Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does anybody have breathing problems?  (Read 8719 times)

RebJT

Re: Does anybody have breathing problems?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 05:53:47 AM »

I'm having this issue, and been having it every month at day 14 and day 28 for nearly ten years (since they took my thyroid out), and then in the 12 days I was on estrogel it went off the charts (last day resting heart rate 120, and my face and lips went numb, and my entire body was shaking, including my vision!!).  Suffice to say I stopped, but still trembling like a leaf days later.

I'm fairly certain it's estrogen mediated mast cell over activation, and it seems I'm not alone, lots of women get this.  For me it's caused by, I am fairly sure, peri surges of estrogen.

It's also connected to methylation in ways I don't understand but estrogen is a methyl donor (as is betaine, stomach acid), and the biochemical pathways are too complex for me, but this is connected to methylhistamine.  I have that MTHFR defect which means I have issues tolerating certain B vits and folate.

All the other women I'm talking to about this also have thyroid issues.  I'm due to speak to my func med doc, as she think she knows what's happening, so once I know I'll report back.  I'm also due to speak to an immunology clinic, as these are the symptoms that prompted me to seek gynae help in the first place, as they are so cyclical it HAS to be my sex hormones.

However, I can confidently say I have NEVER felt so ill as I did taking estrogen, and it does beg teh question why my gynae gave it to me when my blood tests said my E was 300 points over the top of the range at nearly 1,600!!!  I appreciate that hormones swing in peri, but I find it hard to believe that doctors haven't come across this before.

Sparrow

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »

I get a slight, intermittent cough which I have almost everyday.  I did wonder what was going on but when we went to Norway for a week it went completely. I have now come to the conclusion that it is caused by pollution and is probably slight asthma.  I'll keep an eye on it and only bother the doctor is it gets worse. 

Not all are ailments are meno related and things like asthma can appear later in life anyway. 

Jules53

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »

Rebut

Did your doctor test your MTHFR levels or did the consultant do it? I had half my thyroid removed last November and have had problems with shortness of breath since then.

I'm not on HRT and am 3 years into menopause.

Thanks

RebJT

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »

Hi, no, it's one of the things flagged on thyroid forums if all the usual tricks to get your 'ducks in a row' still leave you feeling sub parr.  I had my genome mapped which shows your genetic 'SNPs', and then you need to do a whole raft of organic acid and nutritional marker tests to work out which pathway is doing what, and which SNPs are expressing, so that you add the right supplements in the right order.  I had my entire thyroid removed, it's been hellish and anyone in the same boat has my sympathies.

Although, my life changed immeasurably when I switched from synthetic levo (and then levo + T3) to natural dessicated thyroid, it was like going from night to day.  Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat.

I don't get shortness of breath, I get a flood of histamine, I get a rash, and I feel 'buzzy' and jittery, my heart goes too fast and I get digestive issues, react to food, it's really like being 'eaten alive by a million ants' it's hard to describe and then it disappears again til day 14 and 28 roll around again.  But this coincides with points in my cycle when my own prog should be opposing my E, but isn't, as I appear to now be anovulatory.  There is much quackery written about estrogen dominance (as an entire theory I'd agree) but it does seem to be a thing in peri women.  I'm wondering whether at this point in my meno journey I just need P and T, and no E, or whether there's some way to mimic my own cycle, rather than piling in more E every day.

I'd say if you have thyroid issues, getting all that optimal first is probably key, otherwise you won't be able to see the wood for the trees?

Pages: 1 [2]