Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Pros and cons of the Mirena against Micronised progesterone  (Read 969 times)

Toothfairy

• First Flush

Hi Everyone

My GP has agreed to prescribe HRT, and has suggested I have a coil for the progesterone part. In my mind I thougt I was going to ask for utrogestan, mainly because I would like to avoid synthetic progesterone, I never got on with birth control, not sure why but my mind went blank in the appointment :) so I agreed to have a coil fitted in the near future.

Please can someone advise if a GP can prescribe utrogestan cream like some women on MM seem to be taking, my undersatnding is that in the UK they only will prescribe progesterone/utrogestan tablets.

Also what are the major health benefit pros and cons of each of three options, the coil, micronised progesteone tablets, and the creams or pessaries.

I am a terrible migraine sufferer, and dont want to expose myself to any higher risk of a stroke which runs in my family, my main symptoms of the menopause are urinary problems, dizziness, total exhasution and lethargy, as well as headaches. Not sure why they call it a phase of life, It is making me feel ill.

Many Thanks for any commments.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:31:53 AM by Toothfairy »

Dotty

Re: Pros and cons of the Mirena against Micronised progesterone
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »

Hi GPs can prescribe utrogestan as a tablet/capsule which can be used orally or vaginally .

Progesterone creams are not licensed in UK x