »

Hi Tia56  :welcomemm:

Glad you've found us...
It all depends really on how you cope with symptoms. Most of us on here have had really bad symptoms and hrt is the only thing that has made us feel more human again. For me, hrt has been a life saver, I suffered quite bad symptoms, and although it took a while to get the dosage right, and finding which one was best for me, I'd never stop taking it now. So the benefits for me totally outweigh the risks..
The risks for cancer are small, we all know about them, but quality of life is better than being a crumpled up, old feeling woman, who can't function at all, due to anxiety, sweats, depression, ect...oh the list goes on. So for many of us, who suffered a lot of the symptoms, we would never look back.
Like I say, it's how YOU cope with YOUR symptoms, we're all different....
The bleeding is to be expected at the start of any hrt, and it can also make you tired.
Hopefully someone will be along soon and give their spin on it...so you can make your decision.
Good luck, and plz let us know how your getting on...
Ask anything! Someone's always on to give advice....hope this helps....jd xx

Tia56

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »

Thankyou for replying. It will help me to hear others opinions. Yes I am very tired with the bleeding. I'm hoping this will improve quickly. Did you have weight gain with HRT ? Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:46:38 PM »

What cancer risk? 

We all use computers and have TVs/microwaves  ::)

:welcomemm: browse round.  Make notes.  Some ladies find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Some find alternatives [we have a room] helpful until their hormones take over.  Benefits certainly outweigh risks, it's about quality of life, surely?

Also do read the threads about vaginal atrophy!  Forewarned is forearmed after all and HRT for VA is different over over-all HRT ;-).