Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Star flower oil  (Read 4660 times)

ptsheldon

Star flower oil
« on: October 10, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »

Hi would like some advice re taking this oil, I see its been mentioned on here and a friend has also recommended taking it. What dosage should you start taking it at and for how long?
Can you then reduce the dosage?
Many thanks for any help  ;)

bear

Re: Star flower oil
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »

Hi ptsheldon,

What exactly do you expect to achieve by taking it? What symptoms do you want to tackle?

BeaR.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »

Hi there - as a result of it being mentioned on here I bought some (at great expense) some years ago - I think it was hair and skin which was supposed to benefit? Can't remember now. It made not the slightest bit of difference to me - already on HRT, and I also swig pure cod liver oil now and again in winter. I just bought it from good old  H and B and took whatever it said! There are other dietary measures (and maybe supplements?) that surely do the same job but cheaper? I didn't even finish the bottle (what a waste!). It won't do you any harm though and may have some benefits - sorry - I don't know?!

Hurdity  x

AgathaC

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »

Starflower Oil = Borage Oil.
I take 1500 mg per day which I get from Holland & Barrett. 120 days worth costs me about £20, I think.
It contains Gamma Linolenic Acid which is the same stuff as in Evening Primrose Oil but more concentrated.
It is supposed to help regulate hormonal activity. Recommended to me by a breast consultant for my hormonally sore boobs.
He said to take it every single day without fail in order to get some relief x

ptsheldon

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:53:18 AM »

Hi
Thanks for the info, I'm told it helps with the sweats and moods?!
 :-\

marge

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »

Years ago, I took Evening Primrose Capsules for hormonal breast pain and it worked a treat.  At the time it was prescribed by my GP, but they can't do that any more.

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »

A lot of people do seem to benefit, however it really didn't suit me and made me feel queasy.

Like everything you have to try it to find out.

bear

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

Years ago, I took Evening Primrose Capsules for hormonal breast pain and it worked a treat.  At the time it was prescribed by my GP, but they can't do that any more.

Hi marge,

Same here.

BeaR.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »

I posted yesterday also about this - I was prescribed EPO similarly to you and bear though not sure it worked though - they ended up going out of date in the cupboard - mine was definitely hormonal.

Here is the info I posted yesterday about  EPO and breast pain (EPO and starfloweroil are supposed to be similar in that they contain GLA - gammalinoleic acid): https://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/services/breast_unit/common_problems/mastalgia.asp?menu_id=12

Yes (EPO) used to be prescribed on NHS for breast pain  but then NHS removed authorisation due to lack of clinical evidence proving efficacy. Nevertheless as it says on here: "Clinical studies have failed to prove its effectiveness conclusively and some experts feel that it is no more effective than a placebo. However, it is a harmless and well tolerated drug and has few side effects so that it is a quite reasonable step to take in the first instance to see if benefit can be achieved." .

I doubt it will help with sweats and moods?  :-\ However it won't do any harm so if you want to try it - why not?!

Hurdity x