Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Extending the time I wear a patch  (Read 773 times)

Jellyb

Extending the time I wear a patch
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:49:12 AM »

Hi
Not been on here for a couple of years, so hello to anyone who remembers me!

So, what with the shortage of patches and all, I counted up my supply of Evorel Conti.  I usually cut my patch in half and change on a Saturday & Wednesday.  If I do that, I have enough "stock" to last me until the end of January.

However, with the media saying that it could be mid-year before stocks return to normal, I have been experimenting with trying to make half a patch last the full 7 days.  By the time I get to Thur/Fri I have been feeling very low and tearful.  Not sure if that is related to my experiment or just down to things going on in general.  I haven't had any other side-effects - no hot flushes, etc, just the emotional side.

Has anyone else tried this in the past?  What was your experience?  Am I doing myself harm by taking this approach?

Any info/observations appreciated.

Thanks.

KiltedCupid

Re: Extending the time I wear a patch
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:55:31 PM »

Hi jellyb - it's related to your experiment. I'm a long term hrt user (8 years) and have struggled with transdermals for the past 2/3. Gels peak and dip quickly with me and I've found patches give the most stable dose although figuring out the right dose ain't easy! My past experience of reducing doses of patches left me with the symptoms you're discovering. I'd stick to a dose that maintains stability for you. If you're havung difficulty getting patches, they're still available online as I got a box of estraderm recently no problem.

They are the size of Canada though!

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »

Hi,
Yes, i've Been trying this. I have a looooong story of swapping and changing HRT, battles with using patches as well as pills- GP needs ‘persuading ‘ to prescribe more patches- although did buy some in Egypt 👹 but I have to ‘control the stock'
What i've Been doing recently is changing my evorel every 4 days instead of 3 then 4 (using up the full patch.... my strange logic) I left it on for 6 days once (forgot) and started to feel ropey (MH & night sweats)
So for me seems , at the moment max of 4-5 days.
I am okay with it-what harm can it do, we know how we feel when it needs changing.

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »

I'd stick to the 3.5 day rule with patches for stability.
Oestrogel was available at my pharmacy for when i run out of patches, can you ask you pharmacist is oestrogel is in stock?

Jellyb

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 02:29:08 PM »

Thanks all.  I still have my womb but no ovaries, so not sure what other options are available to me.
Been through all the trial & error stuff before - didn't enjoy all of that (rage/sadness/mood swings) so would rather not have to try something else if I can help it.
I'll carry on with this experiment for a few more weeks and see how I get on.

Rhiner

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »

Hi JellyB,

I extended my estrodot patches from 3.5 to just 4 days and after the third patch/time of doing this , I could feel a difference, jelly legs, a bit low. I like you have no ovaries, so I guess any reserves get used up quicker.
Keep us posted.
Rhiner