Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is 2 pumps oestrogel too high?  (Read 1378 times)

vintagefiend

Is 2 pumps oestrogel too high?
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:04:59 PM »

Hello,

I'm 47
I've been rather inconsistent with my HRT use over the last few years and didn't believe that it would ever really work for me- this may well have been due to the fluctuations of my own perimeno hormones muddying the waters.

Now I'm pretty much fully menopausal- no detectable oestrogen whatsoever/FSH sky high!

4 days ago I was in such a black hole that, in desperation, I tried oestrogel 2 pumps.
Based on previous experience I doubted that it would work, suspecting that it would either make me worse or no better!
I couldn't believe it when the horrible blackness lifted within a few hours of application; this was definitely no placebo effect and the first time that HRT had actually worked for me!
I was elated!

But now it's day 4 and I'm shattered. I wake up feeling somewhat depressed, I apply the oestrogel which maybe lifts my mood slightly, but not hugely, and I feel shattered and shabby.
Have I started with too high a dose?- I'm small, so maybe that makes a difference.
Or is this just standard and I need to grin and bear it given that it's day 4!
Do I just need to get used to it? Is the effect cumulative?
I haven't started the progestogen part yet- so this is all oestrogen/oestradiol.

I certainly don't want to give up on it... A) because it worked initially and, B) because the alternative is a grinding depression which is not responding well to antidepressants.

Any words of wisdom and encouragement greatly appreciated!
NB My testosterone also super-low 0.1 - out of range/barely detectable so I feel I have been running on empty!

Dotty

Re: Is 2 pumps oestrogel too high?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »

Hi you need to give any new hrt 3 months to see if it's working properly for you x

vintagefiend

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »

thanks dotty-
you're right, of course- and day 4 is far too early to assess- i think its cos i felt so good (well, normal) after one application that i want that feeling back...now!
i can barely keep my eyes open feel so shattered!
patience is key, i guess  :)

kdee69

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »

I'd definitely agree with Dotty. 4 days is no time at all to see a consistent difference. I've been on Oestrogel for exactly three months now and it was literally last week that I realised how “stable” I was feeling. I definitely felt better straight away but the overall feeling of being “well” has taken three months. Before then, it was more of a rocky road. Still 💯 % better than before but now I feel stable.

vintagefiend

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 01:07:49 PM »

oh wow, thanks Kaydee!
that's what i want to hear- i don't mind it taking 3 months if i'm reasonably confident it's going to work.
i guess i'm just a bit surprised that it worked for an evening and by the following day it just wasn't as good!
i'm finding the slightest thing an absolute chore- writing this post/going to the loo/getting a glass of water.
 luckily my partner will collect kids from school as i really can't put one foot in front of another!
but if it's grist to the mill then i don't mind at all and i'm def not as depressed so it's doing something :)

vintagefiend

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »

Hey Birdy,

thanks for responding and for being a bit of a cheerleader for hrt! i honestly didnt think it would work for me (thought i was somehow different) and, while i'm not exactly running around yet, the fact that it's definitely improved my mood is nothing short of miraculous!
i was more down this morning when i started this thread and my mood has improved since then- so, i am cautiously optimistic.
I'm still shattered though!!

In answer to your question, I wasn't groggy before the hrt, just very depressed.
I suspect i'm getting bad quality sleep at the moment- i'm shattered after a good 8 hours!- so hopefully that's just an initial side effect for me.
I guess my starting point (of my own oestrogen levels) was so low that 2 pumps are initially overwhelming me? maybe?

Re testosterone:
I have got hold of an illicit sachet!! just the one- not yet opened- so i have it on standby- am i right in thinking that my oestradiol levels need to be reasonable before i start testosterone or do many women use it from the off?- as i said before, my T levels are dire and i realise that that's not really a meno thing.
Thanks again and have a good evening  :)

vintagefiend

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »

good to know, Birdy- it really does help as my mood was horribly low again this morning- it helps so much to hear that it takes a while to settle, that this is normal!
Thank you x (also for info re testosterone)

juliemargaret

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »

Hi vintagefiend...im.peri also and 48. Im.nearly 6 weeks into estrogel.and 100mg utro vaginally. We need to give it time. You mentioned your testosterone being low...how did you kniw this/find this out x

vintagefiend

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 10:24:08 PM »

Thanks again, Birdy.

Jmargaret- I use a lab called medichecks- they have a website and a selection of tests! they're not hideously expensive and a lot of the tests are just finger ****. Just make sure that you don't have any residual oestrogel on your finger tip- I had a very errant reading due to this!