Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Alternatives to HRT  (Read 1978 times)

tracysturgess

Alternatives to HRT
« on: June 17, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »

Hi just joined the forum looking for some suggestions for coping with hot flushes,night sweats and basically my get up and go has got up and gone.  I have tried 2 different types of HRT but they haven't worked for me, so now just started taking menopause plus hoping that this route will help me better cope with the symptoms.  Thank you in advance for any help that comes my way   

jaypo

Re: Alternatives to HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:10:49 PM »

Think I've tried everything for hot flushes Tracy,none really worked,what I can say is buy yourself a good quality hand held fan,the ones that have 3 settings,if I catch a flush before it gets hold I find that's been the best way of controlling them,also a fan by the bed,couldn't live without mine.
Oh & welcome to the forum 😊

Wobbles

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »

Hello and welcome  :)

I second the fan in the bedroom suggestion. My partner is like a furnace which doesn't help! I'd also recommend you keep hydrated as much as you can without drinking too much water before bed. Night sweats can make us dehydrated which just leads to tiredness, headaches and feeling yuk.

Grandmafrancis62

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:58:43 PM »

My Dr recently told me that a low does of anti-depressants (two kinds) are good for sweats. He said they are unsure how the meds work.

I have not been offered them yet, he wants me to try alternatives to HRT first. Ive been taking Rhodiola Rosea for the past three weeks, although a break this week due to other things taking over. Let's see how they work. So far there is no change. Got to say I have tried most things.

I agree, catch the sweat before it takes over and this seems to reduce the intensity.

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »

grandmafrancis62 I was started on Fluoxetine (AD) by my GP to help with sweats whilst he looked into HRT options for me, by the end of the week I was on HRT patches. My sweats definately improved on the Fluoxetine (still taking it, started 4 months ago roughly) and the HRT, this has then helped my sleep as I am not wakening flushing sweating like I was for 3 years!!

Foxylady

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »

Hi Jari, Fluoxetine 20mg (once a day). I would say it took around a week before I started noticing improvement in the sweats. Interestingly enough I didn't ever feel depressed, however I know I didn't feel my usual self but put it down to 3 years of nightmare symptoms, going round about the houses to get a diagnosis. But I definatley felt almost a surge of energy that first weekend (I started on a Monday) - I ran about the house like a duracell bunny doing housework - OH wondering what on earth was going on. OH summed it up quite well, hadn't thought it myself until he said but he described my mood as being flat (not emotional/teary or angry, I know some women can be either I was almost unemotional). Sorry I'm rambling...I started first HRT (Everol Sequi) the Friday after starting the Fluoxetine so probably a combination of both later on got rid of the majority of the hot flushes, although didn't improve my sleep and brain fog etc as hoped - changed to Everol 75mcg & Provera 5mg daily (been on it a month &this last 2 weeks I have slept consistently well and feel even more energised & like my old self).