Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Pigmentation, does it ever go away?  (Read 935 times)

Seven8Nine

Pigmentation, does it ever go away?
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »

Hi, I'm 48 and have been peri menopausal for the last 3 years, the last 2 years I have struggled with patches of pigmentation on my upper cheeks. It's so annoying, I have tried nearly everything to remove them with no avail although after much trying, I do manage to keep it under control, as in not spreading!

Question is, will the pigmentation ever go away?

Thanks

AgathaC

Re: Pigmentation, does it ever go away?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:42:30 PM »

Same for me. I'm 47. Peri for 3/4 years. Had the patches on my upper cheeks checked out. It's our age. I've got used to it. I wear sunscreen all the time. And I use a bronzer to even it out. I don't think they will go away. One thing: I notice mine more than e.g. my husband does. So try and forget them if you can. I bet your friends and family don't notice them. Are you fair skinned? X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »

Age spots?  Back of the hands, I have large ones on my face ......... DH has them too.

Seven8Nine

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 05:53:14 AM »

CKLD, Yes age spots. 😢

AgathaC, I guess others don't have to worry about it on their faces ☹️ I  hope someone maybe older than us will come back and say it will go away! I wear (anti dark spot)  sunscreen all the time too.

Thanks ladies

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »

Sorry I didn't answer the question and no, don't think that they do go. 

TwoCakes

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »

Hi all, I noticed dark brown patches on my forehead in my early forties. They were only noticeable once we saw more sun. Since being on HRT which I started in my late forties the patches have never reappeared. I have no idea what there were or what caused them and it could be coincidence that they disappeared with hrt, or perhaps not!

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »

This can be linked with hormonal medication  - BCP or HRT.  I know it as chloasma, but also called melasma.  I have a patch on my chin which developed in my 50s when I began systemic HRT.  Another appeared later, right on the tip of my nose!  I stopped HRT for 15 months or so & the nose patch went away but the chin patch remains & I am now back on HRT, so don't expect it to go away.  I am fair skinned so it's obvious to me, but no-one else has commented, though OH admitted he could see it when I asked.  I don't wear makeup other than a light lipstick & don't intend to start soon, as I don't like the feel of it on my face & am otherwise happy with my complexion.  Advice is to keep covered with sunscreen to prevent worsening/more appearing.  I wear Clinique factor 50 facial sunscreen under moisturiser year round.  Hope the link works - doesn't appear live as I'm typing this.

http://www.bad.org.uk/for-the-public/patient-information-leaflets/melasma/'showmore=1&returnlink=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bad.org.uk%2Ffor-the-public%2Fpatient-information-leaflets#.XXOP3yrPziw

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 11:33:34 AM »

hi all
Not sure how relevant or similar they are but i am , and always have been been plastered in freckles- everywhere..... my face especially.
They were more 'pronounced' when i was pregnant and certainly since HRT  So defo a hormonal factor with pigmentation. My mum who used to tan very dark, since meno does not go as dark anymore.
Solutions- mmmm.  I like my frecks, so never bothered to reduce/hide. THere are certainly urban ledgends about cucumber fading age spots/pigmentation.
I have no doubt there are treatments out there that fade pigments...... at a price....funny that.
But stopping them coming, well , not really . sun blocks, concealers and stopping Hrt will probably help reduce the  pigmentation but no way woudl i do that- love my hrt.