Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mirena Coil  (Read 2760 times)

Tracey E

Mirena Coil
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:58:58 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of having a Mirena coil fitted as I just can't get on with Utrogestan and seem to be tolerant to  Levonorgestrel and was wondering about the side effects of this coil before I proceed to get it fitted. I am also currently applying Estrogel gel too. Thanks.

Beccascat

Re: Mirena Coil
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »

Hi there
I had a merina fitted 3 months ago and also have an evorel 50 patch. I was very nervous about possible side effects but luckily haven't had any  ::)

It's great as there's no more monthly bleeds (was on a sequi regime tho post meno now at 51) - a recommendation for the merina from me!

shally0318

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »

I have had two first time it was great and stopped my very heavy bleeds. Takes about 6 months to settle but after that great.
2nd one expelled itself but found out my womb is retroverted so have just had an edometrial ablation.
Give it a go it is worth a try.

LouLou

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »

Hi Tracey,
I'm interested in this - as I have been told today by my GP that I need to stop taking HRT, due to continuous bleeding, which I've had for the last 16 days.
A friend has suggested a mirena coil - I understand this releases progesterone only, so do you also have to take oestrogen too (if you still have a womb)?

Tracey E

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »

Hi Tracey,
I'm interested in this - as I have been told today by my GP that I need to stop taking HRT, due to continuous bleeding, which I've had for the last 16 days.
A friend has suggested a mirena coil - I understand this releases progesterone only, so do you also have to take oestrogen too (if you still have a womb)?

Hi Lou, yes you do, I'm seriously considering getting one fitted as Utrogestan makes me feel to unwell.

Peripurple

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:44:09 PM »

Hi Tracey, I have had my mirena for the prog part of HRT after trying several other regimes and having heavy bleeding.  I have had it for 2 months.  In the first  few weeks I experienced overwhelming tiredness and low mood, the GP said this can happen but should pass.  I stuck it out and now feel much better, just wish I'd known this could happen I was really worried.  My bleeding has already reduced  :) and have now introduced 1 pump of estrogel, hopefully this will be right regime.  Good luck with whatever you decide

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »

I couldn't get on with the Utrogestan and got a Mirena fitted, at that time i was one year post meno. I had daily spotting for the first 4.5 months but no other side effects so really pleased i went for it, will get it replaced when its due. I use Estrogel, three pumps a day.

Tracey E

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »

I couldn't get on with the Utrogestan and got a Mirena fitted, at that time i was one year post meno. I had daily spotting for the first 4.5 months but no other side effects so really pleased i went for it, will get it replaced when its due. I use Estrogel, three pumps a day.
[/quote

Are you still spotting Tinkerbell, or has it all settled down now?

Tracey E

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 07:53:14 PM »

Hi there
I had a merina fitted 3 months ago and also have an evorel 50 patch. I was very nervous about possible side effects but luckily haven't had any  ::)

It's great as there's no more monthly bleeds (was on a sequi regime tho post meno now at 51) - a recommendation for the merina from me!

Thanks, I was hoping for a few positives..

Tracey E

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »

Hi Tracey, I have had my mirena for the prog part of HRT after trying several other regimes and having heavy bleeding.  I have had it for 2 months.  In the first  few weeks I experienced overwhelming tiredness and low mood, the GP said this can happen but should pass.  I stuck it out and now feel much better, just wish I'd known this could happen I was really worried.  My bleeding has already reduced  :) and have now introduced 1 pump of estrogel, hopefully this will be right regime.  Good luck with whatever you decide

How long before you felt like yourself again?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »

Haven't had any spotting since it stopped after the 4.5 months and i have now had the Mirena for just over three years.

Tracey E

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 06:46:38 AM »

Haven't had any spotting since it stopped after the 4.5 months and i have now had the Mirena for just over three years.

Tinker bell did you have any hair loss?

Cacarosa

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »

For me Mirena was an absolute hell. My heavy bleedings got worse, had awful cramps and then it punctured my cervix. Insertion was also very painful and had me bleeding for a month.

About the levonorgestrel in it, personally I didn't noticed anything at all.

But it seems that most people are satisfied on Mirena so perhaps its good for you.

I'd advice you to be prepared for a painful insertion. I took a large dose of analgesics before the procedure but it didn't helped.

helen63

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »

I've had 2 mirena coils now and they are great. I was bleeding on Evorel conti patches so doctor suggested changing to Mirena coil and evorel patches. Insertion was a bit tricky and painful but only lasted a short while. Now no bleeding at all and no side effects, can forget about it. However I've just changed from Evorel 50 to Evorel 75 patches and they are a much bigger patch and having trouble stopping them from coming unstuck at the edges and wrinkling. Going to try sticking something over the patch too keep it on.

Tracey E

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »

For me Mirena was an absolute hell. My heavy bleedings got worse, had awful cramps and then it punctured my cervix. Insertion was also very painful and had me bleeding for a month.

About the levonorgestrel in it, personally I didn't noticed anything at all.

But it seems that most people are satisfied on Mirena so perhaps its good for you.

I'd advice you to be prepared for a painful insertion. I took a large dose of analgesics before the procedure but it didn't helped.

Crikey not good, :( what do you take now?
Pages: [1] 2