Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Endometrial resection  (Read 1345 times)

Stargazer

Endometrial resection
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »

Hi, I had an endometrial ablation last year didn't work and blood loss has been as severe.  They put in a copper coil at the time to and I ended up in hospital with the bleeding.  I can't do the Mirena coil as all hormones therapies seem to make me depressed. 

I am 52 years old and recently went for 62 days without a period followed by a very heavy period and then another 2 weeks later.  I have been left weak and drained. The local Chemist gave me some iron tablets and I am due to see my Gynaecologist next week.  In our last appointment she mentioned an endometrial resection if problems continued, but is it worth it when menopause is so near?  what would you do??

Taz2

Re: Endometrial resection
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:08:08 AM »

Hi Stargazer. I'm sorry that the ablation didn't work as well as it should. As you are only 52 then I would definitely consider the resection. You may have years yet of periods as I was 51 when mine began going months between them followed by two close together and two years later it was still happening. I went on to HRT then which calmed things down but I see that you are not keen on this due to the way hormones make you feel. Nobody knows quite how long their periods will go on for and there are ladies on here who are still experiencing them in their late fifties.

I see that the chemist has given you iron tablets but do you definitely know that you are low on iron? You should really have a blood test to see where you are as not everyone becomes anaemic with heavy periods.

Taz x  :hug:

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »

Hi stargazer,ablation didn't work for me either but I had fibroids,did they say you had any? I eventually had a vaginal hysterectomy but with ovaries left,my life changed completely,new woman,iron tablets are not great if you are anaemic but as taz said a simple blood test from gp will tell you & the dr will probably prescribe ferrous sulphate,are you breathless at all?Thats what I noticed and I WAS anaemic

Stargazer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »

Hi Jaypo thank you for your reply - I do have a few very small sub fibroids which probably don't help the situation. The Chemist did give me Ferrous Sulphate but I do understand a blood test would be a good idea.  I get dizzy and feel very tired during and after periods.  I have had blood tests before for anaemia and it has showed I was not clinically anaemic (but the GP said because I have quite high levels of Hb normally which was lowered by the bleeding but did not put me in an anaemic state) but to my body there would have been a loss and lethargy as a result!!

Taz2 thank you for your advice.  So the mad cycles long and short are not the very end of the perimenopause but could be the start of a couple of years of more heavy bleeding?  HRT as you say is not an option for me though it was good that it helped you.

Do you know other people who have had an endometrial resection done and was it successful please?  When I was admitted to hospital I was given an injection of Prostap which put me in a temporary menopause and my did my energy improve for the 6 months it lasted only to be dashed on the return of my cycle. 

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:49:24 PM »

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who has had it done but there is info online if you search.

How many types of HRT have you tried as it takes a while to find the right one? Its good that you tolerated Prostap as lots of women do have problems with it.

Taz x