Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Plastics / Climate change  (Read 49454 times)

Hurdity

Re: Plastics / Climate change
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »

Great they are being put to good use, but it just amazes me that people are still so ignorant and just leave them behind, knowing the troubles with our planet. Unbelievable.

Some festivals encourage people who don't want their tents to leave them in special areas so that they can be donated to good use - if packed up properly so that is so much better than leaving them erected.

Shows our throw away society again. A £20 tent won't last more than a few times anyway. If they only sold better quality ones for £200 not only would they last but it's too much money for most people to throw away.

I agree that we should to be producing such things as cheap low quality festival tents and festival packages - the whole thing is a huge wasteful money-making industry with no thought for the planet so yiung people are encouraged to spend as little as possible for a single use tent and equipment. I love festivals and going to them but everyone should be more responsible these days....

OK perhaps I used the wrong words. The tents are going to people who are potentially illegal economic migrants. I didn't say or imply they were ruffians. The few fleeing tyranny can legitimately claim asylum in the first safe country they get to - and France is a safe country. We all know they are camped at the French ports in order to make illegal entry to the UK. The more the charities help them more will come and more bodies will be found floating in the Channel. Encouraging someone to put their life in danger isn't my idea of charity. Helping them make a better life in their own country is.

I agree that we should help people and governments to improve services and quality of life where standards fall short of what we deem to be necessary - starting with the basics of clean water and sanitation!

However we are extremely lucky by accident of birth to have been born and the majority of us raised in such an affluent part of the world with minimal conflict and I don't blame anyone for wanting to have a slice of what we have, as improvement in their own countries may take years.

"Autumn will bring colder weather and people should be treated with dignity." Quite so CLKD

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »

Tents can be used more than once if properly cared for  ;)

I wouldn't go to a Festival unless in our camper these days  ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »

We haven't had a body in the Channel yet.  It was what the rescuers were told, that a woman fell in.  But it could be a scam, without a body ......

Hopefully once Halloween is over we will be able to secure our Borders.

Don't know what sort of scam that would be :-\

Also how will we be able to secure our Borders any different to now.  Witches spell perhaps.??

If anything they will be less secure as migrants will still be getting into boats, and probably getting through due to increased chaos.  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 06:40:24 AM »

Tents can be used more than once if properly cared for  ;)

I wouldn't go to a Festival unless in our camper these days  ;D

Next year then CLKD - Cropredy in your camper  :D

Taz x

Jari

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »

You'd think the organisers would keep all the tents nicely, set them up and put them away each year and charge a rental for the nights of use...

Wish they'd do that instead and stop all the trashing tents in fields.

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »

Too expensive Taz  ;D and it starts on Thursdays ....... it was 40 years this last weekend and they had wind, more wind, rain  ::)

Did Frank have a good weekend?

What we need regarding borders is more Police etc..  Which is what we can regain control of instead of Europe telling us not to patrol as
closely  >:(.  When we travelled in the 1960s and 1980s there was security .......

I thought in the early hours: those plastic tents could be used on allotments to smother weeds  ;)

Sparrow

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »

What we need regarding borders is more Police etc..  Which is what we can regain control of instead of Europe telling us not to patrol as
closely  >:(.  When we travelled in the 1960s and 1980s there was security .......

When have they said that.  I don't understand???  There is an enormous amount of security, at the ports and in the Channel, due to Terror risks.  It's much greater than in the 1960s and 1980s.!!

Current estimates is that it will take 2 years to have enough boarder staff.  That is nothing to do with the police.  If you lived in my area you would have seen the almost daily updates on TV on what is happening in the Channel so I am mystified by what you mean.

CLKD

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 07:22:02 PM »

Greta Thunberg: Climate change activist sets sail from Plymouth - wouldn't it have been better to take part in the Conference by Skip?

She claims to be going 'green' across the Ocean - she probably will be by the time she reaches the US  ;D.  She doesn't seem to have taken into account how the fibre-glass ocean-going yacht was made.  It is solar powered and apprently gives out no emissions.  Unless someone farts?  Or throws up overboard and where will the slop bucket be thrown .........

They will be eating ?  Probably freeze dried foods? which take energy to grow, harvest, prepare for cooking etc..  She doesn't seem to realise that she isn't being carbon neutral ............

How did she get to Plymouth  :-\

sheila99

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »

But much less of a hypocritic than everyone else who's flown there!

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2019, 06:41:27 AM »

She is raising awareness.  But isn't following through - why not Skype?

Sparrow

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »

I thought she was just an anonymous kid from the suburbs.  Turns out she has very high profile famous parents.

I support what she says but for some reason I find her extremely irritating.

Katejo

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »

I thought she was just an anonymous kid from the suburbs.  Turns out she has very high profile famous parents.

Have you seen Arron Banks' comments?   https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/15/arron-banks-jokes-about-greta-thunberg-and-freak-yachting-accidents?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA4MTU%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Sparrow

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »

Have you seen Arron Banks' comments?   https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/15/arron-banks-jokes-about-greta-thunberg-and-freak-yachting-accidents?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA4MTU%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Oh, why am I not surprised ::)
Says a lot about the character of Mr. Banks  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »

Too expensive Taz  ;D and it starts on Thursdays ....... it was 40 years this last weekend and they had wind, more wind, rain  ::)

Did Frank have a good weekend?

Do you have a ban on listening to music on Thursdays?  ;D Yes Frank had a good Friday there. He's played Italy, Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium since then though so it's probably a distant memory now.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »

Too much music in too short a time!

We went to Bird Fair yesterday and Simon King used the event to push eating less meat and having less children  >:(.  I feel a letter coming on  ;D

Lots of Companies have camp sets up for visitors: MotoGP, F1, Glastonbury ........... some Events also have those pod things ...... which are erected as 'temporary buildings' but stay on site for years  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17