Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: High oestrogen dose for breast cancer  (Read 3604 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: High oestrogen dose for breast cancer
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »

I think you'll enjoy reading it Jari, it's scientific but written in an accessible way. I truly believe all GPs should be forced to read it....

Wrensong

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 02:20:47 PM »

Hi Jari, yes in my long post earlier I was trying to offer a bit of clarity on what actually happens in terms of surgical options & some of the reasons for those, but also had in mind CLKD's frequently posted question as to why bilateral mastectomy isn't offered, when the implication was that this might enable a patient to more confidently take HRT.

I went searching a few months back for more from Dr Bluming after the last major HRT media reporting of the reinterpretation of risk data, but drew a blank.  So would be very interested to know of any reply you get from him.

I know some ladies regard Dr Newson highly. She disagrees with Bluming saying that she personally feels more work needs to be done before routinely giving hrt to women with past history.
I don't think anyone routinely prescribes HRT to women with a history of BC, but I second what GRL says - I know of well respected UK doctors who have prescribed HRT to women with prior BC successfully treated & who are now considered at low risk of recurrence.  That will of course be after careful consideration, full history taking & with fully informed consent.  No-one in their right mind takes that decision lightly, but many doctors are pragmatists, sympathetic to their patients' needs for decent QOL & want to do what they can to help in difficult circumstances.
Wx
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:58:52 PM by Wrensong »

Jari

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 06:50:57 PM »

That's right Wrensong. I do not know Dr Newson, but I think what she means when she states . routinely . is that she does not happily prescribe to ladies with BC, possibly she means only under certain circumstances etc.
I will definitely let you know what Dr Bluming replies, sadly he has not replied yet..
when I get a chance to go to the library though, I will try to read his book.. J x
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 07:18:30 PM by Jari »

Wrensong

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »

I think you'll find the book interesting, Jari.  It certainly offers some reassurance for women who find themselves in the very difficult situation of needing HRT with a personal history of BC.  I hope you get a reply to your email & will be very interested to know what Dr Bluming says if you do.

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 02:34:52 PM »

Hi Wrensong... our posts crossed paths.

I agree with you, it is very much up to individual circumstances, type of BC, stage, severity of current menopause symptoms etc..

As I have ER BC history and my menopause symptoms are now 2 years since last period and much milder now, I would absolutely not take hrt. Very much a personal choice, but a topic close to my heart and important to share all experiences and knowledge, so as to make informed decisions.

Wishing you well. X

Jari I'm sorry I hadn't realised you had had oestrogen receptive breast cancer and I realise that this does put a different perspective on things, so I hope you find the book Wrensong recommends, illuminating or reassuring.

Hurdity x

Wrensong

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 04:11:50 PM »

Jari, I'm sorry to learn you have a history of breast cancer.  I had thought you had previously stated your concern in relation to HRT use & BC risk was due to family history not personal history.
Wx

Jari

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 07:07:11 PM »

Hurdity and Wrensong, just to be clear, I have not personally had ER BC. I have a family history, not a personal history.
My mother died of ER BC and my sister is in recovery from it.
From what I have read though and I need to check this, but if I remember correctly, a high percentage of BC are ER with no family history. X

Jari

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 07:51:50 PM »

https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/hereditary-breast-and-ovarian-cancer

A bit of a long link, but interesting for anyone concerned about BC risks and different types.

It says, most BC is sporadic, meaning they occur by chance with no known cause..

Wrensong

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »

Hi Jari, thank you for the clarification & I'm sorry to learn the detail of your family circumstances.  I hope your sister continues to do well.  As with your FH, sadly my Mum also died of BC.  It is a worry for all of us with a history involving close family members, but with 1 in 8 women expected to develop BC at some point in their lifetime, it is sadly also a common condition, so likely to crop up in many families of average or greater size. Geneticists have confirmed that the 3 known cases in my family are likely to be random, all being diagnosed postmenopause.  But it's sometimes hard not to wonder whether future research may uncover later presenting variants with a hereditary component.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2021, 03:48:28 PM »

:bouncing: 4 new members
Pages: 1 2 [3]