Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Philomena  (Read 5237 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Philomena
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 04:55:55 PM »

I cried and was angry whilst reading the book  :'(.  I can't stand Steve Cooghan so didn't watch the film

jaycee

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »

I' not keen on Steve Coogan really, but of course totally different in this film, i didn't cry at it last night,i expect because i have seen it a few times, just felt really sad at how Philomena was treated, and sad for all he other young mothers who lost their babies in one way or another, and the wickedness of the nuns,

jaypo

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »

In the past Coogan has been very one dimensional as an actor but in my opinion he excelled in this role

jaycee

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »

CLKD, i'm not saying there is anything wrong with an all female household in general, but two males [2 dads] or 2 females [2 mums] i think must be confusing, and not seem normal to a child who has a mum and dad,even if they live apart,and sees other children with a mum ans dad

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 08:51:39 PM »

It's odd to us but if a child is raised thus, probably not.  How many parents remain together in this day and age, now that's odd to children growing up in 2019.  It's about honesty.

jaypo

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »

There are children out there who have heterosexual parents and are neglected,beaten and abused
If they are loved I don't care if they have same sex parents

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »

There are children out there who have heterosexual parents and are neglected,beaten and abused
If they are loved I don't care if they have same sex parents

There was the gay man sent to prison not long ago for murdering his adopted baby daughter and the two gay women both sent to prison for neglecting and then killing their son. 

there is no guarantee that any child is free from abuse or worse whatever their parentage. 

I still feel that children have rights too and this is storing up problems for when they are older and understand what their parents have told them. 

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »

It's about education.  As well as parents being truthful - my Mum certainly wasn't and still isn't at times  :'( which makes it wholly difficult to make sense of my childhood.  She didn't allow Dad to build a relationship with me  :'(  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 07:53:05 AM »

Oh I totally agree penny,abuse is abuse, all I'm saying is if the child is loved and cared for surely that's a plus.In the very near future nobody is going to care less if you're gay,straight,bi,or trans,children are resilient.
My daughter has a brilliant t shirt it says
Why say something racist,homophibic or sexist when you can say nothing at all 😊
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:18:24 AM by jaypo »

jaycee

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 08:42:20 AM »

CLKD my mum wasn't truthful with me either, she was married before so i had a half sister and a half brother, but i was told their father was my father, and i sometimes went to stay with them, but i couldn't understand why their father didn't acknowledge me as his
I didn't find out who my real father was until i was in my mid forties,and that was only because my [half] sister sent for my original birth certificate, and what a mix up it was, my mum had mixed her first husbands name and job up
When i faced her with my real birth certificate, she cried and said she thwith my real fathers, but put first husbands name as my father
My sister was sick of the lies and thought i should know the truth, she did this i believe out of spite as it turned out my mother had left her and my brother with their father and gone off with a soldier stationed at a base nearby
My mother had told me she was having me when she left, but i now kow it was 2 years after she left
When i faced her with the real birth certificate she said" i thought you wouldn't want to know me"
After all those years of being lied to and  i knew it was a lie, i had held it against her,
I told her i would rather i had known the truth because i knew it was a lie, and i know it was during the war, and these things happen,
I told her i forgave her, but she should have trusted me to understand, so a lot of wasted years,because i  had hostile to her
At least we made up before she died, a few years later
Another lie or maybe a misunderstanding i think.my eldest son at 8 years old wanted to go and live with his dad,[i was divorced by then] so i said ok but you can come back whenever you like ,thinking he would soon get fed up,
Anyway a few years later after i married again he asked to come back, my second husband said no, he wasn't even good to my other 2
Apparently my mother had told my son years later, that i didn't want him and sent him to his father,
My eldest son has finished all contact with me now,after a lot of years  of asking me why he couldn't come back,and wont believe the truth, as he said why would an old lady lie
I realise that 8 years old was too young to make that decision and doesn't now remember, but always intended that he could come back to me
Very sorr for the long post and my life story. well half of it anyway,
I think i could write a book, lol :(

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »

'best for the children'  >:(

I suppose we all want to be valued.  So anything shameful, if it can be hidden, is hidden - 'be sure your Sins will find you out' was Mum's maxim ....... it makes me wonder the more I find out about her!

Did U stay with your 2nd husband?  R U able to keep communication open with your son, maybe via an intermediary?  In time he may mature enough to find out and accept the truth.  It is never too late ....... perhaps if you write 'the book' it might bridge gaps?   :hug:

Love the T-shirt jaypo ...........

jaycee

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »

No i didn't stay with my second husband he was as bad as the first only in a different way, violent and abusive, never gave me any  money except enough ,just, for food daily, and when i got a part time job, at night ,as i had baby twins [and the first 2 children], he tried to take that  money off me as well, refused to buy my children Christmas presents as he said they were mine, not his,
Not a good picker of men obviously,s name so got very little abusive to them too, which is why i left, everything was in his name, so got very little from the house, just enough to buy second hand furniture, after i rented a house
My eldest son 's second wife rang me and said he want's nothing to do with you, anymore, his sons don't bother with me either,
I only know he lives [or did] in Basingstoke ,where his second wife [an ex Jehovas witness] is from, he should be mature enough, he is 49 now, last time i saw  him was about 10 years ago

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »

Maybe she is trying to control the situation.  Particularly with her religious leanings. 

You managed to move on  :medal:

Foxylady

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 05:18:26 PM »

Family situations are so difficult & until people understand what has gone on (usually for years) they can't understand the pain it brings, to seperate from family sometimes it is the best thing! But it is never easy. People can be quick to judge. You can choose your friends but not your family, unfortunately. x

jaycee

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 05:28:15 PM »

There is nothing i can do, so just accept things as they are, he is old enough to understand that my mother was in her 80s when she said that, i am not going to try and beg even if i found out where he lives, he is stubborn and believes what he want,
 so que sera,the door will always be open if he changes his mind
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:31:07 PM by jaycee »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4