Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too old or too late for hrt?  (Read 5558 times)

sheila99

Re: Too old or too late for hrt?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 09:08:36 PM »

Hurdity I was questioning if research had been done on the safety of transdermal hrt in older women who haven't taken it before. Most of the safety studies I've seen seem to be either oral or any but not specifically transdermal.

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »

Hmm - not sure about that sheila99.

The 2016 BMS/Women's Health Concern gives some info with lots of refs (I don't have time to look at them!) and discussion about stroke, cardio-vascular health and HRT and says this:

"Evidence from large observational studies has shown that transdermal administration of estradiol is unlikely to increase the risk of stroke above that in non-users and is associated with a lower risk of stroke compared with oral administration of estradiol."

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369116680501

As I expect you know observational studies are not the same as trials so you may well be right ie that there haven't been any specific research trials into this. Maybe someone who has time to delve into the literature can enlighten us but I woild have thought that if something has been published it wold be in that paper - unless something new in the last 3 years?

Hurdity x

KatyB

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »

Interesting reading and imo no surprise. If only the doctors would read it too...

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »

Interesting article.  Thx.
Pages: 1 [2]