Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie seeking advice please  (Read 953 times)

SuffolkLou

Newbie seeking advice please
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:57:48 PM »

Hi there,
I am new to this site, it was recommended to me.
My main issues are insomnia, hot flushes, irritability, sense of overwhelm, fatigue, painful sex.
I have been trying all sorts of things rather than HRT, namely;
healthy diet, exercises. oils, magnesium, Evening primrose oil, herbs, acupuncture,
But today after another bad nights sleep, rang in sick, booked a GP appointment, got prescribed Kliovance, took one look at all the side effects, the everyday ones rather than the breast cancer ones and thought this is going to make my existing high levels of anxiety worse.
I have had anxiety / low mood all my adult life.
The reason Klivance was prescribed was partly because I cannot swallow capsules, to be honest i struggle with tiny tablets, not quite a year without periods but almost there, say 11 months,
I am not sure whether to seek a private gynae consultant opinion, the GP consultation was so short and perfunctary.
Any thoughts, advice gratefully received, thanks for reading.

Focus

Re: Newbie seeking advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »

Hello

Long time insomnia and anxiety sufferer (in my previous life, before all of this hit).

One of the best things I found for insomnia (and anxiety) was to put a guided meditation on YouTube if I woke up during the middle of the night. A lot of the time I'd fall asleep before the end of the meditation.

A progressive Muscle Relaxation one has always been a good one for me. Plenty in YouTube, just find someone who's voice you like and I tend to go for the half hour/45 minute long ones.

Hope that helps.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »

Perhaps try transdermal hrt, there's no need to swallow a pill at all. And BC risk is less. Have a look at the vaginal atrophy threads, this needs to be treated properly before it gets worse.

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »

I'd agree with Sheila about the pills...patches or gel will stop any issues you have with swallowing stuff.  Everything they give us on the planet is "could have", "my have" side effects but if your symptoms are bothering you enough to want to stop them then you are going to have to do something to stop them and that may mean hrt of some kind.  It's all about quality of life.  Anxiety of all kinds can get much worse in meno and it can start and escalate quickly in meno even if you didn't have it before, its a nasty feature I'm afraid.

I had anxiety and low mood all my life and it spiralled into me being nearly certifiable but my hrt has stopped almost all of it and even helped stuff I suffered from before meno.  Homones have a huge part to play throughout women's lives.  One thing I will say is that different things work for different people, there is no level playing field or perfect regime, it is all trial and error with types of hrt.  You have to jump in the pool, start with something and see how it works for you. If its not working change it and try that. xx